UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Isle of Skye
4 Posts
Also any advise on the midges would be gratefully recieved :D
Down in the south of Skye you're quite long way from the nearest supermarket of any size and for standard stuff you'd be as well stocking-up at the Co-op before going over the bridge but it's still not that large. If you're planning to arrive via the Mallaig ferry then you'd be best stocking up before you leave home or else be prepared to head for Portree and Broadford for anything other than a little village shop. And bear in mind that you won't be able to rely on any shops being open on a Sunday. And, yes, you will be missing out on good local fresh produce, especially the Talisker malt whisky and Isle of Skye brewery beer :-) Seriously, there is some excellent local produce available and you'll find the following site helpful - it provides info and links to a whole range of local producers:

http://www.foodlinkvan.co.uk/skye/producers-intro.html

It probably won't be as cheap as your local superstore but then nothing is in that neck of the woods but the quality will be much better.

As for shopping in general you'll find lots of small interesting shops all over the island and right by where the Mallaig ferry arrives in Sleat you'll find one of my favourite clothes shops - Ragamuffin. It sells mainly designer knitwear but also lovely linen and natural fibre clothing that is that little bit different.
Thank you for the advice

Think we will take the basics and a few days supplies with us and then sample the local produce.
My Husband is looking forward to sampling the isle of Skye beer.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.