Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
can be at times, Pocillos has a long wide beach with no natural windbreaks, but overall its a nice part of the island,
I have been to Lanzarote three times. The first time was about July and it was very windy but not all the time. If you lay on the beach you ended up being sandblasted. There was also a spectacular thunder storm with lots of rain.The second time I went in November and there was one very windy day. The third time there was no wind at all. I don't think you should be very worried about wind because if it really was that windy all the time no one would go there.

If you want a REALLY exciting time while you're there, go to the Matagorda end of the beach and you'll see that you are very near to the end of the airport runway. You'll see a long metal structure sticking out into the sea that the planes use to line themselves up for landing. Sit on a rock in line with the structure and wait for a plane to come along. You'll be scared ***less when you see that it's passing over you at the height of about 50 feet!
The most windy resort on Lanzarote is probably Costa Teguise, but even there you will always find a beach to rest under the sun without wind. The most windy period is from APRIL to SEPTEMBER due to trade winds.

Have in mind that sometimes some fresh air is not so bad ;) especially during the summer.

Puerto del Carmen is lot less windy resort than Costa Teguise, so I dont think you have to worry.

LANZAROTE BEACH WEBCAM
Great, thanks everyone! and thanks for the aeroplane tip!!

Really looking forward to my holiday now!! xxx :yipee
"Great, thanks everyone! and thanks for the aeroplane tip!! "

I experienced this "thrill"in November 2005, with security a bit tighter you might not be able to get that close now. If you can still do it, don't bother trying to take a photograph of the plane going over you, the lens is filled with the plane's underside, just look up and enjoy!

Seriously, if terrorists wanted to cause disruption they couldn't find a better place than Lanzarote airport. I've never seen an airport where you can get so close to the planes - frightening really.
I think this one is a bit closer :))

search - famous video portal - for :

"B747 200 Air France Jet Blast St Marteen"

or "Air France TNCM Philippsburg"

Too bad air france has no flights to Lanzarote, they know how to have fun ;)
:D Hi - just to say we loved it in los pocillos, yes it was a bit windy, but the wind was well welcomed, because it was red hot!

Going off topic to your original question, but, The Irish rover does a gorgeous breakfast, so if your selfcatering, you wont go far wrong there. also if you like chinese food, I can recommend the one in the shopping centre (Overlooking sea), can honestly say this is the best chinese I have ever had either at home or abroad.

We also hired bikes (Dont know if thats something you are interested in), but as its very flat in los pocillos/matagora, we rode for miles, and stopped off, to watch the planes taking off! (Couldnt drag my son away, he was fascinated - as was my other half!!).

Have a fab time! I'm not the least bit jelous :D !!!

Regards, BBB
We loved los pocillos as well.
Lovely and clean long flat walks and not crowded or rowdy.
We were there in March and again in September and the days it was windy were welcome because it was so hot.
I can't imagine how hot it gets in July and August.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.