Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Can't really give you much advice for the West of the island but I think you'd be better spending your first 5 days in Stalis rather than Malia or Gouves as Malia may be a bit too wild and Gouves a little quiet if you want good nightlife. Stalis is very family orientated, has a superb sandy beach ideal for kids with a gentle slope into the sea and plenty of good bars and restaurants.
Yes- definitely don't look at Malia. Stalis is a good start. You can visit Heraklion from there. When we went to Crete we weren't really into moving around as much as we are now so only did organised excursions. I'm wondering if you need 3 different stops Someone who knows more of Crete might give ideas for 2 stops where, with a car, you can see most of what you want. It would give more pool or beach time for the kids. I well rememember feeling like a drowned rat after a day siteseeing as it was just so hot. :sun just realised you are a new member
:welcome to HT
Hi Ivan - like Fiona says, Crete in July is absolutely boiling, so think about the heat when planning your trip. I too would suggest Stalis as a starting point. A walk into old Malia is well worth the effort, but I wouldn't want to be based there with children. There is a superb beach in Stalis and enough nightlife to keep everyone happy.
thanks for the answers! and what do you think about Anisassaras or Analipsi? I know that the beach is very good but respect to stalis maybe there are not shops and bar for a good nightlife... maybe?!
And someone can also suggest me for an agency economic to rent a car in Heraklion airport?
thanks again
ciao!
Hi, if you are only there for 14 days I would suggest that you keep things simple and spend one week in the Heraklion area for the main ancient historical sites and then spend the other week in the Chania area. As you are hiring a car you'll be able to visit the Rethymnon area relatively easily from either Heraklion or Chania. Bear in mind that the western end of the island is quieter than either the central or eastern regions but it is beautiful with lovely beaches. I'm a fan of both Kalives and Almerida though they might be too quiet for you but both have lovely beaches and enough tavernas to give you enough variety for a week's stay. But Chania is very much a town and if you stay centrally then you won't have a beach right on the doorstep for the kids.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.