Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi Chris, it sounds lovely and relaxing! Glad you had a good week :tup
Welcome back Doe :wave:

I am glad you had a nice time and the hotel lived up to your expectations, it did look lovely on the website.
I know you were a wee bit apprehensive about the area as there appeared to be nothing around it so it is good that this wasn't a problem.

I remember having a bottle of Omar Khayyam and found it rather memorable.....for all the wrong reasons it was terrible. Maintaining quality appears to be an issue with Egyptian wines, I have had Obelisk which has been very nice then another bottle, possibly a different vintage has been poor and nothing special.

A wine that has been nice on the 2 occasions we have had it was Chateau des Reeves wine, however it was purchased in our hotel in Luxor and was not cheap (nothing was in the hotel), I don't know if you can buy it in the Liquor stores such as Drinkies :que
Did you have the option to upgrade to AI while at the hotel?
Hi Chris .. Great review there and Marsa Alam defintely on my hit list now . It wouldnt worry us at all not having anything to do outside of the hotel but a pleasant walk is always nice to have.

So cost wise do you think it would of paid to upgrade to the A/I or were you quids in by not ?
Hi to you both :wave:

The option to upgrade to AI was 25 Euros per person per day and so would have been 350 euros for the week.

I'm almost embarrassed to tell you what our hotel bill was :oops:

Bearing in mind that this wouldn't suit everybody, we only had lunch on the last day and paid cash of about 250 LE we did this as Thomson no longer sell meals on the plane just cheese toasties & the like.

We had late breakfasts at 9am and ate at 8pm ish. Our bill on check out for drinks/mini bar items was 81.96 Euros :oops: spent another 50 euros on crisps & snacks from the hotel shop and tipping in small denomination LE as we went along.

We realised there was no point in us upgrading to AI as at the Hilton Sharks Bay last year we only ate lunch the first two days.

I guess it's understandable that they can't crack the quality wine issue as generally speaking they are a nation of non drinkers so they are only doing it for tourists. Fortunately my DH has always been partial to the bottled Sakara and I have water or minerals if the wine is too dreadful.

I had a couple of cocktails non alcoholic ones were ok & about 25 LE the alcoholic ones 65LE but the roughness of the base spirit shone through the later :(

There is little to do in the area so we personally wouldn't go for a fortnight, but for a week it was excellent. In fairness this hotel has been no 1 on the opposition for years so I hoped it would be of a high standard. There are now 70 plus hotels in Marsa Alam although I'm not sure where ? They must be spread over a long stretch of coast line.
Our bill on check out for drinks/mini bar items was 81.96 Euros

:rofl I take it you werent rolling back to your room legless and falling into walls every evening then Chris . Like me happy to nurse a bottle of sparkling water or the odd cocktail of an evening . :D

Crikey 70 odd hotels with only a handful of flights going in each week. it's a shame we can only fly in on a wed because that really messes us up.
:rofl it was a bit embarrassing as after a few days the staff seemed to be trying to give us our drinks for free :yikes we would order a large bottle of water, a Sakara and a wine and only get charged for the water :yikes we would mention it the next night and they would say they would put it on the bill and then they would forget, not sure if it is because we are good tippers or what.

Talking about the airport it was fantastic i think it is either new or refurbished. Arrivals is a bit cramped as you have to buy a visa and sort of queue up for immigration as well and the queues get mixed up, but you still get through in about 20 mins. :tup So much better than Sharm and Hurghada. On departure it is even better, more seats than people, clean toilets with loo roll, a costa coffee and Pizza Hut lol and a couple of duty free shops all priced in the obligatory dollars.

The hotel was only 15 mins from the airport. No baggage people allowed in to hassle you, it was amazing.
we would mention it the next night and they would say they would put it on the bill and then they would forget, not sure if it is because we are good tippers or what

:rofl I bet it was
:rofl I did think that when we settled the bill the front desk would think good god these people have existed on water for a week :rofl all very strange.
Hi Doe have you added a review of the hotel to the reviews section yet? if not perhaps you could add a new review for us :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.