Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
help please
5 Posts
Yes, it can be a bit daunting at first but thousands like me do it every year so don`t worry. Are you used to using a travel agent or DIY. If you use a travel agent you just have to tell them You are taking a wheelchchair and they will arrange for you to have help with boarding. Tell the check-in clerk that your husband wants to stay in his chair and they will put it in the hold when you board. When you leave the plane you have to wait until every one else gets off and someone will meet you with your chair. Occasionally, this doesn`t happen and your chair ends up on the carousel so they provide an airport chair. Obviously, look for a resort which is flat. You won`t find many dropped kerbs in Europe and have to go out of your way to cross roads. A resort with a long flat promenade and a hotel close to it is best. I like Playa Blanca in Lanzarote. There are lots of hotels on the promenade which stretches for miles. Puerto pollensa in Majorca is another favourite.
Another option is to use a dedicated disability travel agent, who arrange to pick you up from the airport in accessible transport and sell holidays to wheelchair accessible hotels and apartments. I have used http://www.accessibletravel.co.uk and can recommend them. We had a wonderful holiday through their company to Cyprus a few years ago to the Eva apartments. Even if you don`t use them have a look at their website to find out which resorts and accomodation are suitable.
You can PM me if you want any info on holidays I have taken. I have taken my chair abroad for the past 20 years. Over the last few years i have taken to hiring a scooter or power chair, in Lanzarote and Portugal, which gives hubby a break from pushing and gives me a bit of independance.
Please let me know if there is any more information I can give you.
Thank you for your help. I will look at the web site you recommend. I think I will book with an agent this time, but am hoping to go on two holidays this year.
tenerife is flat but its a 4+ hour flight, Fuengirolla is very flat all along the seafront and there is drop down kerbs everywere,benalmadena is flat on the front going towards torremolinos.I am going here in July (click on link)

http://www.palmbeachclub.com/ENG%20Palmbeach.htm

and have spoke to them direct and they say it is suitable for people with disabilitys,

i am not in a wheelchair but cannot walk very far so i hire a scooter, and the one i use on the costa del sol are mobens (click below)which are the besyt priced ones i have used and also the lady who owns it is disabled which is a very big help. Hope this helps

http://www.mobility-spain.com/
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.