Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Is Corfu for us
15 Posts
HI Anne,
without knowing a little more about your likes and dislikes it's hard to tell whether Corfu will be "your cup of tea". However, like most of the Greek islands different resorts cater for different tastes. As you describe yourselves as "old Middle aged" I'd immediately discount Kavos which is the teenagers partying paradise.

Hubby and I are in our mid forties and celebrated our silver wedding last year in Kassiopi, which we loved (read more in the Kassiopi thread). We also stayed in Acharavi on our very first holiday to Greece around 15 years ago. At the time it was a little known resort which we fell in love with and which started our love affair with the Greek islands.

Resorts in Corfu do vary and you'd need to post a little more info on yourselves in order to get some helpful advice and recommendations from experienced greek islanders on this forum.

Look forward to helping you out later. Bye
We normally go to Crete (never been to Rhodes but have been to other islands) but for the last two years ventured out and tried Corfu. We are in our 50's and like the slower lane. The first time we went to Agios Gordios which was beautiful. Quite isolated because it is in a bay and there are only two roads out, one to another village and the other to Corfu Town. There are some steep hills which can be difficult if you have walking problems.

Last year we went to Arillas and it was perfect. Nice little walks in the area. Fabulous restaurants and sooooo quiet! We are going back this year and are really looking forward to it.

It is very different to Crete, I love the Greek Islands and I think Crete is my favourite (probably because we have some special memories there), the landscape is very different, much drier and rockier but Corfu is very green and lovely.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Hi Again
We have been to Evia Island and Rhodes as we said but what we really liked was the people both times we stayed at small family run hotels and our evenings were spent with a nice meal and a few drinks with people we met at hotels and it was lovely. But I also like touristy shops. I loved Rhodes Old Town but found Ixia was not very greek apart from when we were at the hotel.
Thanks to you all
Anne
Another great advantage of Corfu is that you can catch the ferry to Paxos!
Another great advantage of Corfu is that you can catch the ferry to Paxos!

Yes, that's it's number one attraction for me too :D

Elaine
Anne

Corfu has a good variety of resorts to suit many tastes and ages.
We are in our 60's and return every year to Agios Georgios north in the rather quiet north-west. We stay in a small family run hotel where a high proportion of guests are middle aged and above and quite a few of the regular "returnees" are past retiring age. Many enjoy walking in the countryside during the day and idling over a meal and drinks in one of the tavernas and restaurants in the evenings.

As said before there are some resorts which attract the teenagers and can be a bit "wild". There are others which are very quiet and relaxing with just a few tavernas, restaurants and hotels and of course there the ones in the middle. It pays to take your time and use the Internet well to check around before you book.

Corfu is a beautiful island which is very green compared to many Greek islands and is well worth a visit.

Dennis
Anne

There are a lot of photographs and information about Agios Georgios north on http://www.agiosgeorgios.info

Dennis
There are many places in Corfu that will probably fit the bill. Acharavi has the advantage of not only being quiet and laid back with a good choice of tavernas and a few bars it is a scenically beautiful area with lots of lovely walks into the foothills of Mount Pantocrator. The beach is good; sand and shingle. There are quite a few shops for browsing. What I think sets it apart is that you can chose whether to just chill on the beach and then go out for leisurely eveing meals, or if some days you like to explore there is a local bus service to Kassiopi on the north east corner and to Corfu town, and there is also a good selection of day excursions and cruises. You will find some good local info and details of excursions on offer onCastaway Travel.
As you obviously like to feel part of a Greek village I would recommend travelling independently. Tour operators mostly only have big apartment blocks.Have alook at the smaller houses offered by Travel with Friends
Sue
Hi

I would love to recommend the beautiful village of Roda to you. It is in the north of the island, about 45 mins by taxi from the airport.

The locals in the village are wonderful and you would be mixing with them everyday as you wonder around the streets, shop and in the restaurants. So many return to the village because the locals there are so welcoming. We know people who went as children and are now returning with their grandchildren! The ages of visitors in Roda is wide ranging because the village has something to offer everyone but never gets wild and out of control.

The village is ideal to wander around in, and there is an easy walk across the beach into the neighbouring small town of Acharavi, which offers larger shops and supermarkets and more restaurants.

I am sure that you would thoroughly enjoy a holiday in Roda. If you want to explore further afield then there is of course car hire, excursions and the local bus service which goes to Acharavi, Kassiopi, Sidari in the other direction and to Corfu Town, which is compared to Venice without the water as most of the old town was built by the Venetians.

If you would like further information about Roda then you can find its website under officialroda on a search.

I really hope you find the right place for you and have a great time.
:D
Like evrybody else has said Corfu is lovely providing you find the right destination, we went many years ago and stayed in Benitsis which was OK but I believe now has changed so much, would not recommend Sidari or Kavos they are more for the younger element but when there about 4 years ago did come accross several middle age people enjoying it, but I think it all depends on what type of person you are, there are some beautiful places to visit in Corfu especially Corfu Town but like evrywhere there are places to avoid
I would thouroughly recommend Acharavi and totally agree with Castaway. It is a beautiful small village but has a few lively places . It has a laid back atmosphere and I'm sure you would love it. There are many very good restauranrs and tavernas and, if needed, a few supermarkets,gift shops and the like. My wife and I have been going there for 5 years and have been 8 times. We book our accommodation through Travel with Friends then book a flight only with Monarch. We stay in small locally owned apartments and really enjoy them. At present we stay in an apartment attached to the family home of Nicos and Eleni and it is just as though we are part of their family, they are so friendly and helpful. We have just returned from our third visit in 12 months with them and have already booked this apartment for next June. We put a provisional booking in with Castaway Travel which is on the left hand side of the main road going east from the Pump. As I said Acharavi is for anyone who likes a nice holidat with a lovely safe beach and great people :D :D
partyanne, I have visited both Rhodes and Corfu and therefore give you my two pennorth worth!

They are very different islands both visually and in terms of the locals. Corfu is green and lush and as you know much of Rhodes is pretty barren come high summer because it is the dust bowl of Greece. Taxi drivers in Rhodes tend to drive with their customers in mind. Corfu taxi drivers are nutters. I have never met a Corfiot who wasn't friendly and welcoming. In Rhodes it wasn't that they were not friendly because they were but they seemed more uninterested in general.

I think that if you loved Rhodes then you will fall in love with Corfu. Corfu is a lot more 'British' than Rhodes and that was something that annoyed me when I first visited Corfu but as the years have gone by I have mellowed. Let's face it, the Brits have been in Corfu for a very long time when compared with the rest of Greece.

If you visited Lindos and liked it then I recommend Kassiopi. Kassiopi isn't as big Lindos nor as busy but it is a pretty harbour town with something to offer everyone, young and old. It's also a good base for getting into Corfu Town. If you want a totally British experience with a fish and chip shop and Brit pubs then Roda is your place. If you want something a bit livelier then Sidari. Total peace and quiet, try Arrillas. Breath taking coastal scenery then Paleokastritsa.

I love Rhodes and Corfu but Corfu sneaks ahead because the people are so very friendly.
Hi Anne we are both in our 50s and have been to Corfu 4 times now and we are returning this September. We have stayed in Dassia, Ipsos and kassiopi and found Kassiopi much more to our liking. Its a lovely harbour town, people are very friendly, lots of restaurants and bars to suit all ages. Look out for the fireflys of a night they are amazing. Best of luck.
xxxxxx
Hi Anne, we are both in our 50's and we went to Sidari last year, as mentioned before it is quite lively but we like a bit of life and not a quiet resort, done that once never again. We loved it in Sidari and will go again soon.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.