Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
You certainly will enjoy Koutouloufari, but you will be a fair way from the beach. After a hard day on Star Beach with 2 youngsters, it'll be a hard drag up the steep hill which is about a 15-20 minute walk.
Hello there,
You have made a great choice as i went last year to Crete, what i would say though is have a look at the Asterias village resort in Piskopiano as that's where i stayed and it was a lovely friendly atmosphere.

All these villages are within walking distance of each other and are up on top of a steep hill away from the busy Herssonissos which is full of mopeds and in truth no need to spend time down there unless your young and want to get drunk lol which im not.

I went with my wife and 2 kids aged 12,17 and the Asterias village was a perfect holiday which also had the best food that i have ever tasted from the Olivia, the village of Piskopiano is in the middle of the 3 villages and is a great base too.

Also the Greek night at Old Herssonissos is a top night out but book your table 1st as it gets very busy, but the dancing in the street is a great night out.(kids would love it)

Im sure you will have a great holiday as we had a lovely time.
Thanks for the replies people, its much appreciated.

Couple of questions though about the Asterias, which tour operator does it & do you have a rough idea of how much it would be for 2 weeks there? I know prices are pretty much guaranteed to go up for next year but if we can get a rough idea as to how much then we can try & budget for it.

Based on this years prices for the Silvia Apts it was coming up at around £1200 for the 4 of us to go for 2 weeks in may from birmingham so we're guessing at around £1500 for next may.

Thanks again everyone.
We booked through Thomas cook, i reckon your looking at around £1500 to £1700 roughly but i can't be certain of that.

If it is £100 to £200 pounds more than you wanted to pay i can tell you that the extra would be well worth it.

Go onto Tripadvisor.co.uk to look this and others up.

Hope this helps.
Thanks again, Thats a big help!! Just been looking at the Asterias & it does look like a lovely hotel. Just can't wait until they actually release next years holidays, we're sick of looking now & we just want to get something booked so that we have something to look forward to (plus it wil be nice to actually know where & when we are going!).

After not having a holiday for the last 3 years due to finances now we're in the position to actually go next year no-ones selling them yet!
Koutouloufari is nice, we stayed at the Sylvia last year, nice pool, The owners daughtere Athena was a bit miserable, when you go out of the back of the apartments up the little hill, turn right and it takes about 10 minutes to the village, which tavernas and bars, not noisy, you can walk a little further to Piskiapiano, then further, and a lot further is old Hersonnisos, we walked that one evening, too far, got a taxi back. The beach at Hersonnisos is about a 10 min walk downhill, but with youngsters would be a trek back up in the heat.We liked the holiday so much that we returned later in the year but to different studios, can't quite remember the name but not as nice as Sylvia.
I loved Koutouloufari, it felt much more Greek than Hersonnisos, the people were so friendly and there were some lovely tavernas and restaurants. We stayed at the Adonis apartments, we went down to Hersonnisos a couple of times but were gald to get back to the village :)
Thanks again everyone, One more question. we have been looking more in depth at the Silvia apts & were quite concerned over conflicting reviews, some have said that its nice & quiet but others have said that there were loads of dutch 18-30's there.

I really don't fancy taking my family to somewhere that is going to be overrun by drunken yobs
If steering clear of drunken british yobs is a big factor for you try the general area of Chania. Like many on this site I've experienced most parts of the island. Once you've discovered the west you'll seldom go back east.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.