Help And Assistance

Need help and advice on using this forum? Post your queries in here.
I've just clicked on a lower post and now when I refreshed that post had lost the sun,
I'm sure before you only had to visit the page once and then the next time you visited it only showed updated threads since your last visit?
Or am I wrong and it's always been like this?
yes this is different from the old system, so that if you have a crash you don't loose the unread post markers [a problem we had on the old system]

SO once you have read All that interest you ..scroll to the top of the index page [just above last post] and click "Mark all post read" this will clear all remaining unread markers ready for your next visit

wizard
just to clarify...

This is always how it was supposed to work. Prviously the information on read posts was stored on a cookie on a users pc. When the user logged out the information was sometimes lost...Or if you suffered a crash the information would be lost.

Under the new system, we store the information on our server. That way when you login all the information is still available.

Clicking "mark forums read" cleans our system and resets you to 0 new posts.....

When you log back in you only see new posts that have appeared since you clicked the "mark forums read" link.

Regards

Van
I preferred it the old way - sorry Mods :oops: On this new system I'm always forgetting to "mark forums read", so when I come back later on it's a hassle having to trawl through stuff I've already seen.
And also, You can't use your browser's "Back" button after reading a post, you have to remember to click the link for the forum.

[/rant][/sulk] :|
I'm in two minds about this. I certainly do forget to click "marks forums read" fairly often (something to do with my age, no doubt!) but for me this new system has one major advantage. Whenever an email comes in to alert me to a new post on a particular thread, my husband can't resist clicking on the link. He looks at that one post and then, contrary to my continued pleading/nagging :bhead , closes HT. This used to drive me mad as the next time I logged in, the suns were only flashing on forums and posts which had been added to since he had been online. Everything prior to that had been automatically treated as "read" and effectively missed by me! :rage
So as long as he doesn't get to hear about the "mark forums read" thingy, harmony should be restored in our house. :love
cyberspacekadette wrote:
I preferred it the old way - sorry Mods :oops: On this new system I'm always forgetting to "mark forums read", so when I come back later on it's a hassle having to trawl through stuff I've already seen.
And also, You can't use your browser's "Back" button after reading a post, you have to remember to click the link for the forum.

[/rant][/sulk] :|

I can use the Back button after reading a post. The only time I get a dead page is if I have just posted a message.

A good tip is to get used to clicking on the orange "page" immediately left of the topic title. This will take you directly to the first unread post in that topic. :wink:

luci :wave
Or if you forget to do that and enter the topic by just clicking the link look for the following:

[attachment=0]unread.jpg[/attachment]

click "First unread post" to take you straight to the first unread post in the topic.

Handy if you are on page one of a twenty page topic and want to get straight to what you haven't yet read.

Van :wave
I can use the Back button after reading a post. The only time I get a dead page is if I have just posted a message.

Nope, doesn't work for me - I get a dead page if I click "Back" after just reading a post.
I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but as a long-term member, old habits die hard :roll:
Me too cyber...........

And I might be being a bit thick here :lol: .......but where is the mark all forums read button?? Cos all I seem to be able to do at the moment is go into each and every subject, even the countries i'm not interested in to clear all these suns!

Regards
Marie
Mark Forum Read is on the first page (top right) of every forum. Mark ALL forums read is on the main index page of the site in the same place.

HTH

Kath HT Admin
See Kath I told you I was being thick :lol:
Many thanks
Marie
Nah Marie - a learning curve for all of us (including Mods/Admin) ;)
Kath x :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.