Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Well Dave
great to hear you enjoyed your holiday. Thanks for the detailed report. :)
Thanks for such an honest report Dave......Keith
it seems that today is the 10 point day for me. this is another balanced, informational and Very good report. we need positive threads here lately. to give a fresh ones a right start. i've been worried lately about the future of this forum, but i can sleep peacefully as long as there are trip reports as this one. thanks DaveWales!
argo
ps. maybe there is something to do with a Wales thing.. my daughter is wondering around the Wales these days, but probably not... it is a report that was good ;)
  • Edited by elephant 2009-12-11 22:54:39
Great report Dave,really good to read so many positives,we`re at the M.D in feb,can`t wait now.
A good read thanks, Wildernest was one place I fancied visiting from reading other reports, so is it really worth the cost or do you think it was a one off bad trip ?
Spike.
spike .. if you value an experience over cost then it will be worth ... look my pic at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mustlane/2111394452/in/set-72157603460515973/ and further. a 3 year ago experience and i think it is better during dry time. but DaveWales is right... one day arriving, one staying, third leaving seems to be an optimum. if in a need of fresh air, peace and eco thing then you will enjoy it longer.
argo
I was at Wildernest 4 years ago and loved it. 3 days is max you want to go. If you don't like peace and tranquility don't go. A few walks to go on and if you are into photography... amazing. It was pretty new when I went so I can imagine it might be getting a little shabby., at the time the accom' was excellent but I would imagine can wear down rapidly after a heavy monsoon in the mountains.

There should be more activities like this in Goa.
Terrific reading Dave and a report I will revisit over the next few days.A lot of what you say will resonate with recent visitors.

It seems that we all see the bad things going on in Goa but still the other things keep us coming back.

Considered the MD a few times but its location has always made me think twice.

As for the restaurants we also saw a lot of mostly empty places.There are possibly many reasons for this my personal ones being.

Early in the season so less tourists.

Global recession so less tourists.

Swine flu and other scares so less tourists.

General dreadful publicity surrounding Goa so less tourists.

Many,many more restaurants so less business to spread around.

As the season develops the picture will become clearer however it was not that encouraging to see places like Over The Flames empty most nights.

Difficult for us to judge in only a week as we also had a couple of days off our food with Goa gut but we were staying at The Santa Monica in Calangute and as we walked out of an evening the British haunt Why Not Prayjots was packed every night.

So confusion in Goa regarding restaurants it seems reigns.

The reports this season will be very interesting and thanks for yours.

Papa
Great Report , Thanks Dave! Got me in the mood only 2 sleeps to go :cheers
Thanks for a very interesting and balanced report, Dave. :tup

We also noticed previously busy restaurants that were half empty. All Spice and Flambe were packed a couple of years ago - three weeks ago All Spice was half full and Flambe almost empty. Mind you, I think things do move on - other restaurants get their act together and have a great season...and so it goes.

The busiest place in town is Newtons supermarket! I really don't like it (despite using it sometimes) and prefer to use the smaller shops that are really struggling since Newtons came to town. At least Newtons have stopped giving you chocolate bars instead of change!
Excellent report Dave and im now getting that Goa ache :tongue

The Oriental Thai is deffo on my list so im please at your reports that its as good as everyone else said.
I can also confirm how nice the Oriental Thai is.

Papa
A well balanced and objective report.

I like your comments about
Goa is what you make it

Maybe its a mantra we should all adopt.

GM06
Ian
Thanks for the photos elephant, it really does look stunning, agree with Big Neil also, about having more places like this throughout Goa.
Peace, tranquility, quality time - would the 'other half' notice if I went missing for a few days..
well - she would also get peace and tranquility! :rofl
Found your "block" way of writing very hard to read - more paragraphing would have made it easier and more interesting to read.
Gave up after after about line 30 - sorry but I did find it hard to read such way of writing.
perhaps then you just shouldn't have posted. There was no cause for that reply. Dave has gone to the bother of a detailed review and deserves a lot better than that comment.
Certain people will find anything to whinge about!
Great report Dave and it sounds like, despite the various problems, you will still be going back again. :tup
  • Edited by squigs 2009-12-12 21:44:55
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.