Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Capri is easy as you just come off the ship cross over and there you will find the ferry or Hydofoil. You buy your ticket from a kiosk/office and then off you go. If I recall correctly it takes around 45 minutes.

Sue
Thanks Keela

How much is the ticket? I was going to book the daytrip which includes lunch for £75 as I have heard it is really expensive to eat and drink on the Island?
Is it easy to get around the island by foot or would I have to get transport to get about?

Liz, might I suggest you look at the Cruise forums list given above. You will find one called CruiseCritic which has threads similar to this and a lot of people have given alternative shore excursion providers at the ports you mention.

(Mods, I hope that this will not be considered as spamming, but as I have found very useful information on this site on this topic, I hope it will help Liz get the replies she's looking for as well as from our members.)
In Ville-france just get the tender to shore and to your right and up some steps there is the train station.It is a few years since we went and caught train to Montecarlo then Montecarlo back to Villfrance or you could stay on the train and go to Nice.The cost was minimal compared to the trips.We went to Florence and Pisa on organised trips but thought Pisa was a let down.We have been to Florence twice and it is a must see but on both occassions we went on trips so I can't comment on diy.Would never do Rome diy as we learnt so much from the guided tours.If you do diy to Rome watch your valuables when on the trains buses etc as just like in any big city they are rife with pickpockets.

Maryb
Thanks Mary, will do Montecarlo via train as you suggested. We have booked the tour now for Florence/Pisa.
Take care
Liz.
No problem.I'am so envious Florence is one of my favourite places it's awesome.

Maryb
We did Voyager of The Seas in October 2006 and did all the excursions ourselves, worked out much cheaper :)

We caught the train from Ville-France to Rome and it cost next to nothing :tup
Debbie wrote:

We caught the train from Ville-France to Rome and it cost next to nothing :tup

Oops, a little typo there? ;)

luci :wave
Hi

Haven't been to Naples or Capri but the other places you mentioned are easy to negotiate on a DIY trip.
For Florence you will dock in Livorno which is a very busy commercial port. For this reason you will need to catch the shuttle to the port gates. You can then get a bus to the train station and from there the same train will take you to Florence and Pisa for just a few euros. As long as you allow plenty of time for the return journey it will be fine. Florence is gorgeous , you will enjoy it !!

From Villefranche, it is even easier, turn right when you get off the ships tender, you will see the train station. The train goes along the coast, to Montecarlo one way, and to Nice and Cannes the other.
The Grand Prix was on the day we were there and we had a fantastic time. The train was very cheap and easy.

For Rome, you will dock in Civitavecchia. From the port gates, walk along a few hundred yards and you will see a sign on the left for the train station. For 9 euros you can travel to Rome and use the metro all day on the same ticket. Again , allow plenty of time. I think our ships excursion cost around £75 - 80 per person. We spent about 15 pounds for two people. If you want to visit the Vatican, get off the train at St Pietro , it will be easier to beat the crowds before the coaches from the ship arrive !

Enjoy !!
I can't remember what I paid to go over to Capri as it is about 5 years ago. Somewhere around £10 but that is just a guess. If it had been very expensive I would definitely remembered. Maybe £15 just don't know for certain. We ate in a small restaurant and it was not expensive or again I would have remembered. We sat out on a terrace with a beautiful view of the bay.

Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.