Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Id cards
6 Posts
They would need to check with the airline they are travelling with to see if they will accept them instead of a passport.

luci :wave
Hi,I have done more research on these cards. As yet they are only available in the North West and can be used for travel anywhere in the EU or Switzerland.You could enter Spain or its islands with no problem, however Thomson who we are flying with say they will not accept them as a form of ID.So my question is what is the point the government saying you can use them as an EU passport if the airlines wont accept them?There surely must be some people who have already purchased these who are going to be in for a nasty shock when they get to the Airport this year!
I asked the IPS and they said "as yet they are not being accepted by most airlines and are not to be used instead of a passport". A friend has one and he said it was a good job he had his passport when he went to Italy at the new year because the airline (I think it was BA) said that the ID card are not to replace the passport, he was told you still need a passport to fly to another country. I think at the moment it is only to be used to prove who you are, like you might use a photo driving license if for example you are opening a new bank account or something like that.

Hope this helps
Big Al
The government might want to update it's own onformation, the home Office official ID card website (http://idsmart.direct.gov.uk/index.html )says it can be used in the EU & Switzerland, perhaps the rulers of our country should meet and actually tell the airlines, Eurostar and the ferry companies!!

As you need a valid passport (& live or work in the North West of England) in order to apply for one, I would imagine that carrying one proves you have a passport, except of course if the passport runs out before the card.

Seems a pointless idea, designed to fleece us of more money. When a passport costs near as dammit £80 surely the ID card, at no extra cost, could be given at the same time. :que
The problem is that you only need to have HAD a passport that was valid on or after 1st January 2009 so you can bet your life there will be be people who have purchased these cards as a cheaper replacement to a passport in total innocence.I cant see anywhere on the IPS or Directgov website that says you still have to take a valid passport with you as well when you fly with most airlines.Thankfully I enquired before my daughter went ahead with getting one,I very much doubt everyone will.
Helen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.