Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Hotels rooms are exempt from the smoking laws too, so if you are booking a room make sure to ask for either a non-smoking room or a smoking room, whichever suits your needs.
Haven clearly need to sort out some dedicated "smoking" caravans... Premier travel inn have done a good job of this..

ATB,J.
I sympathise Fuzzylogique- a few years back we ended up in a travelodge type room (can't remember which chain) which had clearly had smokers in it and even though my husband isn't badly asthmatic it played havoc with his chest. I thought most places these days offered smoking or non smoking accomodation, it just goes to show how careful you have to be still. I'm particularly surprised at Haven, I thought they were supposed to be family orientated. Hope you managed to get moved.

Pam :D
On the Haven Holidays Website (HERE, the only thing that they mention with regards to the new 'No Smoking' regulations is: :arrow:

"Due to new smoking legislations, all venues and enclosed public places within the Park are non-smoking. Smoking is permitted only in designated areas of the Park".

I find it strange that since the accomodation that is used by Guests all be that a caravan, a chalet, a lodge or a hotel room, are all technically speaking "enclosed public spaces" that smoking is still permitted :roll:
I find it strange that since the accommodation that is used by Guests all be that a caravan, a chalet, a lodge or a hotel room, are all technically speaking "enclosed public spaces" that smoking is still permitted

They are not at all "enclosed public spaces" any more than your own home and, (this really annoys me), HM Prisons.

However, hotel rooms, caravans, chalets etc can be smoking or non smoking if the owner so wishes, and depending on demand. Many are totally non smoking these days, and one should ask at booking if it's going to be a problem.

Peter
This is an excerpt from the Smokefree website:

"What places are exempt from smokefree law?
There are very limited exemptions from the smokefree law, as set out in the Smoke-free (Exemptions and Vehicles) Regulations. These regulations include exemptions for bedrooms in hotels, and for care homes, hospices and prisons. In most cases, exemptions do not apply to the entirety of premises, but to "designated rooms", that must meet requirements specified in the regulations. The law also includes a limited exemption for performers, which applies to the performer only during the performance, where the artistic integrity of a performance makes it appropriate for a person who is taking part to smoke.

Am I going to be guaranteed a smokefree hotel room?
What is to stop the hotelier letting the room as smoking one day and smokefree the next?
While smokefree legislation will not guarantee that people will get a smokefree hotel room, the regulations require hotel proprietors to specifically designate the hotel rooms that are not smokefree and ensure that hotel rooms for smoking are clearly marked. "

This is the link to their website where you can read the above, along with more information. http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/faq/exemptions.html
Well I'm a bit confused now :roll: What is a Hotel room if it is not an enclosed Public space :?:

It is a room with four walls a ceiling and a floor, that makes it 'enclosed' in my eyes. And it is use my paying guests, ie the Public.
These regulations include exemptions for bedrooms in hotels

So although hotel bedrooms are enclosed and for the public to use, they are exempt.
The law is pretty clear. Hotel rooms appear to be exempt as Tishtosh has stated.

If anybody is not happy with a room because of it smelling of smoke, they are quite entitled to complain and perhaps ask for another room or alternatively "vote with their feet" and stay at a hotel/accommodation that does provide rooms where nobody prior has smoked in.

Please remember that this section of the forum is dedicated to complaints that are usually dealt with according to the prevailing law.

Lets not let this get into a smoking/anti-smoking topic or go into the fine details of the smoking legislation :wink:

Mark :D
BHIC and tishtosh, I would imagine, that once someone has paid for a hotel room, whether it is smoking or non smoking, it becomes private for the length of that persons stay? I would be very cross if the "public" had access to my hotel room :lol:
I am quite surprised that any site owner allows smoking in any mobile homes as unlike hotel rooms, you don't have a potentially long walk through enclosed public areas to go outside to smoke. So I can fully understand why you were unhappy. I am a smoker but even before the smoking ban I didn't smoke inside the mobile homes I've stayed in in France.

So far as hotels go, it is up to the owner of the hotel. Many have become completely non smoking. Larger ones, those in chains, will have smoking rooms but I believe you are in a very good position to complain if you are given a smoking room without specifically asking for one. Indeed it would be a bit of bad luck really as even before the ban came into place there tended to be fewer rooms allowing smoking than otherwise.

Hotel rooms are your private room for the duration of your stay so are not classed as public spaces. Many hotels though have welcomed the new legislation and have decided to keep their premises completely smoke free.
I went to Florida last November and stopped in the Springhill Suites on Universal drive (highly recommended) but as a smoker I had to go down four floors and thru the lobby to have a fag!
I am a Smoker but I never smoke in my hotel room or caravan when i am on Holiday I only really enjoy a ciggie with a pint but if i do fancy smoking i go outside and smoke.

I have just returned from a holiday at Seawick Holiday Village but thats another story holidaytruths/viewtopic.php?t=105850 and the chalet there smelt of stale smoke even so i didnt smoke inside during my stay.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.