General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
If we're tallking of the Mercure which is next to the VW dealership in Cardiff then that is not a particularly old hotel i.e built 2005 so I imagine is meets all current Health and Safety standards. I've stayed in many hotels in the UK that don't have opening windows, and many that only have restricted opening.
sunbear - yes that's the one. I've stayed in many with restricted opening, but never in one where the windows don't open at all. As you say - it's a relatively new hotel, so obviously meets H & S requirements, but I just found it strange.
The Mercure Holland Hotel in Bristol is exactly the same! :que
I wonder why then Debbie - I find it very odd myself!
Sounds like the offices where I work Helen, and the buliding takes about 800 people.

They are six floors high but we dont have even one opening window.

I think if a place is built with air conditioning and enough fire exits and fire excapes it doesn't have to have opening windows to comply with modern H&S legislation.

Although our theory where I work is so that we can't jump when it all gets too much for us. :rofl
:rofl I said that to hubby last night Doe - but it's odd considering that there were only 3 floors there :que
A few years ago wee were unlucky enough to spend a long weekend at a Hotel in Blackpool used by various Tour Companies. The room had NO window or Aircon. As my husband has breathing difficulties we always have the windows open at home and it was a complete nightmare. As my OH was the Tour Driver we couldn't just leave and come home. I contacted Health and Safety and the Blackpool Tourist Board but was told that as it was a ground floor room there didn't need to be a window.
Windows are not considered a satisfactory fire exit and are very rarely used in non domestic buildings, the fire exits are clearly marked and take you in to a protected route, generally there should be at least 2 from all parts of the premises. A protected route is a stairwell or corridor which has self closing doors that all have intumescent strips and Georgian wired glass on any windows that are located in it or close by if on an external stairwell, these routes are all protected by minimum half hour resisting doors.

The final exit door from a fire route must be of a push bar type exit so that it will open even if a mass of persons are forced in to it and when clear of the property you should be able to walk away from the area, i.e. not taken in to a yard with no final exit, this is called your final place of safety.

A window can be used in domestic property under certain regulated conditions (won't bore you with details) and they are referred to as emergency egress windows.

Just a final small point it is current Building Regulations they all meet not H&S

Now I could bore you to death with all this (just ask if you want more :rofl ) but I have to go as I am studying for a promotion interview for my job in the Fire & Rescue service :D
:D Thanks Graham. I suppose it's just force of habit for me. We always have the bedroom window open at home, even in the depths of winter, so when I go into a hotel room, the first thing I do is open it. I don't think it helps as Im slightly claustrophobic as well, and hate the feeling of being hemmed in.
:D Your not a Health and Safety Officer are you Graham ?

Very impressive. :tup
When looking for UK hotels I have seen them using the fact that 'all windows open' as sales blurb.
Probably if the hotel is relatively new and has aircon that may be the reason the windows don't open. It is not energy efficient to have windows open with the aircon on.

luci :wave
Your not a Health and Safety Officer are you Graham

No, a Fire Officer :tup
Hi there.
I'd like to find out if there are any specific requirements for window glazing in hotels.
I was recently staying in one hotel in Bournemouth and by reckless behaviour of one guest a window was smashed and caused some damage to a few cars parked below next to the building.
I'm afraid that the wrong type of glazing was used as it's a commercial building, but I can't find any regulations clearly explaining what type of glazing is required.
I'll be very greatful for any information :wave:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADN_1998.pdf shows the Building Regs in respect of glazing; as I don't know the exact story (and you do!) I'll let you trail throughj it all ;)
I think I'll find that link very useful :tup
Thank U
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.