General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
I thought about trying to see how easy it is but will probably end up breaking the zip altogether knowing my luck. However, our hold luggage has no zips- just our cabin bags. Worth taking into consideration for when folks are buying new cases.
I tried it years ago,(I think it was mentioned on here) and it took just a few seconds to get into my case.
We do it all the time at work when we have to x ray stuff and people put prohibited goods inside and padlock the case....

Many other tricks too, but won't share here!
I only shared this one Frankie as it's reared its head again on FB & I thought best that members are aware so that if they are worried they can buy bags with metal zips :tup
Now all the would be thieves will know how to do this as instructions are on all internet forums and Facebook ! :rofl :rofl
I dont know where they would attempt this but it pays to have an old battered case. :tup
Well......I did toy with whether or not to post this, but decided that it's better people know about plastic zips seeing as it's on FB and YouTube, rather than being left in the dark :think

I'll move this to General Chat where only our members can view for the time being.

Do members think information such as this should be made aware to the general public or do we keep it off the forums??
They have to rely on being able to slide the fastened parts of the zipper back around the the case though once it's been opened - so, if you have a way of securing/tethering the padlocked part to another area of the suitcase so it cannot be manouvered/resealed, the evidence will become apparent immediately if it has been tampered with or, will put the thief off messing with it in the first place.
scary thank god we have hard bodied cases with combination unless someone can get into them as well it wouldn't surprise me at all x
cyprus100 wrote:
They have to rely on being able to slide the fastened parts of the zipper back around the the case though once it's been opened - so, if you have a way of securing/tethering the padlocked part to another area of the suitcase so it cannot be manouvered/resealed, the evidence will become apparent immediately if it has been tampered with or, will put the thief off messing with it in the first place.

My big ABS case from M&S that I use when going to Cuba if I have a lot to take out with me, has a combination locking mechanism which you latch the zip pull tabs into so they can't be moved to re-zip it but in addition to that I also padlock the zip pulls together and then bind brown tape right round the circumference of the case covering the zip. Looks messy and sometimes the only way to clean the adhesive from the tape off the case is with white spirit, so not a classy look but even Cuban baggage handlers at Havana have never bothered trying to open it. Unlike friends, I've never had anything stolen from my case on either the way in or the way out - thieves must either decide that it will too much effort to try or decide that such a scruffy case is not going to contain anything worth nicking! :D

SM
  • Edited by SMa 2014-04-30 16:22:58
I wonder where you can get those security seals (provided by Thompsons on cruises) that will fail when the case is opened to show it s been tampered with ?
I'm another one why relies on a scruffy looking case and so far haven't had any problems. I only hope I haven't put the kibosh on my next flight now. :roll:
I was told all cases are X rayed behind the scenes at airports so hopefully when they see I only have clothes and nothing of value they will move on to another case!. :rofl :rofl
But in some parts of the world it is the shoes and clothes that are the valuables! I know one man (he told me about the parcel tape idea) arrived in hotel on his first trip to Cuba, opened his case to find that his trainers had been stolen from it and a very old, decrepit pair in there instead. He presumed that one of the baggage handlers had arrived at work wearing a very old cheap pair that were falling to bits and then went home wearing a brand new pair of Nikes! Another friend had a new pair of trainers she was taking out for one of the dance stolen from her case in similar circumstances.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.