UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
That's a rarity. Considering that Norwich is now classed as one of the most up and coming cities to vist in the UK, there are very few, if any, requests for hotel recommendations and information.

In answer to your question you do have a number of options. If you'd ask the same question 3 or 4 years ago, the choices would have been limited but with the tourism boom, comes the chain hotels.

My personal recommendation would be the Premier Inn's on Duke Street or opposite the train station (Riverside/Prince of Wales Road area). Both are very nice and centrally located, and are within minutes walk of all the local attractions. Alternatively, there is a brand new Holiday Inn which has opened at the football ground, which is going to be a step up in class from a budget chain. I got a tour of this hotel just before it opened and it is very nice, although you will be paying more of course. This is very close to the Riverside area (bars, restaurants, cinema) but isn't really close to the centre of the city as such (about 15mins walk).

There is also a Travelodge up near the Bus Station, again very close to everything and very convenient for the new Chapelfield Shopping centre, although some people have commented on the traffic noise.

Away from nationwide chains you have the Maids Head Hotel in Tombland. THE location in Norwich right next door to the Cathedral, but unfortunately a very tired and old hotel, which is in much need of a refit. If you can get a good rate, it might be worth a look. I guess it would be a good traditional option compared to the identikit branded hotels, but it would be a risk. Google the website and take a look.

If you are looking outside the city there are further options, but it seems silly to not stay somewhere withing walking distance of all the attractions in the city centre. If I had to choose, I would go for the Premier Inn near the train station. This used to be the Hotel Nelson and has only recently been rebranded and upgraded throughout. The bar downstairs (there are 2) is particularly nice and very busy at weekends, certainly the best attached bar I have experienced at any Premier Inn in the country.

Best of luck with finding something suitable. You will love Norwich, it is a fantastic city to live in and an even better city to visit. Make sure you allow plenty of time to for a decent pub crawl (if that is an interest of course), there are plenty of options.
Thanks very much for all that information.

I shall have a look on the net and see what prices i can get. :)
Travel lodge had rooms in the City Centre for £9 a night as part of a special offer a few weeks ago :)
You can pick them up for £19 now and again if you check their website out.
Wow that sounds like my kind of prices!! :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.