Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Caro perhaps the official line is that they are doing this due to civil unrest, but there is an underlying financial reason ?

As the FCO say that the Red Sea Resorts are still safe to travel to and you are on a package holiday, maybe Red Sea Holidays will purchase some seats on Easyjet or Thomson, presumably not many people are booking so there must be spare capacity.

Perhaps you should ring Red Sea Holidays and tell them what you know about Jet2 and ask who you will be flying with ?

Doe :sun2
Caro perhaps the official line is that they are doing this due to civil unrest, but there is an underlying financial reason ?

That was my first thought too.
Hi Doe,
Thanks for your reply :) . The cancellation of the flights does not affect my specific holiday as such (yet anyway!) as I will be travelling to Ghazala Beach with Red Sea for half term week (19 - 26 Feb) which falls before the 1st March cut off date. The point I was attempting to make was if they have cancelled flights for the 'safety and comfort' of their customers why have they waited until 1 March and not done so with immediate effect, notwithstanding flights for the repatriation of their customers already out there.

My holiday to Iberotel Palace for 24 March is booked with Thompson and a lot can happen in 6 weeks!

The cynic in me thinks that FO is not following other countries in issuing an advice not to travel notice to prop up the British travel industry which was affected adversely by the volcanic ash cloud, extreme weather conditions and the Tunisian conflict. The more generous side of me thinks that having been to Egypt so many times I should offer support by going and spending as much money as I can there! Though it will feel somewhat obscene lounging on a sunbed when there are such problems in Cairo. Staying B&B on the promenade of Naama Bay we are likely to be affected more by restaurant and bank closures more than those staying all inclusive.

Unless the tour operator cancels the holiday I shall probably still go but I'm finding it difficult to look forward to the holiday in the same way as the situation is still volatile. As you will know 'counting the sleeps' is usually an important part of the holiday!
Doe,
Regarding Red Sea Holidays sourcing other flights for those booked after March 1st, I'm aware that when there have been airline failures in the past they have dealt with situation efficiently and provided alternative flights. I have used them several times before and have always found them a pleasure to deal with though this time I booked through an agent on Teletext so assume that any enquiries would have to directed via the agent.

Just thought Id give them a thumbs up :tup as they are a small but good company and I hope they can ride this situation out.
Kind regards, Caro
Hi Caro

Its a difficult one isn't it. I think in general the Egyptian people would want us to go to keep supporting their tourist industry.

Ive no idea what to think about the FCO and the prop up of the tourist industry.

Half the time I am cynical about it, the other half I think well it wont help the travelling public if one of the big two goes belly up. There is hardly any choice in the package tour market as it is, so I wouldn't like to see a complete collapse of the industry - it's hard for the person in the street to know what goes on behind closed doors.

Maybe the other Countrys FO's have over reacted rather than the UK under reacted?

I can understand them pulling people out of Cairo, but am not sure enough has happened in the Red Sea Resorts to warrent what the Russian and other European Country's have done.

Hopefully both your holidays should go ahead OK :tup fingers crossed that Red Sea Holidays manage to ride it out as you ahve had such good service from them. They will probably just use Easyjet if they go from the right airport.

Hi Doe,

Hope to be sitting here in three weeks time writing a review and saying what a wonderful time we had!
Caro
Further to my comments regarding Red Sea Holidays just had a quick nosy on their website and it seems they are now using Thomson as a carrier from East Midlands to Sharm el Sheikh from end Feb.
Glad to see its sorted Caro :tup nice to know that Red Sea Holidays are looking out for their clients. Have a lovely time.

Hi Caro,Its just been announced that Jet 2 have stopped flights from my local airport but to be honest it doesnt surprise me.
Last year there were many delays as they dont seem to have the aircraft other airlines have so if one is out of service there is a knock on effect.
Why are you not going to Hurghada. :que :rofl :rofl
Doe, thanks. Have decided not to fret any longer and spent some time sorting out holiday clothes earlier to put me in the mood :cheers

Jay Trip,
Hi I know it seems odd that I'm off to Sharm because I do much prefer Hurghada. My friend and I couldn't wait until summer to go back to Egypt so booked on impulse the weekend before everything kicked off :cry . As she is a teaching assistant it had to be half term and unfortunately there are no weekend flights to Hurghada. The Ghazala Beach belongs to the same hotel group as Grand Resort and Siva Grand in Hurghada. I've stayed next door at the Maritim Jolie Ville and also at the Novotel on the promenade so know its in a good position though its by no means what one would call luxury.

The holiday to Iberotel Palace was booked ages ago - another of my friends who has often been to Hurghada with me fancied trying Sharm for the first time. The hotel was chosen as I loved the idea of a little hotel boat taking you to a reef to snorkel. Needless to say, since we booked it the shark attacks happened and the boat no longer runs.... :duh

I'm so glad that you liked Hurghada when you went as it often seems that if people like Sharm they dislike Hurghada and vice versa. When are you planning to go back and will you go back to the same hotel? Where do you usually fly from?

Caro
Caro,We flew to Hurghada from Gatwick as we were visiting our daughter in Surrey so took the opportunity to try Hurghada as flights dont start from our local airport,Newcastle until May.
We are going back to Surrey for half term but we are looking for something reasonable in March as we have to pay for our May holiday to Rhodes next week.
The prices are quite expensive,even with the situation in Cairo.Tunisia is our second choice.
We looked around the Siva Grand when we were there and loved the beach there ,but the Sindbad was really great.
The 11 restaurants to choose from and using the the 3 hotels facilities meant it didnt get repetitive.We also liked being able to walk out on an evening up the boulevard.
We will definitely go back this November/December.
Have a good holiday in Sharm :tup
Sorry folks but you are heading a bit :offtop and away from the Jet2 subject.

Please feel free to have a chat in this new topic http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=150375

Cheers
Graham
my friend got informed in december that jet2 would not be going to sharm in june, they transferred her to thomas cook for an additional £250, she only booked with jet2 as it was cheaper in the first place, she was not given a reason why they had cancelled
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.