General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
We have 2 springer spaniels and have always left them for at least 2 weeks every year,this year they are being left for 1 week twice,2 weeks once and a couple of weekends.I really believe that as long as you look after them well the rest of the year it doesn't hurt them to go into kennels or cattery.Why not get another cat as company and then you won't feel guilty at all.One of our dogs died just before we were due to go on a week's holiday and we had to leave Benny in kennels straight after Oscar died he coped with it but we soon got another puppy on our return.For peace of mind why not book you cat in for a weekend ,just so that you know he/she is okay and remembers the people.We hate leaving our boys but appreciate that we have to have a holiday.Hope this makes you feel better,T.
We are lucky in having great neighbours who look after the cat. Mind you it's become normal that she sulks a bit when we get home ....
We are lucky that my parents look after our cat. I think I would feel bad about leaving him at a shelter but if that was the only option then I would do it, I certainly wouldn't not go on holiday ;)

Don't worry, your cat will be fine, we worry far more about them than they worry about anything. Although Alsacienne says they do sometimes sulk a bit when you come back though....
Our two dogs stay at home and are looked after by our next-door neighbours. We look after their dog (soon to be joined by a new puppy!) when they go away and all the dogs treat both houses as if they are extensions of their territory. We used to leave our other dog at the local kennels and they were very good - he went there many times - but these two are both rescue dogs and prefer the security of their own home.
I know how you all feel, luckily our "little baby" is well looked after at home by my son and I'm sure both of us would be feeling a bit on edge if she had to go to a cattery. I don't think cats miss us as much as dogs (ours just ignores us when we come home) and as long as they are safe, secure and well fed that's fine.
We phone home to see if everything is okay but have to admit the real reason is to check on our tabby....Caz
My mam used to look after our dog but now after not having a pet for a lot of years we have the priviledge of looking after 2 gorgeous dogs when their owners are on holiday.
One dog we have minded for 8 years and the other for 3.
They live in the same village as my daughter so its like another holiday for us especially as one lives in a £1.5 million pound house :tup
My daughter has just adopted 2 cats so that will another 2 weeks looking after them.
We have looked after a cat/house for 7 weeks and another friends 2 dogs for a couple of weeks.
We love doing this and the animals are happy as they are in their own house. ;)
i have an african grey parrot and i get 2 people to come in and stay with him for a while, morning and evening, let him out the cage etc i always get him a few new toys before we go away as well so hes got something new to destroy, a couple of years ago i took him to my mums for her to look after him and my step dad put him too close to the window and he chewed her blinds, she wont have him there now :whoops
Our friends who live over the road from us looked after our cat last time we went away, unfortunately, they were confronted with his little 'presents' everyday !! 6 mice and 2 birds in all, in varying degrees of demise, think they may decline next time we go away !! :rofl
we have a dog and 2 rabbits. the rabbits stay at home and are looked after by our daughter(their hers anyway). the dog goes to a friends house which she loves cos she gets to walk/run in new parks. shes very excited for hours when we get home so she obviously misses us(though she is treated like a baby at home). i wouldn't leave her with my daughter cos she can sleep for england and the poor dog wouldn't get walked till lunch time.
regards tracey
We only have fish so we just put a feeding block in the tank so that's easy.

When my parents go away we stay in their house to watch their dog, even if my brother is there as he works funny shifts.

We have brought the dog to ours but we back on to a field and if he hears a fox or dear then that starts him off.

He was put in the kennel once and loved it the kennel was fantastic. He might need to go there again next year as we are considering a family holiday.

Though if we go anywhere in the UK we make sure it is pet friendly as he needs his holidays too :rofl
Our dog always goes to my parents as my Dad loves any excuse to have a dog in the house and get out for walks.....the dog dotes on his Grandad and revels in being spoilt rotten!

Our cat has always gone into a local cattery (my Mum HATES cats) however last year we returned home to find him very ill, they omitted to tell us for 24 hours that he'd actually had full blown cat flu during his stay.....and even then it was a slip-up from the cattery manager! Lets just say I was NOT best pleased!!!!! As he was so ill, vet thinks he is more than likely now a carrier and in times of stress will probably get flare-ups so we've had to have a major re-think on what we do.....certainly I would NEVER EVER allow him to return to the cattery in question!

I've asked my lovely neighbour if she would come in every other day if he stayed at home and I will pay her what I would pay the cattery (she said she won't take payment but she won't have any choice on that score), this way I know he won't be stressed as he's at home and she can keep a close eye on him - he's a house cat anyway so will just love being able to lounge around as usual.

The fish get a good clean and a fish block shoved in the tank and again my lovely neighbour will sprinkle food in if they look particularly ravenous :)
Remember that a lot of the animals we have in our homes are from rescue shelters and the like and a couple of weeks a year is nothing to them considering the lovely home you have given them for the rest of the year. They are lucky that they have found great homes with owners who worry about them, and that they are not still stuck in shelters waiting for their forever homes. So don't beat yourself up about your holiday, we all need holidays and you have found the best solution for your situation and your cat.

I am a big advocate of getting your animals from rescue centres and we have a beautiful border collie and a lovely fluffy tom, both from local centres, that we would not be without. Lucky at the moment that Mum and Dad minds them when we go away, they live in the next road. If we go on a family holiday, the neighbour minds them instead. Even with the extra inconvenience of sorting the animal minders, it would never stop me going away

Steph
I don't think you're daft at all - I think your animals become part of your family, and you therefore want them to be happy and safe. I have Sasha the Cat and if I am away the same time as my son then unfortunately she doe have to stay in the Cattery, who I have known for years (my previous cat went there too), and she is an ex vet nurse and a lovely lady. The other times, my son is there and vice versa when he is away so we take care btween us.

It's hard not to worry I know but at least your 'baby' will be safe until you return and might sult a bit, but they get over it ;)
Sometimes putting a cat into a cattery can be helpful. We have a very nervous tabby who we have had for almost a year - she was from a rescue centre and most likely ill treated as she doesn't trust anyone. She is not yet 2 years old so has had a pretty rough start in life. She first went into the cattery in May of last year - just 2 months after we had her and we wondered just how she would get on being so nervous. When we picked her up she seemed fine and didn't ignore us as some cats do. I think the fact that there were different people about and that she couldn't run away from them was a good thing - she had to put up with it! She has since been in there twice more and comes home absolutely fine - itching to get outside of course but then that's natural. Being in the cattery for a week or two seems to maker her more appreciative of her home. I think that they only give her attention when she wants it and leave her alone when she's in a mood!

I don't think she will ever be as relaxed in the cattery as our old girl was but then she was a very laid back cat and had two routines - one for the cattery and one for home! At least we know she is safe and secure. I do think about her when we are away though and am glad to have her back!

Pippa
I am actually looking after my parents springer spaniel at the moment. We used to move into theirs as the dog is a hunting dog so has a shed/run outside. In December though dad's eldest springer died so now he only has the one, so we have brought him down to stay at ours this time. He's loving it, and being spoilt rotten and is even allowed in the living room. He has taken a shine to my rug :) He's even been in the shower :rofl.
Emma, I dont think you are being silly, not in the slightest.
We have a gorgeous yellow lab. We got her last July so she is just 9 months old now.
We are going to Goa on 19 March for 2 weeks and I am out of my mind with worry about her :cry

Deep down I know I am being silly. She will be staying in her own house and my partners sister is coming to stay in our house the 2 weeks to look after her. Gemma (my dog) has met her lots of times before and she is coming to the house twice at week at the moment for lunch and dinner so Gemma can get used to her in her own environment, but I am still worried. Dont know why I am worried, but she is my baby and I dont want to leave ner :(

I know she will be well looked after but I will phone lots when I am away and worry about her until I come home. I cant get looking forward to my holiday too much because I am so upset at leaving my dog.
Hi.
These posts reminds me of my dog Susie sadly died last year
I always had to find a dog sitter for her as she was nervous if her routine was different, she still was unwell for the 1st few days after we had gone on holiday :(
If I ever got another pet I would have to use kennels or cattery because all my dog sitters have moved on with their own lives .
I agree with others posts pets are definetely part of the family and we do miss her, eventhough I am sure she would have been diagnoised with ADHD if she was human , :really
M
I too know how you feel..I hate leaving the animals..I miss them like mad. Daughter looks after the dog while we are away and the cats are left with laddo as they need less looking after. Even he can manage to put them food and drink down every day! They have a catflap to let themselves in and out and often go and visit him for a cuddle so they will remind him they are still there.

The dog is old, she is 21 this year and every day we worry it will be her last. Even if we are out for the day diving, I am constantly texting laddo to make sure he looks after the dog and lets her out as well as making sure she has food and water.

When we are on holiday, when we text the kids, the first question we usually ask is how the animals are! :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.