Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
i went to the csr 3 years ago and i give the porters a tip at the end of the hoilday of £ 20 egyptien pound which is£2 english pound
If you were to tip daily what is the suggested amount? Is it best to tip in £ Egyptian of $? I take it tipping in $ is easier at first upon arrival?
Entirely up to yourself. We tipped £1 or £2 per day for the person cleaning our room "every" day. If we never had any change, we didn't trip, not a problem. They are more than grateful for anything.

Our pool bar man was extremely helpful - and he served during the day and night - excellent service - if we had change on us - we would give a tip from £1, £2 to £5 (between four of us) so it is pennies to us. Because we did so (and I'm sure we'll get called for this), we never had to queue for a drink - it was placed on the counter ready or by the pool if you were swimming. So we are happy to tip "every" day. Tipped in egyptian currency, as pound coins are hard to change up.

Dawntra
  • Edited by Dawntra 2008-06-28 21:10:20
Thanks for that. i will try and get some small notes for arrival in Egypt.
Does anyone know if there is a way of finding out the exchange rate IN Egypt at the moment?
Govan,

Sorry, no, but the two times I have been to Egypt, the hotels do have their own foreign exchange desk/room and I found I got a very good rate there, I think most hotels do have their own ATM machines but don't know if they are any good. Hope you find the answer. I will keep an eye on this site also.

Dawntra
I have used the cash machines in both Sharm and Hurghada. I found that they were not as good an exchange as the bureaus as you pay a cash advance fee (I think it was around £2). But ut was still a better exchange than the UK. If you do use your card abroad remember to let your bank know you are going. My friend went to Egypt last month and the machine wouldnt give her any money (Halifax card) - when she phoned her bank - an expensive call from Egypt on her mobile - she was told that it is usual for this to happen as they were trying to combat fraud!!!!
Thanks for the tips. I found the Bank of Egypt on line so that at least gives a guide of the rate in Egypt. Currently £1=£10.5 EGP
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.