Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
I can't help I'm afraid but I will look forward to hearing how you get on as you are doing one trip I will definitely get round to doing some time soon :)
I had a week in Jo'burg a couple of months ago and it was really enjoyable.

Apart from visiting several local attractions, we also drove up to Pilanesberg National park and Sun City for the day.

Pilanesberg was excellent and is adjacent to Sun City so very convenient whilst you are there. The entrance fee is incredibly cheap (I think it was 3 GBP per person) and it has some wonderful scenery plus the Big 5 if you're lucky (I was not....). It's large, but nothing like the size of Kruger (larger than Ireland), so you can easily do it in a day. Had no problem with any bites, but that may have the the time of year (winter, though still lovely and warm and sunny).

Sun City was interesting, the grounds are fabulous, though the hotels themselves are looking a little jaded, however there was some major refurbishment going on whilst we were there. Lost City hotel is very impressive, though they don't allow visitors to look round the interior.

Eating and drinking out is superb and very cheap. Whatever meal we had, be it a snack or a full blown meal, was beautifully cooked and presented and fantastic value for money. In particular the beef/steak is probably the best I've ever tasted, something to do with the natural low fat level.

All in all you should have a really great trip.
We stayed in Cape Town last Christmas and had a wonderful time , we also stayed in Stellenbosch the year before.

In Stellenbosch we stayed at a Protea hotel it was at the Tecno Park they had their own car and driver which would to take you to the restaurants in Stellenbosch. The hotel had a very good restaurant and the rooms were suites with coffee making facilities , fridge , microwave etc. These were only classed as 3* but they were excellent and easily would of given a 4*+

Christmas we stayed at the Southern Sun Cullinan Hotel again excellent location could not fault . Restaurants we used we like steak was the Butchers Block , Husars and Belzazar in V& E Cape Town Fish Market

We then flew to Port Elizabeth very disappointed with the hotel again we chose a Protea Hotel it was called the Marine Hotel supposedly 4* premier hotel. Well after the one in Stellencbosch i was expecting pure luxury - Not . The room we were allocated reminded me of an old £ 10.00 per nigh tB& B in Blackpool it was that basic. But as it was Christmas and we had had to prepay for it in October and Port Elizabeth was full I was so upset and disappointed ( Web site looks OK.) Anyway the first night we went to bed and was awaken with really loud music and children running and screaming up and down the corridor . There was a wedding being held above our room and we were on 6th floor. I promptly spoke quiet sternly with the manager and said this wasnt acceptable and low and behold we were moved to a presidential suite more of the standard I was expecting.

Eating out in Cape Town and P/E very cheap average meal with 2 bottles wine £ 40.00

We hired a car in both C/T and PE visited all tourist spots Bolder Beach , Cape of Good Hope Camps Bay Addo Elephant Park

Would go again tommorow.

Any questions PM me and I will try and answer
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.