Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
You don't need to travel far from Skiathos! Just nip over to Skopelos. Skopelos town is gorgeous too and also has a maze of narrow cobbled streets which will keep you occupied!
Rethymnon on Crete is also excellent and also has a brilliant old town.

John
Thankyou I will look those up
Dear Sidami,

Try Molyvos on the Island of Lesbos. We have been to Skiathos 3 times over the past 15 years, the last time 2 years ago. The Island has changed big time over that period, the beaches however are the best we have found in Greece. The bus service also allows you to go anywhere quickly and cheaply because the Island is so small.
Lesbos is different and is a compromise. Molyvos does not have a great beach. However 2-3 Km away are Petra and Anaxos...a short taxi ride away. Molyvos is centred around the castle at the top of the hill. Plenty of cobbled streets and shops to explore. It is not for the faint-hearted as there are plenty of steps to climb. But the taverna's perched on the hillside looking over the small fishing harbour are spectacular. You have guessed by now that we love Lesbos. The other great thing about this Island is that we found it to be fantastic value for money, roughly 30-40% cheaper than Skiathos. That is another thing that we found that had changed on Skiathos, the shop keepers and Taverna owners and even thebeach side bar owners, have turned into hard nosed buisiness people...out to take as much off you as possible over your 2 week break.
Try Lesbos, it is a big Island to explore and a breath of fresh air
We have been to Skiathos several times and have to agree that it is now too commersialised for us. Lesvos is a good choice as it dosent rely on tourism for its survival. Many of the islands have retained their Greek character and the mainland should not be overlooked. The Pelion and the Pelopenesse have numerous very attractive towns and villages. Patmos is one of our favourite islands along with Naxos. Naplion is a mainland must with real Greek atmosphere.
Skopelos is lovely to stay. Having stayed in Skiathos twice and did day trips to Skopelos decided to go. Stayed in town about quarter of an hour walk to the harbour front. Actuallly preferred Skopelos evenings to Skiathos. Lots more locals about. Skiathos has the beaches though. The studios we stayed in are the Evlalia, had a nice pool. if you go on I think Skopelos web you will find details of them. go to where to stay, then main village
We have stayed on Rhodes and visited Rhodes Old Town which has got quaint cobbled streets.

Les
Paxos or Lesvos would be good for you.

Don't think you'd find Skala on Patmos quaint enough, it's a working town and interesting rather than attractive, Hora is stunning, but accommodation is limited (not trying to put you off, honest - we loved it!)

Chania and Rethymnon on Crete would also fit the bill!
I will investigate these places thankyou for taking the time to tell me
Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.