Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Is it all Over?
221 Posts
It's had it's day in my opinion. Not just because of the visa problems there are other problems aswell.
I was reading the visa thread last night and just thought to myself my god are people going to put up with this every time they apply? Will i get 3 months,will i get 6 months?..Will i get back in?...Will i get my visa on time??
I Enjoyed Goa probably more than most but i'm sorry it's just not worth it anymore. Places do change with time thats inevitable but for me it's time to move on find somewhere new without all the problems and hassles....somewhere that actually wants British tourists.
If you like the place as much as I do, why move on ? why give up on it ? If you want to try other places around the world then go do it.
There are a few who have done this but still come back to this site to constantly rubbish it.
I coudn't care less if Thailand, Cambodia accept the British tourist better, or that they are cleaner places and have better standard of hotels.
If you can't accept the rules of India, then just go elsewhere and let us Goa lovers get on having a good time.
Yes its a hassle Martin but i think its worth it when you get there, although i dont go back every year i do have a few years off.

Just ignore Spaldy hes the forums version of Victor meldrew ;)
There are lots of posts on other threads on this forum which make it clear that some people think that it is all over for them in Goa but they seem to be outnumbered by those who think that on balance Goa still has a lot to offer and that they will still keep returning for the time being. Given that you were last in Goa less than 6 months ago you are the person best placed to decide for yourself whether the positives still outweigh the negatives for you and whether you want to go back but I don't really see the point in opening up yet another thread that will only result in the same entrenched opinions being aired all over again.

Neither side is ever going to convince those on the other side of the fence to jump over and join them. And those of us who are here on this forum because we are thinking of visiting Goa for the first time are just going to have do our research to help us make up our own minds having read posts from both perspectives. I for one haven't completely turned my back on the idea of visiting Goa one day but for the moment it doesn't look as if it is my cup of tea but for largely different reasons than those which seem to be fuelling this 'for and against' row that is taking up more and more bandwidth on the forum. I'm used to visiting countries with varying degrees of difficulty associated with getting your visa and also countries that are so poor in comparison to here that nearly everybody you come across regards you as a wallet on legs. So I'm beginning to think that India is still on the list but probably a different region than Goa - a cheap primarily beach-based holiday is not one of my requirements.

SM
I'm afraid Martin_d asked in his post for views on" is it all over" Spaldy merely replied to his request for views. As usual the Goa lovers immediatley attack Spaldy for his imput. I'm a very old Goa hand and know what to expect re, visa hassles, dirt, beggers, and on and on, however if I was a first time visiter whose only experience of abroad was the "Med" and what the brochures say, and booked a package based simply on the Goa Lovers posts, without the other side of the picture, given by the likes of Spaldy, I might be less than happy with some of the pitfalls ahead, once I left the travel agents after paying my deposit.
alan
Don't worry about it Alan i'm used to it now!
One foot in the grave........Goan Goan Gone!!! :wave:
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100214/jsp/7days/story_12103811.jsp
I am also an 'old hand' in goa but disagree with you gramps, it is still a 'new' experience for first time visitors, you and I have seen it all before, doesnt make it any less exciting for the first timer. So what people have only experienced the 'Med' we have all been there. It is still a wonderful enchanting place to visit - it is what you make it.
I understand why Spaldy is fed up and needs to find a new place - however the majority of us still love Goa, still want to visit, never mind what Mickey comes up with - 2 month visas bring it on.
You people who are here hell bent on doing Goa down, for gods sake move on if you dont like it dont go there. As you all say there is a big wide world out there, I am sure the Thai and Cambodia sections will be more than grateful for your input.
And in answer to the question ' is it all over' no of course it isnt, it may be all over for you - your choice, not for us we choose to be there and we love it
If the likes of the doom and gloomers keep putting on Oh dear Oh dear threads there will be NO NEW people who will ever go to Goa ...It wont put us off going we love Goa warts and all the good out weigh the bad and thats it end off ....Dont know about every one else but its got I dont want to come on to HT of a day its really getting me down :cry all this doom and gloom. Life is too short COLLEEN
Just back on fleetingly catching up on posts and felt I wanted to post here.
For the vast majority of holidaymakers the changes in the Visa will make no difference.
SMa- why not combine Goa with a tour? My first trip started with the Golden Triangle, then Mumbai and finally Goa, where it was good to relax after an exhausting but brilliant time. Easy to do as DIY. Internal flights are very cheap. Don't let the doom and gloom posts put you off. If you study them, although there are many posts, they are by very few people. Goa is very rough round the edges but that is made clear to anyone reading the forum. For many, that is why they love the place.
Martin- if you are questioning whether to return after what seems to have been a good holiday in September, then perhaps you have your answer already. Sometimes, even when you have enjoyed a place, you can decide to move on and try pastures new- have done that myself with another destination.
irishcolleen wrote:
Dont know about every one else but its got I dont want to come on to HT of a day its really getting me down

It does me as well Colleen & am not going to put up with it any longer.

roxey wrote:
You people who are here hell bent on doing Goa down, for gods sake move on if you dont like it dont go there. As you all say there is a big wide world out there, I am sure the Thai and Cambodia sections will be more than grateful for your input.

Exactly!!
I love Goa , Thailand and Cambodia, they are all amazing , I am not going to 'take sides' because they are all fantastic , but unfortunately Roxey there is no Cambodia section - yet ;)
Visiting friends last November, who were staying in the Sant Monica Hotel in Calangute, I met a couple who had arrived a couple of days earlier, on their first visit, the lady hated it, had cried constantly, and demanded he Rep arranged their return to the UK immediatley, they even paid for the return flight themselves, so, Roxy, they didnt find it the "wonderfull enchanting place" that you and I do. Mabey if they had read some of Spaldys posts they could have been spared all that grief by not coming.
It now appears by Glynis's last post, that no comments or points of view,other than positive ones are going to be accepted on here, at least that's the message I took from it, my appologies if I'm wrong, so mabey their will be a few more tears shed this coming season by some first timers, if they manage to find their way through the first new experience, obtaining a visa.
Alan
No Alan I certainly didn't mean that no-one is allowed to say anything negative about Goa. I've said this before in a similar previous thread that HT is full of positive/negatives about nearly all the destinations. What, however is frustrating, is certain members are making it their mission to supply only negativity regarding Goa. They've holidayed there and obviously liked the place or they wouldn't have returned. Things apparantly changed and they no longer like it so have decided to holiday elsewhere (fair enough). But, it appears they don't want anyone else to go to Goa :que

As, has been said countless times on this forum, if members don't like Goa move on, and contribute in their new chosen destination forum. :tup
May be if they had read some of Spaldys posts they could have been spared all that grief by not coming.

Alan

Maybe if they had read the hotel reports they might not have chosen that one and then had a great time !!
There are lots of pretty dire places to stay, there are also some excellent ones. I find it strange that someone who shells out so much for malaria tablets, VISA's and flights ( or a package that gives hotel options) chooses to stay in a doss house that costs £10 per night but there you go, that's just me.
Oh, before anyone jumps in I'm sure you can also get a decent place for £10 too, but chances are it won't be.
I like the positives and the negatives of all posts, from anybody, it helps me (and I am quite sure many others) choose where we want to go, where to visit, how to get there, what to avoid etc..
But ''had it's day''.. ? - It does seem that those with property in Goa (and I do have sympathy with those that may lose out) are/will be the bitterest towards Goa and will post nothing but negatives against the place.
Spike
I too enjoy a measured debate that looks on all sides, but too often I feel that far too many of the posts here ignore the reality of what Goa is today, and too few people wish to hear a warts and all viewpoint such as Spaldys. I love Goa, been visiting likely longer than anyone else in the forum, right since Portugese days, so I've seen more changes than anyone, but a discussion forum has to take all views, the posters here , with hundreds of posts who have never once said a critical word on Goa, and the occasional other, who may give some unpalatable truths, that many dont want to hear. Dont shoot the messenger. Off my soapbox now!
Alan
A warts and all response from 'a said poster' (or is that sad) is quite often one to rubbish Goa and deter new visitors. I do not see why people who have property problems and visa problems, should attempt to put people off from visiting this great part of India.
I do agree 100% that the Indian Government / Goa Ministers have not got a clue on how to 'look after' the British tourist, is it something against the British Government ? But this should not deter people wanting to take a holiday here, so posts about Goa has 'had it's day' must be a put off for 'newbies'.
The only solution in my mind is - like it, love it - keep coming. If you have problems - move on.
'Rose tinted specs' is another very very boring comment that keeps cropping up - I don't where them, I see the good, the bad, and the ugly and accept them all - yes, I will gripe at a lot of things, that should be done, and I also wonder where my cash I put into the Indian economy ends up (certainly not making the tourist resorsts a better place).
Will I give up on Goa ? - Never.
Spike.
DaveWales - do you think the Santa Monica looks like a "doss house" in the brochure these people looked at - of course not. Everything looks lovely in brochures and maybe these people do not have use of the internet and took it on brochure description.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.