Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Mythos Apts are not too far up the hill. There are restaurants at the top but they are a bit overpriced so I would head down not up for dining. There is plenty of choice. But don't stick to Platanias which is a bit like Oslo or Stockholm with sun. It's mainly Scandinavians and rather over-developed. You are in reach of some of the best scenery on Crete so get to the White Mountains, and Falasarna beach (voted best in Europe). Try also Elafonissi Beach - beautiful. The best beaches near you are further along in Agia Marina, near the Santa Marina Hotel. Take the boat trip to Balos lagoon.
Crete is rather different and better than much of Greece. The locals are famous for their independent spirit (a bit like the Corsicans). I got back last week and miss it already!
Happy to answer any more questions......been going there since the 70's when Platanias was just a little hill-top village and the beaches were covered in grass.
thanks so much .i appreciate info . can you tell me if there is a supermarket nearby and can you reccommend a good trad greek restaurant ?
For a great welcome and good food just go down the hill. Turn left onto the main road and keep walking until immediately after a small children's play park turn left again and you will see on your right the tavern called throsia. It actually looks in greek like dpooia. The welcome is great and so is the food and it's reasonably priced. They do amazing snails!
If you can get into Chania (easy by bus) go to Kanario.
INKA supermarkets are everywhere.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.