Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Hi and welcome to HT!

It's unfortunate that you didn't complain at the time as it might now look as if you are only complaining because she has retained your security deposit.

If the cottage is listed by the local Tourist Board, you could try complaining to them about the condition of the cottage or even ask them or Consumer Direct how you should proceed.

luci :wave
Sorry to hear about your problem... did you take any photos to back up your case?

ATB,J.
I'd agree with Luci that you should have complained, for 2 reasons.

First, as Luci says you are now into a second argument over the cheque so it could look bad.

Second, had you complained at the time and given them the theoretical chance to fix things it would look better in case of future legal action. It's like complaining to the rep on a foreign package tour rather than waiting to get home and then writing to head office.

Photos definately useful, especially if the place has since been tidied up. It's unlikely (impossible?) that mould could have grown in the time you were there and due to something you did.

How as the booking made? Was it direct or via an agent and were there any booking conditions?

How did you get the keys, were you met at the door or did you have to go to a different address to collect them? How did you return them?
...and one more question! When did this happen? If this was recently in a well booked cottage then presumably someone else was there shortly before you. or was this start of the season and you were first victim?
thanks so much for all your help. It looks from the guest book that there were a couple in just before us and only one other family to stay in 2011. However, we didn't write in the guest book so maybe neither did the others. It was booked through an Independent Devon website whom I have complained to.

The keys were an odd thing - they didn't arrive before we left even though they were posted. They did however, arrive on way on our return. The owner had not paid enough postage and I had to pay to open the package. As a result we still have the keys but will need to send back soon.

Jemma
This sounds like a real cowboy operation, you can name the website and cottage (but not people) to help us dig into their terms and conditions - and to see who else knews about them!
What was the name of the company as we too had a bad experience with a holiday property in Devon.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.