Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Jellyfish
12 Posts
Well I was stung by one in the sea at Formentor about 10 days ago...

left a 3 inch diameter horseshoe mark on my thigh :shock:

it hurt like :swear at first, and was quite sore for about 4 hours. I didn't have any treatment except the icepack from our picnic bag.......and later some antihistamine cream (why didn't we pack it in the beach bag?). I've still got the red mark though......

But nobody else seemed to be stung, and we swam lots in Puerto Pollensa with no problem (just got back today)

We did hear that they had been bad in Cala san Vicente, but it seems to depend on the wind speed and direction.

It wasn't as terrible as I feared, although I would not like a child to have been stung like I was :?
It is not as bad as had been predicted, and not as bad as last year. There have been some pockets of jellyfish in some parts but certainly no "plague". I have not seen any in Alcudia or Playa de Muro.

Just an additional point. There is a cream that is meant to deter jellyfish unless there is a really bad infestation. It is a sun cream ISDIN factor 25, available in chemists here. Maybe a bit high or bit low as a sun cream, depending on your skin type. I have a bottle and hope I don't need to use it!!
We were in puerto pollensa, alcudia, formentor and cala san vincente and I didn't see one! Glad this was psoted before I went cos it would have made me nervous!! Ive been stung by jellyfish in the red sea before (3 at once- not clever!!) and I have to say it didn't hurt as bad as I thought (though I wouldn't recommend it!)- wasn't left with any marks though as someone on here as mentioned. But for what its worth I didnt see a thing in Majorca!
magaluf beach dosent normaly get them but on few occasions you might see a few , vinegar is good for a sting if you get one
They have boats out this year trying to catch the jellyfish before they head towards land, read it in the mollarcan gazz local english on the net.
I wouldn't want to put anyone off...like I said, it wasn't as bad as I feared....

also we have been to Majorca 12 times and never had any problems before :)

The receptionist at our hotel said we should have dragged the edge of a credit card firmly across the sting to get the poison out, then applied cream straightaway. I saw later there was a lifeguard/first aid station on the beach, I am sure they would have helped if I had gone.
we go in August and at some point we alwasy see loads of baby ones. I have been stung a few times but my oldest son one year was stung 4 times by the little zappers and we alwasy just pop along to one of the life guards and they alwasy haev a tube of this miracle cream - which works but they are aways baby ones,

We've seen them on the Magaluf beach, Son Matias beach, Son Caliu beach and the Palma Nova beach

but if ever you are concerend speak to the life guards and the information places i haev alwasy foudn them to be very helpful
We got back from Puerto Pollensa on Saturday. I was stung on the leg by one of the little blighters and it was very painful. I had huge red wheals right around my calf. Luckily my hubby went off to the chemist and got some cream, which helped. The same day a little girl was stung really badly on her leg, chest and hands. I had the cream handy so gave some to her very grateful mum. We went back to the beach the following day and a man and another little girl were stung. I know it doesnt seem like a lot for a whole beach full of people but I'd be worried about letting a small child go into the sea.
back from Sa Coma last week ,went to a small beach near Porto Cristo ,my lad was stung on the elbow by one
never seen him move so quick :lol:

said it only hurt for about an hour or so but still has the mark there now ,some 6 days later

we were in and out the sea most of the week and i only saw one little un all that time
Just got back from calas de mallorca today & last week, a few days after a storm we had masses of jellyfish on Cala Domingos beach

Saw one swim past & I shot out of the water ! :omg

yesterday we visited the beach & the water was perfect, and minus those critters !
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.