America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi Liz

You may be able to book a Charter Flight for Feb 09 but the Scheduled Flight Prices do not come out until 12 months before your flight date ( Exactly 366days I believe but I stand to be corrected ). With Charter flights I believe the later you book the more likely you are to get a good deal. As you are going in February there is more likelihood of this happening but I'm not sure how near the actual date of your holiday you would need to wait to get the best deal. Personally, I've always flown Scheduled from Manchester and this is the opposite to Charter, the general rule being the earlier you book the better deal you get. If I'm not mistaken, only Virgin flies direct to Orlando International Airport (MCO) and the other airlines will take you to their 'hub airport' then you change to an internal flight to Orlando. Incidentally, all the Charter flights land direct at Sanford Airport (SFB) which is several miles north of Orlando but actually makes very little difference in terms of getting to your resort as MCO is extremely busy and often takes longer to get through. The downside with Virgin is that they tend to be expensive but, apparently, they do have regular 'sales' on their site. I've booked two previous flights with 'Bon Voyage' (Google it !) and have found this travel Agent ( Based in Southampton ) to be most helpful.

liz mc wrote:
but costs are essential.
If this is the case then I would recommend the DIY route when booking your Flights, Hire car & Villa. The latter should be cheaper than booking 2 rooms in a hotel. Our family (2 Adults/ 1 Child ) is sharing one with another family (2/2) in April and it is definitely saving us a lot of money. The cost you have been quoted seems reasonable but there is plenty of other sites advertising Villas to compare what you have been offered.( Google Orlando Villas ) I would recommend 'lastminute villas.net'. where there is a facility to enter various details such as number of bedrooms, location etc., etc and the Villa Owners will email you a quote. You can then peruse them at your leisure and decide between yourselves which is the best value.

As you've been before I'm not sure whether you've heard of another website called 'the DIBB' ( Just Google it )which is very useful for information about everything Orlando/ Florida. I would also recommend askdaisy.net( Google askdaisy ) which as well as being a useful website advertises a very useful book called 'A Brits Guide to Orlando, Florida and Walt Disney World' .... or something like that. I found this book to be a godsend when booking my first ever DIY holiday to Florida as it covers all the things you need to think about.

Hope this is of some use to you and good luck in booking your holiday - Keith
Hi liz :D

Another type of accommodation you could consider if a villa for just one family proves too expensive (they often seem better value for two families), is a Suite Hotel, they are popular with Americans. You can get them with one and two bedrooms, the later of which would be better for 5 adults as it would probably sleep six (sofa bed in lounge) and afford better privacy for you all.

You get the best of both worlds as you have hotel facilities, but far better sleeping arrangements than all being cramed in one bedroom, with two doubles and a roll-up bed.

I stayed in the Sheraton Vistiana Suites and I think there ate Sheraton Vistiana Resorts as well. There are others though, Bahama Bay also seems popular. The two bed ones dont cost much more than the one beds. You also get a kitchen/lounge/dining area. As its America you get dishwashers/tumble driers/microwaves/washing machines as standard (not that I'm really in to that type of thing on holiday LOL)

We went with Virgin, but I'm sure most are available to DIY as people often own them and rent them out.

Doe
Hi.... with a party of 5 i would prehaps look at a resort condo, certainly £1000 for a 3bed villa in Febuary is over the top you will get a good quality villa for a bit less by contacting owners direct. You will also find by speaking to owners that more often or not they have contacts for flights and car hire.
Someone mentioned thedibb website which has a good selection of villas and condos and if you were to find one you like you can ask if any forum members have stayed in the place and get there opinion of it.
You are better off finding a villa on a forum based membership site as they are hard for owners to get on and you will get good help from the owners..

Malcolm
Thanks everyone
I have been getting quotes today for £800 for 2 weeks in a 4 bed (inc pool heating & other costs)and am happy with that, by the way if any villa owners can match or beat that please PM me please and I will have a look at your website.
Just worried about Flights at the min, but am going to have a look over the next few weeks as they should be on sale a year in advance which is only next month.

Anymore help appreciated Liz.
KWJR wrote:
but the Scheduled Flight Prices do not come out until 12 months before your flight date ( Exactly 366days I believe but I stand to be corrected ).

I am corrected!!!! - I have just read on the Dibb that that Scheduled Airlines do not take bookings more than 330 days ahead. Just thought I'd let you know Liz - I don't want to mislead you.

Keith
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.