Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi, i think you might be able to hire a cot from somewhere, just ask when you get there. If i were you id take a travel cot - as the cots over there aren't up to EU standards - thats what the travel agent told us when we took my baby who was 7months old at the time.
Thanks yummymummy, it is Lorna here Kenny's other half and I think I will persuade him to just take a travel cot (you know what men are like they want to travel light but I think you are right and that is something we should probably not negotiate on if our cots are of a higher standard and we can always leave it there). How did you get on with your baby when he was a toddler and what part of Goa were you in? I am quite nervous about taking our little one on the plane but we are flying business class as I thought that would be easier for our sons first time flying although I have no idea how he will get on, I am also hoping with it being business class that we will have much more weight allowance, hence the travel cot and buggy etc. When we were last in Goa I was pregnant with him (shock for both of us as it was for my 40th birthday and last thing I expected was to be taking a wee extra with us lol)now he is so active that the thought of travelling with him is a bit scary and I am wondering how he will cope with the heat as we are from the cold highlands of Scotland but I am also looking forward to having three weeks of just totally relaxing. We have hired a villa in Anjuna which we got from 16th December till 7th Jan 08 for £500 which I thought was great price (I found it by accident on the net) and it has all mod cons so we can do our own washing and everything it also has two swimming pools so I will have to be very vigilant with the baby not that I wouldnt be but it is just scary when they are that active and bolt at the first sight of an open door!!

For the record, does anyone know whether the north or south is better for toddlers, we were north last time and even further north this time.

When we first went out we stayed with a lovely couple in a fab area in Candolim but we only had the room although breakfast was brought to us every morning and it truly was lovely but it will be nice to have our own base. My sister and her man are coming out to stay with us for two weeks at Christmas and another couple of friends are coming to stay with us for a night at New Year so it will be a bit like home from home just not wet and miserable. Anyway, we will post how we got on when we get back. Your reply was helpful and thank you.
Hi Lorna,

When i first took my son to Goa we stayed in Arpora for 3 weeks. I havent yet been to South Goa - we've been to Goa around 6-7 times, and haven't tried the south yet :( , might do one day though.
At least you have been to Goa before so you know what to expect, what beach shacks to go to etc etc.
I didnt really want to take the travel cot, but with him being so young we decided to. What we did was because i went with my parents and young brother, i packed my sons clothes,bottles and other essential things in my case, and my brother who was 8 at the time put his clothes in my parents cases - so the travel cot was classed as my brothers weight allowance, and the pushchair was free as all babies can take a pram.

hope you have a good time :)
Nicola
hi we are going to goa in November with our 15month old son, i have been twice before, but i never looked for any baby items like nappies or jarred food, do they sell pampers and heinz baby food in goa??, any other tips would be apprecited..
when i first took my son in 2003/2004, he was nearly 7 months old and i took about a weeks supply of nappies and swimming nappies, and took his own baby food ( we had him on the dried baby food which you mix hot water with, similar to jarred heinz food but the powder).
Whilst we were there we got talking to a woman and she said Goa sells everything.

My advice is to take a few packs of swimming nappies, a few days supply of normal nappies as you can get pampers nappies in nearly every shop.
Im not too sure about baby food, as ive never seen any shops selling jarred baby food, but if i were you id take a few packs of those baby food which come in powder in a pack(a lot lighter than jars), and also take a few dishes with lids on to store the food in.

you could also get any restaurant or beach shack to blend the food, and you can even watch them do it.
When i took my son the year after he was around your babys age and we got them to blend some potato, carrots and gravy together.

Hope this has helped.

Nicola
Hi there, can anyone tell me if it is possible to get an indian lady (like an au pair) who would come with us or work for us a few days a week to look after our little one. We would not want to leave our baby with them but for them to come with us and just for an odd day here or there we can relax and they can chase after our toddler. We would pay all their expenses and travel back and forth to us from wherever they stay and pay them a decent wage. We are out in Goa, Anjuna for 3 weeks and it would be nice to get a day here or there to ourselves (I hope that does not sound selfish), it was only a thought but any advice would be appreciated. We do know the Indians love children and it is not as if we would not be there with him. Any help on this would be great. Our toddler will be 19 months when we go there.
Many thanks
We will be taking our 4 year old son again this year and are yet again wondering about malaria tabs.
What have you guys done?
Hi Surfstak
My son and myself have both had the Hep B jags and I have to get him malaria tablets which he takes one week before he goes and one week after he comes back. I also have been advised by the doctor to get him a mosquito net which is impregnated with anti mosquito solution. Me myself I have to take the malaria tablets but I havent got them yet and I think I take them before I go and after I come back. I went to Goa the first time when I was pregnant with my son and took no anti malaria things at all and was fine. This time I am going to take them but am a bit worried as I see so much write ups about how they can make you ill!! My partner is not taking any anti malaria things. I think Goa is low class Malaria (my doctor told me this when I was pregnant with my son) but I have just read of a case where this guy was in America fishing and he came back to Britain and felt unwell, the next thing he is in a coma and then the next thing he died..........it was Malaria so that is the very reason that i am going to take them.

I still have not decided on what to do about a travel cot..........I feel that if I take one then I am going to be overloaded with baby stuff, buggy, our suitcases, flight bags and a heavy travel cot would just be a nightmare as only one of us is going to have our hands free (the other will have toddler). I am tempted to just go and see what happens but we are there for 3 weeks and I feel might be too much of a risk.

I really need somewhere that basically when he is sleeping at night he is safe as he moves around a lot. He can escape out of a travel cot but when he is asleep that is him till morning, but it is just that I know I would feel secure knowing that he was secure when he was moving around.
Anyone got any ideas, all help appreciated.

Going soon and cant wait, even if I am stll having this dilemma ha ha.
You could buy a cot when you arrive in Goa - don't know how much it would cost but at least you'd have peace of mind. Big shop at Pato Bridge in Panjim that sells baby stuff.
GFF xxx
Thanks goldenflipflop, where is Panjim and do you think it would likely sell a cot? It would save us a lot of hassle! I have emailed the people who we are renting the cottage off and hopefully they will be able to send their property manager to have a look or have a little more info on this shop but your information has been most helpful.
Kind regards
Lorna
Hi,
Panjim is the main City in North Goa - about 1/2 hour drive from Anjuna.
I think the shop is called Babyworld
GFF xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.