Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi

Following the last link I see that the hurricane season officially ends on the 30th of November. Does anyone know when it officially starts again, or is it a bit of a moveable feast? We've booked to go to Mexico end of March/beginning of April, thinking this was out of hurricane season, yet a posting elsewhere said it started again in April. All very confusing :!:

Pam
Hurricane season starts officially on 1st June so you shouldn't have a problem. :tup
Thanks very much, I was beginning to worry that I had got my research seriously wrong :thanks
Any info would be great....thinking of going end July - Aug next year.
Hurricane season is (approx) June to September; that said, we were there last August and had no problems, but there had been a hurricane a couple of weeks before we went, and another hit just after we left. The locals were saying that they usually get hit about every 10 years or so, so if they're right you should be OK.
Is there likely to be any hurricanes on the horizon end if Aug beginning of Sept? Im in CANCUN for 2 wks then. Also is it likely to be raining much?
Try http://www.Cancunweathertoday.com you can get a 10 day forecast. No one tries to reliably predict any storms this far out from your vacation.
How do you know when it's best to travel. Aside from weather reports, how can you tell?
I've received an email today from cancunweathertoday saying that a a tropical storm has arrived off Cape Verde, heading towards the Caribbean, but with every chance it shouldn't develop into anythng more. I hope it all blows over by the time we go to Cancun on the 27th Aug. Watch this space! :?
If your leaving for the Caribbean this weekend keep an eye on this storm its set to turn hurrican by firday http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/204525.shtml?5day#contents
Hi TravelMandy

Luckily we're not flyout until Mon 27th Aug, so lets hope by then its has disappeared and not hit Cancun at all!

Julie
Tropical Storm Dean was this morning upgraded to a Category 1 Hurricane. It was 485 miles east of Barbados. Hopefully it will disappear before we fly out on the 27th Aug! Fingers crosssed. :?
Hi Jules. OUr last 2 days in Mexico were cloudy and we had a few heavy downpours but weren't aware that any hurricanes were on the way. Hope it's fab weather for you. Enjoy!
Hiya Shirley. Hurricane Dean has been upgraded to a Category 2/3 hurricane. Its not far away now from the south of the Dom Rep. I just hope it does blow itself away or changes direction back over the Atlantic then disappears. Im getting worried coz apparently its going to be bad towards the Caribbean during next week!
It passed over St.Lucia today (Fri) but damage was minimal. Heading for Jamaica, due to hit early Sunday a.m. UK time. On current tracking heading towards Cancun late Monday/into Tuesday.
Im just hoping that by the 27th, Dean will have gone altogether. How long do huricanes normally hang around for?
The Yucatan Peninsula is forecast to get hit on Tuesday am, so should move through there in a few hours. It's the damage and after effects that can't be predicted at this stage. The only consolation is that the weather after these big storms is usually glorious.
Hi emdia.

I really hope we dont have to be relocated, but if that happens, hay-ho, so be it!

I'm all hyped up for Cancun, maybe if Dean starts slowing down once its hit mainland Cancun, we could be ok for our holiday. Its people booked to go out on Monday that I really feel for, as they are going to miss out on their dream holiday. I just hope there won't be too much damage. Our hotel, the Caribbean Princess over looks the lagoon, so who knows what could end up in our swimming pool - maybe a "croci-gator" :shock: ! It doesn't bear thinking out, does it?
Update.

The FCO have advised against all travel to Jamaica until further notice.

'Jamaica alert as Dean threatens'...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6953530.stm
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.