UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Jersey
19 Posts
Hi Tarry - don't know how I missed this post. Hubby & I stayed in St Hellier 2 yars ago, but unfortunately it wasn't a pleasant visit. We had a bereavement at home and had to return early. Just so that you know - there are no shops open on a Sunday, apart from a couple of cafes and believe it or not the bookies. The nicer restaurants all required booking in advance, and seemed to be located around a "square" We enjoyed a nice walk around the harbour, but there was nothing else in that area, apart from a couple of vans from which we had a cup of coffee. Our circumstances rather tainted our visit to be honest. I hope you have a lovely time.
I'm sorry about your bad news whilst you where over there :( I am arriving on a Sunday, but that doesn't matter that everything is closed that day as I will be just taking the bus from the airport that day to my B&B and probably getting my bearings whilst I've settled in. I am there for 5 full days.
Tarry we went a few years ago now and we hired a car ( a smart)dont know if this would appeal to you we was off exploring everyday really enjoyed it dont think i could stay in one place for 5 days theres not enough going on in St Helier to keep you busy especially in Feb i could be wrong but thats my opinion..There is a lot of places to see hope the weather is kind to you love jersey...
I can't drive unfortunately and if I did, I would probably not been allowed to hire a car due to my age (sit on the limit of age) I'm planning on getting a bus ticket for the week and exploring the Island :) I couldn't stay in one place :) I've not done this sort of holiday before, I normally fo with someone who drives (although I do use buses a lot), so it's novel. Not going until March, not sure what the weather will do, because I can't even remember what sort of weather I get, but use metcheck etc before I go :)
Hi tarry, we used to go to Jersey when the kids were young...but that's over 20 years ago when Bergerac was all the rage. The last time we went was for our 20th anniversary in 2000 and I must admit it had got a bit run down then as regards tourist attractions - but I know there has been lots of development since then round the harbour etc.

Offshore from St Helier is Elizabeth Castle, which you can walk out to at low tide, or they have sort of amphibious "ducks" to take you out there if the tide is high. The castle is quite good to wander round.

You can also walk along the coast from St Helier, or get buses. http://mybus.je/
There are lots of places to visit depending on your tastes
another castle, Mount Orgueil at Gorey
the Zoo, now called "Durrell" but that's away from St Helier.
There's a great beach at St Brelades, but that might not be brilliant in March!
There's a pottery, German underground Museum (bit creepy) plus other German occupation stuff.
If you get into the countryside I expect the spring flowers etc. will be very pretty.

When we used to go, coach trips were popular. There's still one company operating
http://www.tantivybluecoach.com/Home/
The advantage of a coach trip is that you get a seat to and from your destination (not that the buses will be jam-packed at this time of year), and a commentary so that you learn more about where you're going - but it depends on your budget.

We have never been in March, but you will probably find the weather quite changeable - that's a good thing because if it starts off raining it may well clear up later in the day. Having said that, when we were last there I had a warm coat on all the time while we were out and about....

However the island itself is quite charming - hope you have a good time :)
Thanks for your kind reply Acorncup and for sleep_r_us and Helen :)
I probably budget about £300 for the week or so. I don't mind it been cooler or rain, I can dress for that :) That's a good idea about the spring flowers, I did forget or not think about spring been on the horizon. I do like the renewal of early Spring :)
Will look at that site once I've submitted this post :)
Have a look here Tarry http://www.jerseywartunnels.com/ Hubby & I really wanted to visit here, but left it to our last day & found it closed - I thik it was shut on a Monday - but check it out :tup
We did the war tunnels a few years ago hubby found it very interesting him into history and all that i found it a bit boring being a women (haha) i did find it really cold in there too wrap up..We did the butterfly farm loved that didnt realise there was so many different types of butterfly and really large ones.We did Durrels zoo i really loved that we've been twice now and would go back again if we decide to pay jersey another visit.You could do the flower market in St heliers thats a nice way to spend a hour away.There's also the swimming pool up the hill i St Heliers its a sports centre and theres the inside bowling centre i was getting quite good at bowling we tended to go most night's before we went for something to eat.Have a nice time what ever you decide to do.
Glad you're sounding positive tarry, the island itself will definitely be worth looking at. I know you wanted some hand feeding :wink: , but if you can get a guide book or something, knowing a bit about the history of it before you go, is interesting
After I'd posted I did discover that some of the attractions (including Elizabeth Castle and the Museum) are closed until April :(

There are lots of shops in St Helier if the weather is bad, and a covered market.
If the weather is half decent you can hop on a bus and go somewhere (I definitely recommend Mount Orgueil Castle at Gorey, and St Aubin's is another pretty place) have a wander round and then pop into a pub for lunch ;)
I am off going off season, well thats the only reason I can go, so not surprised things are closed :) I do hope to visit the war tunnels. I've got a guidebook which I ordered, not sure which one it is, just a pocket one.

Hope to visit St Aubins :) It does sound lovely :)

Thank you all for your kind replies to my thread :)
Seems like Jersey is been hit by warmth at the moment, so warm over here right now :cheers
That's good. :)
You didn't get delayed by the fog then?
nope I didn't :) I flew over in brillaint sunshine, but flew back in rain and whatnot. Bit more movement coming back, but nothing too bad :cheers
aw did you have a good time? What did you go and see in the end?
On Sunday I met with some friends I have other there, likewise Monday and I had a visit to Goldsmiths, and than dropped off in St Helier later on that day. Got a bit lost and ended up in St Saviour. On Tuesday I had a good explore about St Helier for most of the day. On Wednesday I had a tour around the Island with another friend I have in Jersey, and we went to Devils hole, Plemont bay (awful long walk from the top near the abandoned Pontins but lovely cave and beaches), La Corbeire lighthouse etc and the rocky coast, Thursday I went to Gorey, and on Friday I went to St Aubins. I was very lucky with the weather apart from the last day, I had brilliant sunshine most of the time. The scenery in Jersey is stunning, especially the rocky coast, I do like beautiful coastline. The jersey royal potatoes are soon to be harvested it seems, they are covered up in white sheets and potato fields seem to be everywhere. Didn't really see many jersey cows, just mostly fields of potatoes. In regards to devils hole, the model of the devil was different although I saw a photo of the original devil, that looked really creepy. It was quite a long walk down to the hole, but the scenery was breathtaking, free too, sometimes places charge you for natural views (Cliffs of Moher in Ireland for example), but it was free.

It was a super time and I hope to go back, infact I've been told I most go back :)
Thanks for the report. Glad you had such a good time, and I'm sure it's worth another visit :)
yes, that's what I thought, I really need to go back ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.