Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
We went on the Thomson Spirit with a friend's mum who, although not in a wheelchair, had difficulty walking.

I would suggest going on a smaller ship, not one of the superliners and getting a cabin in the centre of the ship. It doesn't matter which deck as there are plenty of lifts.

Our friends hired a wheelchair from the medical centre on the ship for going ashore.

Cruising is quite a good holiday for disabled people as it isn't too far to walk to the entertainment and restaurants. There are always wheelchair users onboard and they seem to manage fine.

There are usually excursions offered which have limited walking involved.

Remember to ask for wheelchair assistance at the airport when booking as Palma airport is massive with a lot of walking involved.

luci :wave
Thanks for that Luci.I am looking forward to trying a cruise just want to make sure i book on the right type of ship
I went on the Ocean Village last summer on a med cruise from Palma.
I use a wheelchair most of the time although I can walk short distances, the only problem I encountered was when we had to use a tender to shore, I did manage it but I had to step onto the tender boat, the crew were very helpful though so you need not worry.
The whole ship was great to get around with lifts to every deck & the crew on the ship were always keen to help & assist.

If you do decide to cruise with Ocean Village you should inform them about your limitations prior to booking.

Good luck & have a great time, I certainly did :)
I cannot speak from my own experience, but as we have a disabled daughter who may want a cruise holiday one day, we always ask any wheelchair users on board if they are happy with their cabins etc. We have had good comments on Black Watch, Aurora, Oceana and Grand Princess. The biggest problem, if any,seems to be with the tender ports. If you can avoid or limit these you should be ok.
thanks to everyone for you help and advice
Just remember when you are transferring from the ship to the tender or from the ship down the gangway at the port you are not insured by the cruise line and probably not by your own insurance company as well. So be very careful and you are ok. I have been on many cruises and this has happened to people I have met at their cost

Legless
:shock:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.