Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Must add that apart from this incident the Holiday village viva was fine and we encountered no other problems.
Must add that apart from this incident the Holiday village viva was fine and we encountered no other problems.
I have their report and was wondering if i have any chance of a claim
What exactly is it you were thinking of claiming for? I don't think anyone can offer you any real advise unless we know this.
I'm not sure there is anything you can claim for. Nobody was injured and you were moved to another room straight away.
I can't really see what you would be claiming for as you say you were moved to another room and there were no further problems with the rest of your holiday :)
Post trumatic stress is what you can claim for, you didn't know if the buliding was going to collapse and all of you being killed.

A number of years ago the picafort park which is a thomson gold hotel now, a whole block collapsed. I wonder if the ca'n picafort area is prone to subsidence. Me I would of spent another night in the place, I would of considered it could happen to any part of the hotel.

Sounds like carry on holiday where the hotel collapsed at the end of the film in spain.
You probably can't claim anything for this incident (the case of Lucas v Avro would be refered to) but you can help others. If you haven't got a reps report on a company form, or even if you have, write to First Choice complaining about the incident and ask for an explanation. They will probably fob you off but keep the letter. Keep the reply - if it goes wrong in the future you have the evidence they knew!
I didnt think that we would be able to claim but we didn't get an apology from First choice or the hotel and i was always thinking i heard tiles cracking when ever i walked in the appartment.

The incident happened around midnight and my 10 month old was wakened when we moved appartment and we had trouble getting him back to sleep. My parents were also scared that it might happen to their room and wouldn't stay in their room and had to sleep with us in our new appartment (only 1 night ).

The workmen were in for most of the next day lifting and relaying the floor.
Hi nezi, I can totally appreciate that it must have been very scarey for you, I would have been the same. Sadly I still don't think you will get compensation and I hope you never experience it again :)
Just contact a personal injuries solicitor and tell them what happened to you, if they agree it caused trumatic stress then you will be able to claim against the tour op. It doesn't matter it happened in majorca, the tour op is still reponsible for your health and saftey. This not like a claim for a bad holiday its a personal injury claim, the minimum payout per person is around £2500. You won't have to do anything the personal injuries solicitor will be a no win no fee.
I think it's an absolute disgrace and a sad reflection of society that you are actually encouraging this person to make a personal injury claim for this!!!

The reason why people who have legitimate claims and complaints against a company can sometimes find themselves 'battling' for the genuine compensation they deserve is that companies have to face so many ridiculous complaints/claims as this, which slows the whole system down for everyone else.

Before anyone asks, no I don't work for FC, I just can't bear the compensation culture and people wanting everything for nothing, rights over responsibility.

IMO I don't think the above would be said if the person was suffering from post traumatic stress.
IMO I don't think the above would be said if the person was suffering from post traumatic stress.
I totally agree. Whilst this was an unfortunate incident, and one that no holidaymaker wants to experience, I fail to see how a claim for PTSD will hold up since the remainder of the holiday does not appear to have been effected by the original poster's own admission. Not only that, but does PTSD actually constitute an *injury* ?
mj monrose, I totally agree with you, and I'm sure nezi will too.
People don't know much about post trumatic stress. The effects can appear weeks even months later after the event. Think of it this way, if you and your family where in a apartment that the floor started drop would you not find it trumatic. Nezi had his wife and 10 month old son and elderly parents next. What went through his when the floor moved, is the building collapse and will my family be safe. His parents next door were so terrified they would stay in their apartment. What would of happened if the floor didn't stop moving and it collapsed. You don't know what affects it has on his wife and parents, even if he has not been affected.

Events affect people in different ways.

I make no apology for telling nezi to contact a personal injury solicitor.
elderly parents
He never said they were elderly.

Anyway I still think that if the incident, which I'm not saying wasn't a horrible experience, had caused that much trauma I really don't think think they would have set foot back in the hotel.
Monrose

People claiming compensation is nothing new, the only difference is the rich are not the only one's that can afford to make a claim. In my opinion the pay outs are too low and there is no punitive damages paid.

Its only when companies know they will have to pay for their mistakes they will make sure everything is safe. I don't see a compensation culture.

I was in a road traffic accident and a car hit me from behind, a friend of said why don't you claim for whip lash, I said no because my neck does not hurt. I lost 3 days of earnings and the others drivers insurance company got thereself out of paying for my lost earnings. Thats me being honest and I was well and truely stuffed by the insurance company.

I was in a road traffic accident last december and a motor cyclist crashed into my door. Me and wife thought he had died and the ambulance people worked on him for 20 mins before getting him to hospital. I was told by people the next day motor cyclist had died and it wasn't until 3 weeks later on xmas eve the police told me he would recover from serious head injuries.

My wife keeps thinking something is going to crash into us when we are out in the car, she has had to go on medication which has had to be changed a number of times because nothing worked and still doesn't work . After 3 weeks of hell waiting to find out if the rider was going to survive I thought I was alright. But months later I started getting flash backs and night terrors. I only have to see a motor cyclist and I feel sick to the pit of my stomach. This is nearly a year after the accident happened and I don't think I will be ever free from the effects of seeing the motor cyclist as we belived he died.

I can understand what affects a traumatic experience can effect somebody. The person who had the trumatic experience may not show and signs of trauma for upto 6 to 8 months later.

Thats why I say the affects my not be present until some time later and by contacting a personal injury solicitor he will find out if he has a valid claim.

The police told me I did nothing wrong and it was the motor cyclist who was at fault. He got a 8 points and £140 fine and £70 costs for no licence and no insurance, because of his injuries the undue care charge was withdrawn on his court appearance.
Agree with mj-monrose I'm afraid

Its only when companies know they will have to pay for their mistakes they will make sure everything is safe. I don't see a compensation culture.

Not quite sure how this applies in nezi's case

Sorry

Peter
I wonder if some are not forgetting the objective of HT - The aim is to offer assistance and advice where someone has a problem.

We are not ( I Hope ) a campaign group, with an avowed aim of encouraging others to sue and be damned anyone who has offended us in some way.

Life is full of incidents that at times cause us concern. Just because we have a near miss does not mean that someone is guilty of an offence. Quite often we ourselves have contributed.

Complaints where justified may deserve some sort of response if only an apology.

There are many complaints that T&Cs seem to get more and more one sided in favour of the suppliers (TOs)

If they are to constantly be sued then there is no wonder they seek to protect themselves.

Just because a case is not defended should not be taken to mean that they are guilty. It is more often the case that it is cheaper than defending.

fwh
I have to agree with fwh here. But that said, the original poster asked if they might have a valid claim. Since they clearly stated this:
the Holiday village viva was fine and we encountered no other problems.
I personally fail to see how successful they will be. PTSD can indeed manifest itself at anytime, days, weeks, months, possibly years later. But then how does the original poster prove that it is related to the unfortunate incident that occurred to them whilst on their holiday?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.