Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
hi Elaine
Funnily enough OH was talking about a return just the other day. Will certainly have a look at your hotel.
We saw the Cable car being built the last time so that's something new we can do. The Buddha climb- didn't think it was too bad ....till the next day when I suffered :D
I think you went around the same time we did didn't you - Christmas 2004? There have been a few changes with the biggest one being a massive public park being built on a land reclamation project in front of the old barracks. We still haven't been to Cheung Chau, or to the zoo, so I think we may be back in another 5 years or so!

Elaine

PS I think you must be younger and fitter than us :(
we did have one day in January 2008. Although it was more cold than normal for that time of year I actually found it great to be able to walk everywhere without dripping of sweat. Not sure about younger or fitter :rofl
Elaine

Did you fly Cathay economy, if so what were the new seats like?

Sorry for going a bit off topic.

Judith
Hi Judith

The seats are quite strange. The outer frame doesn't move at all, but instead the inner shell moves, with the seat part sliding forward and the backrest moving forward and down to form an angle a bit like 10 to 3 on a clock, so that you end up with your body in the same position as you would on normal seats. The big advantage is that you don't get the seat in front of you suddenly tilting back in your face and as the frame is rigid, you don't get the person behind you moving it when they pull themselves up on it. The disadvantage is that if you have stuff in the pocket, or long legs, there's not a lot of room to move your knees when you've slid forward, but I suppose that's not much different from the old seats when the seat in front was reclined. Another advantage would be that the people in the back row don't have to sit upright for the whole flight!

Elaine
Thanks for the report Elaine,

Never managed to get there yet, but looking to use HK as a gateway/stopover on one of our trips.

You obviously enjoy HK, as do many others - perhaps we should give further thought and go for it!

Peter
Elaine

Thanks for the description.

Judith
We will be going to Hong Kong in March this year but only for three nights.Can anyone give me advice on what are the must do trips or things to do .We will be staying in Kowloon so we also would like to know the best places to go for food and drink.Is it worth booking anything i.e trips or travel tickets etc before we go.

Cheers :sun2
Hi PC

I'd say it's probably not worth booking any trips in advance for a 3-night stay. If you were just going for a day or two, then I'd suggest an organised city tour to make sure that you at least saw the highlights If you were going for a week or more, or if this wasn't your first visit, then I'd suggest the full day "Land Between" trip to the New Territories. But for a first trip of 3-4 days, I think you'll probably be best just finding your own way around and going wherever takes your fancy. The public transport in Hong Kong is fantastic and it's really easy to get around.

Must dos for me would be riding on the Star Ferry between Kowloon and the island, riding the trams on HK island, a trip up to the Peak, a ride across the island on the top deck of the number 6 and visits to as many of the markets as I could manage - ie Ladies', Bird, Flower, Temple Street and Stanley. I'd also throw in a visit to either Ocean Park or Ngong Ping and the big Buddha on Lantau, but both of these will take virtually a full day, so I'd do a bit of research first to decide which appeals most. Actually, as I said in my trip report, the Ngong Ping cable car, if you decide to do that, would be my one exception for buying tickets in advance, to avoid queuing!

There are loads of good restaurants in Kowloon. Our "discovery" of this latest trip was the Szechuan restaurant in the South Seas shopping mall on Mody Road - fabulous food and very reasonable prices - I think it was called something like Sze Chue Wan! If you fancy more of a "feature" dinner trip for one of your nights, you could try Cafe Deco on the Peak, the Jumbo Floating Restaurant at Aberdeen or (this would be my choice) a cruise to the village of Lei Yue Mun.

For further details of everything mentioned above - and much more - have a look at Hong Kong's official tourist website here

Elaine
A quick PS - I did try to upload some photos when I did my report, but the galleries didn't seem to be working. If anyone's interested, I've put some of them on Flickr - here

Elaine
I believe the Photo Galleries are working again if you would like to upload some photos.

luci :wave
Nice to read this Elaine, brought back memories of our HK trip in 2006. The cable car really is fab isn't it? It had only recently opened when we went. I'd love to go back at some point but there so many places we want to see that repeat trips are pretty low down on the list!!!
city.
Hi I'm hoping to go to Hong Kong in early October. My mum is doing a 3 week tour of China, ending with 4 nights in Hong Kong and i was hoping to fly out and surprise her! Have been looking at flights, the cheapest I seem to be able to get it is around £400, flying from Glasgow to London, then London to Hong Kong. Does anyone know of a cheaper way to do it - I thought maybe flying to another European country and then getting a flight to Hong Kong might be cheaper but don't really know where to start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks x :D
Best thing re flights is to try sites like Expedia or Travelsupermarket. And keep trying them as they vary from day to day. :)
Lovely , interesting report :tup I visited HK in 2002 and it sure was fascinating, hope to return one day
STRESSED-OUT wrote:
I thought maybe flying to another European country and then getting a flight to Hong Kong might be cheaper but don't really know where to start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks x

Hi Stressed-out, £400 sounds very reasonable and you probably won't get much cheaper than that. Try book on airfrance.co.uk I paid £394 for travelling in Feb 2010. The inflight service is good too. I travelled London-HKG with BA a few times before but found their long haul service generally not on par with that of their short haul business flights. Hope this helps
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.