Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Like KFJ I have no problem with small increases in prices if beach runners, room boys etc earn more. However I have a big issue with the corruption that is appearing to take over Goa.

All I've read on the forum is there are less people in Goa than last year and Manchester appears to have no shortage of late availability.

Goan has loads of charm beyond cheap food and beer and I know some people who have overlooked the dust and plastic bottles everywhere you look , because it offers a reasonable holiday resort with an abundance of charm. However this could be a thing of the past and we will all lose out.
Goan Government has to understand what brings back return visitors and continual corruption and prie increases will stop visitors returning

I can't wait to return in Jan 07 for 3 weeks and during that time will decide if it's Goa next year or somewhere new.
holiday makers are way, way down this year, I think they have killed the goose that layed the golden eggs.

just my opinion

lez
It is VERY quiet this year, I would say a third less than last year? (or at least it feels like it). I do think everyone has taken advantage of the tourist, and as more and more people come back they realise this.. Then, they think 'Hey, they're just blatently ripping us off!', and people just don't like it - I certainly don't! So they stop coming.. It's really unfortunate, Goa is a lovely place, I love it, I live here and every day I feel like I'm being ripped off for something, and it gets me down. If it was easy for me to get up and go then I might, but that's not the case for me. But it is for so many others...

I will NEVER pay a bribe. I went to get an Indian driving licence (I have all the right papers), and he took my Indian friend in and said that if I pay him 1000 Rs/- then I can have it. That was 4 months ago.. OK to me 1000 Rs/- is nothing, although it is still quite a lot, especially as the Internation licence (per year) is half that. So I still haven't got my Indian driving licence, the thing is I'd rather pay more for the right reasons than pay less for the wrong ones.

Oh well.. I'm sure they will learn sooner or later...
Got a taxi last night, an Indian would have paid Rs50, the driver asked me for Rs190, cant print what i told him but all he got was Rs70, the change in my pocket, I told my reg drivers who where on the corner and they laughed and said serves him right. I usualy give them Rs100, and I can get credit if we have no change,

I have phone numbers of straight taxi drivers If you want them or I will arrage a pick up PM me if you want.

lez
I'm afraid corruption here is everywhere from top to bottom.We have been here two months and the amount of stories you hear are amazing.We had to bribe a top official at the airport just to get our dog cleared,so i have first hand experience.Until there is a major clampdown from the Indian goverment nothing will change.

jc
Corruption and bribery is nothing new in Goa.

I'm from Goa and my parents are there at the moment. If you want anything done quickly it either takes forever or you have to pay a bribe. Example, when they wanted a landline installed in their house they were told that they would have to wait six months for it to be connected ( the brand new telephone exchange is only 20 metres from their property). Off course if they paid 5 times the rate they could have it the next day. It's the same for everyone not just tourists, just I suspect on a more obvious scale.

The police posting in Goa is one of the most sought after and police will pay LARGE bribes to be get a posting there. Off course they have to recoup the bribes they pay and do this by harassing the beach sellers and the shack owners.

My parent live in South Goa and we always use one our neighbours who is a taxi driver. He charged use Rs700 for an entire days driving from South Goa -> North Goa -> South Goa from 6.00am until 9.00pm.

When we asked one of the 'tourist taxi' drivers we were quoted over Rs 3000.

The worst thing is that bribery or baksheesh is seen as part of normal life and tourists in particular are seen as a cash cow to be milked.

Politicians in Goa have no interest in seeing this situation change as they enjoy the patronage of the very same corrupt anf greedy law enforcement officers who take part in the corruption.
Yes, I fear it is, and where Goa as a tourisr destination will finish up heaven knows. I've watched a steady decline over the last fifteen years in almost all aspects, until it is coming to the stage that I,m starting to think the unthinkable that mabey it's time to move on. I was in Thailand in June and the prices are'nt that much different and the flights were punctual and stress free. I,m writing this in Sydney and whilst the prices dont compare, the pride thats taken in the clenliness of the place is remarkable, and the colour and the clarity of the sea beyond descriplion, and yes the fights were on time and nobody grabbed our bags at the airport. Goas put absolutley nothing into it's tourist industry other than throwing up more and more accomodation, most of which is built illegally built without planning permission (but with the paymeny of the usual bribe) Nothing is done to improve their country, the attitude being if you cant make money from it dont bother.I,m afraid they are well on their way to killing the golden goose, and the drop in tourist this year is just one sign of this I'll be returning in late Feb for a couple of weeks but fear it might be my last visit because I know that nothing is going to change whats goiing on and things will just continue to deteriate. Rant over I'm off for a dip in the VERY clean sea Alan
I can only echo what has already been said. The No's are most definitely down on last season, Baga Road was like a ghost town at 11.00pm tonight!! The business owners are starting to panic, it's been a very quiet Christmas all round. With so much competition and so few tourists the situation looks grim for most of them.
As for the corruption it's getting worse by the day...........greed has set in and for those trying to run legitamate business' over here it's becoming a nightmare. Customs and excise are doing the rounds and back pocket fines are rife!! We are supposed to be in the midst of a terrorist threat and yes there are lots of police milling about but all they seem to be concerned about is how much free beer they can get out of the the bar or restaurant closest to the spot that they are glued to for a couple of hrs before knocking off and going home.
GFF xxx
Must admit didn't have any problem getting 'phone line in- Mapusa bsnl one day filled in forms, next day Calangute panychat line ..in within 2 hours. Huge notice up saying NO BRIBES IF ASKED REPORT AT ONCE. Broadband in next day. Local panychat couldn't have been more helpful also very efficient couldn't get service in Glasgow that quick. Same with cable t.v. again same day and no bribe#
Love puddd4 xxx.
The phone thing was many moons ago. I think the main problem is that the government doesn't really care about the corruption and those supposed to root it out are corrupt themselves. I for one I am ashamed to say would be happy to see fewer tourists in Goa. Enough damage has already been done to the environment by unscrupulous builders and hotel operators lowering the water table, encroaching onto protected land and fly tipping their rubbish.Corruption is bad and a fact of life that the locals have had to live with for a long time. It's not going to change anytime soon. :cry:
Well we're just back from 3 weeks in Calangute, brilliant as ever, but not sure if we would go for Christmas again, far too busy with all the Indian tourists.
My wife had her bag snatched on Baga Road by someone on a bike. I had warned her about this as it seems to be on the increase again. But when you've been for a nice meal, a few drinks etc, you're not always on your guard.
We went to the police at Saligau to get a crime report for the insurance.
They have a new scam now and tell you it takes 15 days to get the report done, knowing that a lot of tourists are only there for 14 days.
They say they will post it to you, but of course it may not get there.
However if you are prepared to give them a little present they will do it straight away. Only took 500 rupees but it's the principal not the money.
This is the second time in 12 visits we have had to do this.
We stay at Maggies on Holiday street and they phoned the police first and said it would be OK, no need to pay. They went mad when I told them.

So be very aware of bike thieves, and I even heard about some guys following carol singers into restaurants, pretending to be with them, then snatching backs off the floor or backs of chairs.

Luckily we didnt lose much but some lost a lot, just take out with you enough for immediats use.
We returned on Monday morning after a 4 week stay.

We've loved Goa since our first visit 7 years ago when, after much traveling we felt like we'd found our spiritual home. This year however we started to feel somewhat let down.

We base ourselves in a small guest house in Guarrowado, Calangute set down a cute windy lane. Over the years it's gradually become more developed, more houses have installed electricity and telephone lines which is completely understandable. However over the past 2 years the lane has been tarmaced, speed humps installed and the Panchyat has sold the wooded, uncultivated land to the highest bidder. Huge breeze block structures appear almost overnight replacing the swaying palm trees, blocking the light from the residents' properties and putting huge demands on the water supply.

This sadly has been echoed throughout Calangute, Baga and Candolim. Traditional properties are cleared and replaced by modern monstrosities, hills are illegally cut into to make way for horrendous tourist villas and gated estates only affordable to rich Mumbaikars and foreigners.

The Goans are starting to resent the rape of their land and no longer treat us with the openness, warmth and hospitality they used to offer so readily.

Due to the huge amount of hotels springing up package holidays are getting cheaper, attracting the lager-lout crowd who couldn't care less about the Goan and indian culture. They dress and behave inappropriately, bathe topless on tourist beaches and then get offended when Indians stare at them. They fill themselves with cheap beer, fight amongst themselves and tear down residential areas on mopeds in the early hours with little respect for anybody. These people are only there for two weeks and love to flash their cash about, leaving vastly inappropriate tips for taxi drivers and waiters. This makes the Goans greedy and they expect it from all tourists. 50 rupee rides suddenly cost 250 rupees and when you refuse to pay they simply shrug their shoulders as they know somebody will soon be along happy to pay their vastly inflated price.

After 1 week we decided to travel around Tamil Nadu. What a pleasant change to pay 10 rupees for a veg thali, 30 rupees for a half hour rickshaw ride and not to have to argue with shopkeepers when they attempt to charge you 10 rupees over the price stamped on the product!

We returned to Goa after a while still delighting in the scenery, food and beaches but hating the overdevelopment and brashness of the tourist resorts. We will go back in March but it won't be Calangute.
Goanmad,

You and I seem to have been going to Goa for the same amount of time.

My boyfriend and I started to become a little disappointed with north Goa about three years ago. Since then we have stayed in the south.

Admittedly, there are not as many restaurants as the north but we do prefer the peace and prettiness of the south.

Sydney.
Hi Sydney

Glad it's not just us then!

In 2004 and 2005 we travelled down to Agonda over Xmas, staying in beach huts and had a fab time.

Where do you normally stay in the South?

Vicky xx
Vicky,

In March we will be staying at the Majorda beach for the third time, however, next year we may go further south.

Sydney.
Goanmad,

Agree with what you are saying. Was surprised that they are starting to build in Arpora now!
Shocking, isn't it Big Neil? TThe development really seems to have intensified over the last 12 months and I can only see things getting worse.

Vicky xx

PS I've noticed you've mentioned visiting Kerala in another of your posts and think we'll be trying it out next Christmas.
Goan Mad,

The building makes me really angry. They just build where they like!

I visited my taxi driver last year in Arpora and he pointed out builders and businessmen in big cars strolling about the area, he said they were looking for land... it broke my heart when I saw the piece of land they were hoping to build upon, a beautiful tranquil setting with wildlife etc.. He said that they wouldn't be allowed... we shall soon see!

Surely Goa does not need any more hotels or night clubs!
:( I agree with what you all say. I've been going to Goa for about 8 years and I've noticed a big difference over the last 2. I too am thinking about where else to go, maybe over the boarder into Karnataka, not sure but its definitely not the place it used to be. I wish they'd all stay in Spain!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.