Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
We have been on the Thomson Spirit (2 years ago) and also both Island Ships, Island Escape (3 years ago) and Island Star (last October). My advice would be do not pick the Island Escape as it is now somewhat run down since most of their financial resources have been poured into the refurbished (last year) Island Star.

If it were my choice I would go for the Island Star rather than Thomson Spirit because it is a newer, refurbished ship. We had our 15 year old daughter in the Island Star inside cabin we had, and were surprised at the space available for essentially 3 adults..

If it is the free AI that is the over-riding attraction then Island Star do not offer it. If you can cruise outwith the main mid-July/August period there are great deals to be had nearer the time. My advice would be just agree your holiday date with employer(s) and keep an eye open on teletext P227 deals nearer the time.
Hi,

Thanks for that. My friend said she was told Island Escape is having a refit early next year.
Been on both the Spirit and the Destiny, but preferred Spirit's Lido to Desnity's version!

We would go AI as it is a far better way to cruise, no big surprise bills at the end, we are not huge drinkers, but it all adds up, especially the soft drinks through the day.

We are planning to go April, May or September as our son will only be 2 and its far too warm for him during summer months.

Decisions decisions!!!

:lol:

Angie x
Hi Angie, My how time flies eh? We have just done Island Star and for me personally, the ship was much newer and nicer than Thomsons but thats were it ends for me. :(Tthe food in buffet was similar to Thomsons no complaints there , but to get food like you would get in Compass rose or Seven seas you have to book in advance and its about 25 pounds for the 2 of you. Soon bumps the price of your holiday if thats the food you want. Also entertainment not a patch on Thomson ( no and im not being biased ) we thought the cruise director and ass cruise director were rubbish and also the cruise host. Some of the showteam were very good but they only did 3 shows the whole week . hence were back on Destiny in 2 weeks time yeh :lol:
Laine.......great to hear from you!
Hows your daughter doing? what ship is she on?
Is Mr Guy married yet????????

Well, my friend came back on Tuesday, she has been on Spirit, and sh said it was much the same, said she was talking to people who had been on Spirit and it had gone downhill..........???????????????

What are your thoughts on us taking Calum on a cruise April, May or Sept???

They said there was only 1 pool and a baby pool on Island Escape......TBH I cannot see by Thomsons as I have had a great time on each cruise, and in my opinion a cruise nowadays is a better option, as in a hotel if Calum wanted bed then we would be stuck in a hotel room, but the ship is fine for a wee one sleeping in a buggy or on a knee watching an early show, we are going to a villa this year in Italy, which suits us, as if he needs bed, we can sit on patio and he is safe and sound, but we are dying for a cruise...not had one since 2005!!!!

Please give me your honest honest opinion.......I know you will, I trust you and value your thoughts.

Angie x
Remember that IE low price is £299 so if you are flexable on dates late booking and DIY the drinks could be cheaper than paying up now just to get free AI.
Angie. I think its going to have to be personal choice,either way Callum will be fine, We took Meyah when she was 18 months and she was like a celebrity no problem whatsoever they pampered to her every need. My friend has just come back from Spirit also, Fjords, she went on Escape last year and didnt like it but my brother is going on next tuesday he has been on before so he must like it. Your decision. Louise had a break from cruising this year . let me know what you decide.
Thanks Windjammer, not able to be so flexible with dates, hubby needs to book his time off work, and we would want to be on deck 5 in Destiny or Spirit, and maybe Flamingo deck on IE. We really need to book asap to get that as cabins that take a cot are limited on these decks.

Thanks Laine, I'm more toward Thomson, as they have been excellent each time I have been on.....Destiny or Spirit though??????? 8)

Tell Louise I said hello. :D

Only thing about spirit is open dining, Destiny is set times, but we would just opt for early sitting.
Calum will be 2 when we go, and as much as he is too young for kids clubs etc, its a good way to go on holiday with a wee one in my opinion.

Ang x
Hi angie :D :D

Long time no hear - hope you are all well and you get a cruise booked soon :wink:

Karen
xx
Hellllllllllllo!!!

How are you? Cruised this year?

Any advice???

Angie x
OMG Angie..I can't believe your "bump"is 2 !!! He was cruising long before he was born. Also Hi to Laine. Hope Lou is well. We were on the Spirit last year and are doing the Celebration this year. Who's working on the Celebration this summer? Anybody know?
Hbrac, the only 1 i know of is a young guy named James he was on Emerald last year so dont think you will have seen him before, beautiful voice and a nice freindly person. Were on Destiny 9th August have you done Naples on any of thomsons?
Hello.........

Yup, Hbrac, my "bump" will be 2 by the time we go cruising next year, he is 15 months at the mo, how time flies!! I remember telling you all I was expecting....you lot have seen me through my wedding first of all, then my report on our cruise for our honeymoon, and then my awful pregnancy...followed by the arrival of our gorgeous son. I feel like I know you all!

We are going to a villa in Italy this year as it is "Calum" friendly!!!!

Laine.....I was at Naples in 2004, grotty looking place (at the port anyway), we were told to watch our handbags etc as their is a lot of pickpockets and muggers around the port area, we went to Sorrento on an organised trip, superb...we actually thought about going to Sorrento this year on holiday, but it would have needed to be a hotel, and they are very expensive, and we didn't fancy being in our hotel room from 7pm if Calum wanted bed, as he has a good routine going on...bed at 7pm up at 6.45am!

Would have liked to do Capri, but not enough time, I would recommend Sorrento. ..Gorgeous!
And the views of the Amalfi coast....to die for! (coach stops to let you get pics)

Hope this helps!

Angie x
:ghug
hi been on the island escape and the emerald...

i whould definetly vote island escape the better ship.
more freindly. :D
I know the emerald is the "posh" ship, not in terms of any difference to food etc, but more geared toward adults, we were booked to go on it but cancelled as we had booked before i fell pregnant with our son, and he would have only been 5 months old if we had gone ahead with holiday, I just felt the Emerald wouldn't be the ideal ship, had it been Spirit or Destiny our decision may have been different.

I found both the Spirit and the Destiny very friendly, staff were excellent, and we met lots of nice people, and have remained great friends with a couple from Ireland we met in 2004.

Still no decision made and we need to book by tonight for the free AI.

Help!!!! :?

Angie x
Hi Angie, Have you got booked? Which one did you go for?
Laine, no, we have not booked yet!

Cannot decide if we should go April or September, bit worried about how the sea will be in September. We were planning Canaries,as it will be nice and warm both months.

Whats your thoughts??

Angie x
Angie, Canaries is Atlantic and iv heard enough about rough seas in Atlantic to keep me away. Ship only has to move a ripple and im :yuck,I take tablets nearly all the time even in Med. But thats just me i would like to do canaries but that puts me off
Thats a thought....I remember that the med is like a pond and then the atlantic is a tad rougher.....hmmm!! Not ideal especially in September! I have been fine when on med or atlantic, although when Thomas and I did our cruise in 2005 while we were in atlantic during the night the drawers kept opening i our cabin and slamming shut.....near gave me a heart attack!! But it didn't make us ill, but is rougher now I think of it.........ho hum, back to the drawing board!!!!

:roll:

Angie x
I am of on the Island Escape next tuesday so I will write a review when back. We are all mixed ages from 40 down to 15 there are 8 of us going.

Must say it is a lot cheeper than Thompson for a family cabin, we got All Inclusive free also, which we intend taking full advantage of!!

Regards Liz.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.