Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Hi rebel .... obviously we do not know the full circumstances of this particular case and even if we did, it might be inappropriate to comment on them.

But generally speaking, a comprehensive travel insurance policy does not always guarantee cover for medical expenses or repatriation costs.

If for example excess alcohol was deemed to have played a significant part in any injury or accident, the insurer could decline any claim on the grounds that the insured did not take adequate care and safety measures and as a result, directly brought about the accident through carelessness and intoxication. This doesn't just apply to major accidents such as falling from a balcony, but even relatively minor incidents such as twisting an ankle or falling over in the street and banging your head after a few pints.

With any insurance claim, there may be an onus on the insured to prove that adequate personal care and safety measures had been taken. Medical records or police reports supplied to the insurer may suggest otherwise, especially if alcohol is involved.

For more info and discussion, please check out our TRAVEL INSURANCE Q&As topic.

David :wave
i hope people take notice of this.Youngsters think they have insurance going on stag,hen trips,but if alcohol is involved it could cause problems.Ourselves drinking is not a problem,2 pints or 2 glasses wine is enough lol.It is so inportant to read all info you can have (plenty on here),i dread the day our 21 year old wants to go on his own.Parents haven`t a clue what their kids are up to when away with friends,seen plenty of it in spain,they need to be made aware of their actions of alcohol abuse ,and the results out of it.Idon`t want to sound a prude ,but it will be to late when things go wrong.
2 pints can be enough to invalidate your insurance. I know of a case where a family had to pay for the repatriation of a body because their relative, who had been knocked down and killed whilst walking, was over the legal limit for driving. Study the wording of your policy.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.