America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
If you go to Mapquest.com or RandMcNally.com and put in the adresses that you want directions from it will give you the most direct route.
There are 'Welcome' (State run) centers on Interstates that combine rest stops with some tourist information brochures etc.
They are not frequent though and in the areas you mentioned it would be easier just to pull off the Interstate when you see signs that say 'Next exit- food/gas ' and you will see the Logos for McDonalds or whatever restaurants are off that exit. Buy a cola and just use the bathrooms there.
Thanks emdia43 for your help.Still can't decide whether to go via the 27 to Miami because we are not sure what the road is like.It's always quicker via motorway but then youo have to take a roundabout route to get to the keys.Anyway I am sure we will sort something out by then!!
I would just head straight down the 27...not much point crossing over 50m for the Turnpike. Turnpike is soulless too

Near Miami cut onto the 997 to take you down to US1 then on to KW

The 27 is a good highway...south of Okeechobee pretty empty too. You can keep up pretty good speed. Plenty of towns, gas stations food stops etc
Motorways dont really have service areas at all like we do...just signs at every town/turn off telling you what fuel stations and restaurants are there

Take the usual care for speed cops near towns on US27

The US1 to Key west is a bit of a pain though. Two lane highway..often choked with traffic. Can easy take 2.5 hrs to do the 120 m from Miami

However you can easily drive it in a day. I did couple of weeks ago
Hazzy,Did you mean you drove from the 27 or Miami in one day? I know it takes a long time to KW but we are used to doing long drives in France etc
I assume you mean Highlands Golf resort near Orlando?

Drove from Key West all the way up 27/441 to Buena Vista Orlando...set off about 9.00am...arrived 4pm...even stopping for lunch photos etc. No motorway/Turnpike. For me Interstates are worst way to travel.

The 27 road is fairly quiet and straight....To be honest I was 80-85 much of the way. (Speed limit is 70 for much of it)
I usually just wait for a "patsy" to speed fast and follow them about 1/4 mile behind. If they brake...so do I!!!
You just have to careful with speed...cop cars can even clock you when they are travelling in opposite direction. Blind bridges and near towns where speed limits drop...be careful
To be honest even sticking to speed limit it is entirely do-able
Trouble is...not very scenic...flat...with fields full of cattle. Not an exciting drive

US 1 KW to Miami is slow...there is a set of roadworks near Key Largo

Hope this helps
Thanks very much for the information-it was exactly what I was thinking it would be! It has put my mind at rest regarding doing it in one day! As I say we are used to doing long boring journeys through the Autoroutes in France.Don't want to sound ignorant but what is a "patsy"!?
Yes...the US27 is like a quiet N road in France...you can make fine progress. There arent many towns to slow you down either

US1 from KW to Miami is a pain. Heavy traffic...low speed limits etc

KW is nice though...laid back...A colonial feel...Familiar american trappings in an unfamiliar setting.....and as for the Famous Sunset...Hmmm...bit of a let down but worth doing for the street performers

Sorry "patsy" ...kind of means the Fall Guy...the one who takes the rap/gets caught!

Enjoy your trip
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.