Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
We've always cruised with Ocean Village but this year trying the Island Escape. I know from reviews that certain parts of this ship are looking "tired" but I'm not too concerned about this. However, I think I'm right in saying that there is no fridge in the cabin (as on OV) so I would like to know if there is any way of getting chilled water for your cabin. Thanks
Hi JulieG

I went on a med cruise with Island Cruises (previously first choice now thomson I think, just me, approx 3 years ago, and there was no fridge in the cabin that I had. I don't know about the suites higher up. I must say I really enjoyed the cruise too, as a solo passenger I felt 100% safe and got to chat to people in my own timef and chill out on my own when I felt like it. The staff were brilliant, and although tips during the voyage are discouraged, I did tip (as did many of the passengers) at the end.

Hope you enjoy it.

Regards :sun2
You can always ask your steward for ice, or ask at one of the bars. They will always give you a glass full of ice.
Hi
Just back from Island Escape yesterday and cabin had fridge in.Outside cabin on Deck 9
Johnny C
Thanks for that. Can you also tell me if there are tea making facilities in the cabin. I sound like a teetotal asking about water and tea but I require these refreshments after a heavy night!! Did you by any chance do the Meditterrean Spirit cruise. If so, do you have any hints about excursions e.g. DIY or ship organised. Any other useful/helpful tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Hello, can anyone tell me what the standard balcony cabins are like on the Island Escape, the price for these cabins are £238.00 each extra per week. I have looked at the online island cruise brochure and the only difference i can see is that it is a standard outside cabin with a balcony. £576.00 for 1 week seems a little expensive if that is the only difference, is there a fridge, hairdryer, or tea and coffee making facilities, the Thomson website dosnt have any images or information regarding the cabins , only the suites and deluxe cabins. Maybe i would be expecting too much for £576.00 ????
HI ALL its been a long time since i have been on forumn. I was one of the lucky D/E cruisers and enjoyed my Melody time. I am now going on the Island Escape 1st September around the med. A couple of questions which may have allready been asked but could someone please tell me what plug I will need in cabin? I am on corol deck anybody been there and could tell me anything? :cheers
Although I have never been on her, can I suggest you take a 4 pin extension. That way you will definitely have enough GB plugs for all your needs. We always pack one, even on land based holidays.

Enjoy your Cruise.
Hi All. Can anybody help me out regarding tips on the Island Escape. I am on a tight budget and somebody has mentioned about a percentage is added to your bill towards tips. How much approx???? I was thinking I would just tip who I felt deserved it, cabin crew etc. Let me know the people please. Thanks :que
Hi unless things have changed dramatically, I went on the Island Escape 4 years ago approxf and tips were discouraged. They operate a cash free ship, for all on board purchases, gifts, drinks etc, and tips were not included.

If at the end of the trip you wanted to seek out and reward your fave barman then you could, as some passengers did, I did too - but it was not obligitory.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Miss Pink for that info about the tipping. Upon further investigation I think waht you said is right. Makes me feel abit better . Obviously I will tip certain staff but did not like idea of being forced to. :cheers
No problem barbj1 - glad it helped. I must admit at the end of the cruise I was more tha happy to reward the cabin lady and a bar steward in particular and they were so grateful too - I hope the staff are as friendly on your cruise.

Happy cruising.
Just booked last minute around the Canaries with Island Escape and wondered if there are any free wi-fi spots on board, dont know whether to take my laptop or not?
Don't think there is any ship with free internet for everyone.

Some cruise lines give some free time to loyal pax.
Hi there is a website which I always use for any review but unfortunately I am not able to post it as I ahve not made enough posts but it is very simple, ** Deleted ** Island escape is a very old ship so it might be a bit rough on the edges have seen some awful pictures on this website. I hope I havent put you off your cruise.
Our checks have shown a direct connection between the member posting above and the website being promoted, therefore any recommendations may not be impartial.

luci :wave
Hi all

Will be going on the Island Escape on the 26 March we were on the Celebration last year (1st cruise) and thought it was fantastic I have read some bad and good reviews about the Island Escape but I think you have to make the most of your hoiliday whatever your hit with, we are not paying expensive cruise company prices and got a good deal, £600 less than the Celebration and with the drinks package!.

So less than 7 weeks to go and starting to get excited whatever the reviews.
Hi Sterling, I'm sure you will enjoy the Island Escape, as long as you realise that it is in need of a refit.

We had our third cruise on her last December with the AI drinks package. It was well worth it.

The ship might be shabby, but it is comfortable. The shows are first class, and so are the crew.

Our only complaint was coming home - our two previous cruises were 16 and 18 nighters - both to Brazil.

Do hope you're not disappointed.

Marn. :wave:
I am sure you will have a great time. You are going with the right attitude which is what we did, yes its in need of a re-fit but it was clean, food was good and entertainment was good. No-one can be pleased all of the time, and we all have different tastes in food and entertainment, but we found that there was something for everyone. Just go with an open mind and that you are going to enjoy your holiday no matter what, we enjoyed it a lot despite all the negative reviews. Yes we could moan about different things if we had wanted to, but we were more intent on having a good time and we wernt ready to come home at the end of the cruise. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.