Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Hi all,
We will be touching down in Palma during the hours of darkness on 1st March. It's about 13 years since we were last on the island and even longer since we last stayed in Cala Bona.

We do all our hols DIY these days and have halved the cost of a taxi by renting a car at the airport. I'm aware that it's quite a distance from Palma so was wondering if the roads have improved in the way of lighting since we were last there? Any ideas of distance would be appreciated?

Also are the Alicia's rooms centrally heated via radiators or is it warm air convection, if at all? Just one final question I understand that there is very little by way of entertainment in the hotel in March and i have promises my wife that I have seen reviews that tell us that ITV &BBC channels are available on the rooms's tv's so she won't miss out on her soaps. :roll: Anything to keep her happy.

Any replies will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
We have been to the Alica twice - in 2005 & 2006 - couldn't go this February as hotel was remaining closed for the winter season.

It has taken us about an hour on both occasions to travel by car from the airport. The road had improved last year from 2005. You also won't have too much traffic to contend with as it will be evening.

The heating is warm air/air conditioning - individually controlled. Very efficient and warms the room up fast.

I suspect that you will be one of the first to arrive there following the winter closure - we were the same last year and did find the room a little chilly at first - a hot water bottle soon aired the bed!!!

There will be some entertainment although the full programme may not be up and running.

With regard to the tv - I don't remember watching my soaps there (I did when in Port Soller in May) and don't remember there being many channels in English either - that may just be because we did not put the telly on much! You have a fabulous view from the majority of rooms right across the sea - much better than tv.

The Alicia is a great hotel - great food and good location - enjoy!

Pippa
Thank you Biff & Pippa,

Pippa, it's obviously a very nice hotel. The reviews are nearly always fair and the sea views look something to really look forward to.

I asked about the CH because we have found that in some hotels the blow- air heating is often luke-warm and we nearly always end up with chesty coughs after staying at them. We are not yet geriatrics but usually make sure that our hotels are heated by conventional rads rather than the blow-air system but from what you say this hotel's system sounds fine.

Thanks also for the information about the roads and the tv.

We are looking forward to Mallorca/Cala Bona. It's 16 years since we last stayed at the Cala Bona Hotel. We met an elderly couple there who had a room next door. They sat on their balcony and shared their tea and coffee with us each day. It was March and the weather was fine. Amazingly the following year we were stood in the queue at Manchester airport and they were stood behind us. They also sat on the plane immediately behind us. We met them several times on that holiday in Benidorm. Then amazingly the following year we were staying in Fuengirola, and blow me down did'nt we spot them walking in front of us. :lol: Again we renewed our friendship and enjoyed their company and had lunch with them. I don't expect to see them in Cala Bona this year. I should think they will be far too old for jetting off these days. :(

Thanks again for replying to me.

Tony.
That's amazing!! They may not be too elderly - my Mum is jetting of to Australia in August and she will be 83 whilst she is there - rather her than me - 26 hours on a plane!!

Hope you have a really lovely holiday. We returned from Majorca on Friday - our 5th visit - 3 times last year!!

Pippa
Hi

Hope someone out there can answer a couple of questions about the Alicia.

The booking options at this hotel are twin room 2 or twin room 3, there is no difference in price so am I missing something or will the twin 3 have more room (my booking is for 2 people)Or will it probably be 3 beds in same size room??? I hope i'm making sense :)

Can anyone tell me if they hold the entertainment inside or outside.

Finally, if I book through Portland it states Sea or Pool View, If I book through Thomson it states Sea View....its £60 cheaper with Portland but would really like a sea view.......but would a Thompson booking definately mean a sea view???

Many Thanks in advance

Marie
Think its 3 beds in same room.
It depends what time of year regarding entertainment in or out.
Think majority of rooms are sea view, is there a reduction for pool view? Got to agree seaview a MUST.
CBG
Hi

We are looking to go July
There is no reduction for pool view, just states Sea or Pool quoting one price only

Thanks
Pool view your balcony would get sun for most of the afternoon into evening....sea view it would be morning to early afternoon depending on what end of the hotel your room is. Rooms at the end nearest Hotel Atolon will get sun for longer than those at the opposite end.

My parents are going in a couple of months...have walked past it ourselves many times and have always been envious of the occupants as the view is fantastic and you can people watch to your hearts content.
Hi

Well its booked! - We hope for seaview but whatever i'm looking sooooooooo forward to it...

Thanks
Have booked to go 23rd April, if that damned volanco stops erupting.
Anyone stayed there recently, is it as good as it looks?
Haven't stayed there myself but it's lovely from the outside...have walked past it on many occasions. I love the fact that the rooms are sea view and you are right on the promende so can people watch to your hearts content. My parents are going there on Tuesday for 11 nights...can let you know what they thought when they get back if you want? :)
Thank you, would appreciate any feed back.
Have stayed at the Alicia, three or four times, yes, get a sea view room, they are the best, you get to see the sun come up, if you are up early enough.

The food is the best on the island, bar none, especially in the a'la carte restaurant, you won't be disappointed.

Juan, the bar manager is especially funny, if you get to talk to him, try and speak a little spanish to him, he won't laugh if you get it wrong, in fact none of them will, they will appreciate it.

Some of the evening entertainment is fantastic, Sonor are very good, they even have a very good Abba tribute band, Abba Again, if you like their music, these are the band to see. They do all the the hits from Abba Mania and more.

You don't have to walk very far to other hotels, for their entertainment, or eat out, and it's not very dear either, you could try the London Inn, they are just around the back of the Levante Park.

Garry
Jceep....I spoke with Mum on the phone last night tho' they are not back in UK till Saturday when I should hopefully have a bigger picture for you. I asked her about the hotel and Mum said it was very clean but very much 3 star not 4 star (I think Thomson have it as a 4T).

Mum said that there was a massive queue into the dining room and that it was full of old people "Older than me and your Dad" is how she said it.....both are OAP's and Dad is 70. She said the place was full of mobility scooters so Lower Hire Majorca are obviously keeping very busy :) It could be with it being still low season and it might be more families come Jul/Aug.

Her main gripe was with the food...little choice wise (steak, pork chop, lamb chop) and it's only just warm not hot which to be honest would concern me as lukewarm food is probably a breeding ground for all sorts of horrible bugs. I know they've stayed in hotels where kitchen staff have been out testing temperature of food but this isn't happening here.

As I say, this isn't the bigger picture, as soon as I've spoken to them properly upon return I'll report back. I feel a bit guilty as they were tossing up between the Alicia and the Levante Park and on balance the reviews were better for the Alicica but now I'm thinking I should have kept my mouth shut and let them go to the Levante Park and not mentioned the Alicia :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.