General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi Circo :wave & welcome to the forums. From what you say, Malta would tick most boxes, but the beach bit could be a problem, as most of the beaches are to the north, away from the livelier resorts like Sliema.
Rhodes again ticks most boxes, especially Rhodes Town, but I'm not sure of the diving there, although it would fit perfectly with everything else you say you want.
Anybody else got any ideas? :think
Well my family are all divers and The obvious choice is Egypt but that wouldnt tick your box for the traditional fishing village type of destination and not sure about the sailing either .

Greek islands spring to mind and My family have happily dived in corfu and Ive heard Zante is pretty good too . We have been to Turkey for our last few summer holidays . The Bodrum peninsular is pretty good for diving .Maybe have a look at bitez and the dalaman region too i.e Olu Deniz , icmeler . I also believe Kas/Kalkan have a good selection of dive schools but that may be too quiet for you . Never sailed in Turkey so not sure about that.

I have also been looking at malta and another option that we are looking at for next year is cuba . Prices are very good for a good A/I = Equal to the same price as you would pay for the equivilent in Europe with http://www.Directholidays.co.uk. Looks good and many hotels have dive schools on site
Kalkan in Turkey would tick the boxes for "picturesque traditional fishing village kind of thing with quayside bars and restaurants, beach bars and cobbled streets". A colleauge has sailed round this area and enjoyed it very much. Although Kalkan is a lovely little village, there is plenty going on without being too in your face.
There are several dive boats in Mandraki harbour, Rhodes town. The only designated dive site is in Kalithea. If you want to do more than 1 or 2 days diving it could be boring I suppose but great just for 1 day.Agree with Doonhammer, Rhodes would seem to fit the bill perfectly.
Bitez on the Bodrum Peninsular may suit you. It is a small resort with some nice hotels and lots of lovely restaurants. The beach is good and they also have a sailing/windsurfing centre there and I'm sure there is a diving centre too. If not there is definitely one in nearby Gumbet. It is also just 15 minutes away fromBodrum where you can have a wander round, do some sightseing or shoping and have something to eat in one of the lovley harbourside restaurants.

If you want more info just ask, or come over to the Turkey forum.

Kedi
What about Thailand - I know its a bit further for a week, but it probably ticks all the boxes?
Try looking at Warner resorts or Sunsail holidays, they sound right up your street!
Thanks for the tips everyone, Kalkan looks like just the place just the beach missing. I also had a look at Giardini Naxos on Sicily, anyone one been there? Please keep the suggestions comming it's better than Trip Advisor!
:think

Your wish list sounds just what I would be looking for and recently I have seen Alghero in Sardinia on the net, this might be just what you are looking for :tup

Graham
I just received a promo email from barcelo hotels (we have stayed in one in Tenerife) saw this (Pueblo Park, Mallorca) and thought of you...

it arranges diving trips....I've not checked the prices or reviews though (although the promo email suggested 15% off offers)

http://www.barcelo.com/BarceloHotels/en-GB/Hotels/Spain/Majorca/PuebloPark/Interests.htm

and Mallorca should be OK to fly to?
Guy's thanks for all or the suggestions. I've now booked to go to Kalkan, looks and sounds like just what we're after. Just one point, I found a hotel to book and a particular operator wanted £492 per person per week accomodation only. Booking.com have done the same deal exaclty for 445euos for two of us! over half the price. I'll post again when I get back if anyone's interested.
Cheers
Hope you enjoy Kalkan circo - it is a wonderful place. Which hotel are you booked for?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.