EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Take a look at http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1083&highlight=cooperative
I would advise that you do not go ahead without taking independent legal advice and have all documents translated.
No doubt you may think you are getting a bargain because cooperative properties are cheaper than other properties but the reason they are cheaper is because the legal position regards ownership can be blurred.
Totally agree with Mibut. I bought into a coop and found out later that rules and regs were decided in my absense. You have an ongoing duty to the coop and if your Turkish is not great or you only want holiday home then you could be in trouble. Estate agents want to sell, it is there job, but sometimes they "forget" to give all the nitty gritty. Look around the web, talk to owners abroad if poss and keep looking at useful sites like this one. I live here and it's great but not without a struggle sometimes!!!! :gluck
OK.
Thanks for the replies.
I think we were right to be worried.
Geoff and Olya
hi
i would like to say to u dont go ahead with this if ur thinking of buying property then buy something that has ur name on tapu and nobody elses
because the tapu is the most important piece of paper to a foreigner in turkey and nobody can take it away from u as we all work or worked very hard for our money and dont want to give it away for 1 silly mistake as there are many horror stories true and false as i well know
by the way i live here and own a hotel with my husband who is also english and it can be very hard but turkey is also a beautiful country to live in so dont be put off
Hi,

I have just given a deposit on a villa Nr Altinkum, and I am now very worried on looking at the contract to find it is a co-operative. I do not know whether to proceed and part with the next instalment or to get out now. I am also unsure if I pull out whether I will get my money back I too have asked for help in making a decision, it is so very difficult to know when buying in another country as to the correct procedure and all the pitfalls.

Hope you get good advice, I only wish I knew more infor before I had parted with my hard earned cash.
Hi cash
don't be too worried yet.Who is acting for you in Turkey.Get them to give you all the details warts and all. Have you a lawyer that speaks english working for you? If you do not have one I'm sure an ex pat living in Altinkum could help you. DON'T GIVE UP UNTIL YOU HAVE ALL THE DETAILS. Good Luck
Hi all
Thanks again for the advice.

Really pleased we found this forum.

We are asking questions all over the place to see what the legal side of things are like.

For your info we have found this site that looks like it may be of benefit to ex pats in Turkey, or who are thinking of purchasing, I found it on another forum:
http://www.turkhukuksitesi.com/hukukforum/forumdisplay.php?s=b94db801e6bcb80e85dee05caaaa542e&forumid=6
The only problem is, it is for English speaking people, but the directions are in Turkish. However, I have managed to get a post on there by just using a bit of logic. it seems to have worked, and we are awaiting a reply.

Best of luck to you Cash, hope things work out for you.

Thanks
Geoff and Olya
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies, I am still looking into things at the moment but feel a little more confident after reading comments, decided to look for a lawyer in Turkey who can speak English to go over my contract before I part with any more money, it is such a lovely place I hope I am worrying unnecessarily.

Cheers
Hi

Things are a little better now.
I have spoken to a rather nice lady called Ayse (pronounced Aysher)
I found her through a web site http://www.acacia-int.com

She sent me this mail:
Dear Mr and Mrs Oates,

Thank you for your both enquiries and giving details.I personally know Onurkent.
I will give you a call tomorrow to discuss the issues.

With regards,
Ayse Ozcan, LLB MBA
Acacia International Legal Services
Tel: 07000 565710
Fax: 07000 565711
e-mail: a.ozcan@acacia-int.com
web: http://www.acacia-int.com

I have had a really long talk with her on the phone, and they will do the investigations for us. She is in London and her partner is in Turkey.
The fee is a little steep at £1500 but, we have agreed that she will do it in three steps, at £500 each. (Sorry I have agreed, need to talk to Olya when she gets home!!!) :oops: At any time there is a problem then that is it, we will not purchase this villa.

So, a little happier than I was yesterday.

Geoff and Olya
Hi. Can't believe all the problems! We have just bought a property down the road from yours (at Gumusluk) beautiful small complex, lovely pool area, good builder, and all the legal fees are inclusive in the price (English Estate Agent). I think you should look around the area, and probably save a lot of money.
Jensec
From your other post
"Hello. I'm a bit new to this, but I've just bought an apartment near Bodrum and the estate agents wantt me over there asap to sign up"
It looks like you have not bought a property yet, you have only said that you will and are awaiting to sign for it.
You say your legal fees are inclusive.
Does this mean just the notary fees or are you actually getting a lawyer to check over the contracts and translate everything and represent only you?
There is a lot of difference as to what "legal" can mean.
I would wait and see how your purchase actually goes before making comments on other peoples purchases.
We have now bought the property - problem-free! -The Estate Agents are also helping us with purchase of equipment/furniture etc. at discount prices. Can't fault them at all.
Hi Jensec
So do they have a web page????
There is a website which I think they've just opened: http://www.yalipoints.com. The estate agent is English and very helpful.

I believe the builder is in the process of purchasing another plot somewhere nearby. But sorry, I have no details. On the complex where we have purchased our apartment, the 3-bed villas were £58,000, inclusive of all fees. There will be a resident caretaker/gardener/maintenance person on site and the villa owners will pay £50 per month for his services. (Apartment owners will pay £25 per month). Lettings can also be arranged via an organisation called Sultan Villas.

HOWEVER I still urgently need to know how I can get out there cheaply before the end of the year to complete the legal process. Can anyone advise?
I doubt very much that you will be able to do it "cheaply"
Options are filght to Istanbul or Antalya then internal flight or overland.
can anyone help us we would like to know what the price of 5 yr residency visas are now in turkey
An english guy I know who lives here in Kusadasi got his 5 yr residency in April and paid 1 milyar 800 million tl for it.

Ally
Works out at about 800 pounds for the 5 years. Thats for the Brits - the Germans only pay 60 euros!
could anyone tell me what a notary deeed is and is it the same as a tapu
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.