Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
help and advice
13 Posts
Dear Andy, can't really help you but we are in the same position. The day after we booked (for next June so not a last minute sell-off) the price was reduced by £250 pp. Tried phoning, chap was sympathetic but "nothing we can do". Tried emails but they haven't responded to those. That has put me off cancelling and rebooking- chap on phone said that as I booked on the internet, if I wanted to cancel it would need to be by email. Even though we would be better off losing the deposit and rebooking, I'm not confident they would reply in time for me to rebook.
So- it looks like an expensive lesson! Thomson just don't treat their early bookers well, so we won't book early again, no matter how tempted! :(
I suppose it's like buying furniture the day before the sale starts, but not a happy bunny.
kate
The reason they can offer lower prices at this stage is because of the many who sign up and pay full fare! They cannot offer lower fares to all, and that is why they cannot just drop a fare which you already presumably thought was good value. Always best to wait, we have had some stonking bargains on better lines than Thomson, for much less.
thanks guys, problem is one couple joining us, its their honeymoon, so cant risk them losing theirs.

Basically, we were adding things up, and thomson have had over 33 grand from me over the last 11 years minimum, probably more as some years we have done multiple cruises.

They obviously have issues with treating repeat customers with a little respect, therefore no longer hold my respect.

I'm arranging to visit the store for one last push and then look to cancel and reboot, since my last post the price has dropped another 100.

im gutted at losing 450 but save 600, also if anything goes wrong i will be pushing for some form of recompense too, especially if the refit is a lie or the plumbing is not fixed.

Have always defended them in the past but never again. In my line of business, we keep the repeat customers happy with discounts etc to make them want to return as its cheaper on the old marketing budget., pah
You don't have a problem.

Prices of all holidays fluctuate and cruising companies use fluid pricing just like airlines do. An empty cabin is an expensive cabin - there is no on board spend generated from the absent passengers, so discounted prices are factored in to the total revenue return for the ship.

At the time you booked the terms and conditions of that booking must have been acceptable to you, otherwise you wouldn't have booked - as there were 8 of you you needed to make sure all their requests could be accommodated, the extra cost you paid by booking early was the opportunity cost to you of knowing all 8 could go on the holiday.

If you want loyalty discount choose an operator who have a loyalty scheme which offers said discount.
None of us were tricked into this, we all purchased the cruise knowing her age etc, we just wanted to all go together on the same ship and see if we could enjoy it like we did on the Emerald.

I think that you've answered your own question here. All holiday companies do this - they price the product depending on the market at the time of purchase. It's a regular and frequent occurence for them to reduce the prices the closer it gets to departure so that they can ensure that they sell all the seats/beds/cabins. It works in reverse with the low cost airlines who take advantage of the fact that if you do need to fly at relatively short notice then you have little option other than to pay whatever they think the market can stand.

Companies are only really interested in offering loyalty schemes and discounts to repeat customers if they are going to find it difficult to sell their products otherwise, want to find out the sort information about their customers that such schemes generate or think that they are in danger of losing customers to their competitors. It look as if Thomson don't need to do this - even though this ship is one that mightn't be popular with other potential cruisers you did book this with your eyes open and on the whole they seem to have a steady market for their products at the moment. Some companies do honour 'price drops' and will refund the difference but the only way to avoid this situation in the future is to only book with those companies that do.

SM
thanks eveyone

I think we can honestly say Thomsons have lost a long term customer here, and although they can sit content knowing they ripped me off this time, they have lost out of future years travel, especially as my wife retires soon, and our holidays were going to get more frequent and further afield. In fact our next holiday was far east for 12 people. oh dear.

Plus, im not settling for second best at this cost

Andy :really
fatandy1972 wrote:
thanks eveyone

But you were happy with second best when you chose Thomsons at a high price in the first place.
windjammer wrote:
fatandy1972 wrote:
thanks eveyone

But you were happy with second best when you chose Thomsons at a high price in the first place.

Thanks windjammer

The problem is, I really liked the Thomson setup, even though I could have got a better ship, for less money, the whole setup and staffing was excellent in the past.

I also had many friends in the crew and on other ships and this all stemmed from being a frequent traveller on the Emerald, god bless her.

Anyhow, in the future I will obviously have to find someone else, any recomendations, based on how I prefer the Thomson's way of English language only (no costa 5 languages for every annoucement) English money, english entertainment.

Andy
We did a few Thomson Airtours and Island and I know what you mean about the feel.

Problem is Thomsons have become a monopolly and the prices reflect this,
Remember Island used to come down to £299 when they were First Choice.

We would like to do another Thomson but when you can get a week on Celebrity for £410(inc tips) why pay Thomons £450-£500

No matter how bad an experience I would never write off a ship or a cruise line you never know when the deals will come.
With Thomson you know when you book, price drops will not get you refunds so sometimes best to wait.

P&O may be your next best choice for the "brit" feel, smaller are Fred Olsen which is very british.
My guess is Cruise and Maritime with the marco polo will be mainly British.

You can start to build up the familiarity fairly quickly on a new line if you do 2 cruises fairly close together

What date are you sailing it may pay to cancell and pick a new line now, 2 weeks caribbean inc flights on P&O for £799 in Nov/Dec.
thanks mate, but as said, we have a number of people around the country to coordinate and its under 2 months so dont wanna rock the boat now

I am sure my holiday will be amazing, so looking forward to Cuba

Thomson have just lost a guaranteed customer, and being in marketing they should be looking at customer acquisition and retention, not customer alienation and offense

Ho Hum

I've already grabbed a fred olsen brochure to find out where next to go

Andy
Hi All
Because of this post i have just checked our details as we are booked for June next year, which we booked as soon as the Dream details had been released, we received the AL package and the price is still coming out £560 less than the today prices. We booked on line/phone with TC as we do most times.
:que
Roger
Hi Roger- the price has gone back up on my cruise now, too. I guess the best thing is not to look, but I happened to see a big advert on a cruise site for Thomson's sale the day after I booked! Won't look any more.
kate
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.