Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Cookieliz,

You'll love Greece. I've been 6 times and thoroughly enjoyed each holiday. Great weather, friendly people, beautiful beaches/scenery.

I personally think Kalamaki will be the better option. I (30) stayed with my girlfriend (24) in Argassi last year and got a taxi over to Laganas a couple of times when we fancied a wild night.

There were lots of groups of lads and girls on 18-30 style pub crawls. The main strip literally has bar after bar, each full of youngsters after a good time. Most of the bars tended to offer free shots on entry and various drinks promotions hence most people (ourselves included) were very drunk. Our taxi took us back to Argassi at just after 3am and most places were still going strong. If you do choose this resort I would pick your accomodation wisely!

Away from the main strip there were other bars more suitable for families but I'd say the resort certainly caters for young groups more. We really enjoyed our nights in Laganas (and had two lovely meals) but were glad that we weren't staying in the resort full time.

As for Kalamaki we only drove through this resort a couple of times but there seemed plenty going on. A good choice of bars and restaurants, nice beach etc.

Hope this has been of some help!

Steve
Hi Coolieliz

I have been to Laganas a few times, mainly in the quieter times of September and October and can highly recommend this resort.
If you are going in high season (July & august) I would agree with Steve that Kalamaki may be a better choice as it will be a lot busier in Laganas and Kalamaki may suite you if you wish a quieter holiday, however going at any other time I would recommend Laganas.

Eating places

Laganas has plenty of eating places ranging from the cheap fast food style to Tavernas with lovely food at reasonable prices, and there are also some slightly more expensive Tavernas for special meals if you should wish. There are also Chinese / Indian restaurants if you fancy that, but with a choice of superb Greek Tavernas you will possibly not go to them.

Nightlife

The main street going down through Laganas is where the majority of bars and clubs are to be found, having said that there are not over many and they are spaced out with tavernas, shops etc round about them.
The clubs and bars have to reduce the noise right down at Midnight and the police patrol the street to ensure this happens, however when the police have passed the music sometimes gets turned back up slightly, not overly loud though.
In all the times I have been to Laganas I have never seen anybody (groups or singles) overly drunk and have never seen any trouble of any kind.

Hotels

There are many hotels in Laganas but unlike Spain they are not all crammed together, they are generally spaced out. Many of the hotels are slightly in the countryside with perhaps an olive grove or field beside them, so you feel as if you are away from the hustle of the resort, but you are still only 5-10 minutes stroll to the resort centre.
There are also hotels that are situated along the beach front and also right in the resort centre and of course there are also some self catering apartments.
I would think the Ikaros hotel would be a suitable choice for both your son and daughter as there is plenty going on in the hotel for your son- large pool, games area, a lively but not to noisy bar with entertainment often provided (music, karaoke, quizzes etc) and the hotel is not to far from the main area of Laganas for your daughter.
The hotel is in a peaceful area of Laganas and is situated on the Kalamaki Rd.

View the hotel here

http://www.ikaroshotel.gr/en/index.php

Beach

The beach is very long and runs from Laganas right along to Kalamaki and is very clean with gently sloping sand.
The area right at the bottom of the main road is usually busy but a few minutes walk will take you to quieter stretches of the beach.

There is also a small water park and go karting available.
Car and scooter hire is also available or you can also hire bikes and cycle out in to the countryside surrounding Laganas.

The Greeks are very friendly and I am sure you would have a great time in Zakynthos (Zante) which is a very safe place for both you and your children .

Hope this is of some help, if you want any more info please just ask or send me a personal message. :)
Graham

PS also take a look at this

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=22176

Having seen your follow up below I would say Laganas would be ideal for you.

Graham :lol:
Thanks Steve for that information, very helpful. I am still not sure about Kalamaki though, I think we may need a resort where there is more to do. Places we have been before and enjoyed are...........Playa den bossa - Ibiza, Cala Millor- Majorca (twice) and Los Christianos - Tenerife.

With your experience of Greece where do you think would suit us best?
Looking at the resorts which you are used to staying in I would also think that Laganas would suit you better. We stayed in the Louis Zante beach hotel. In my opinion best location of all. Directly on the beach (the nicest bit not the part which is used as a road) About 10 minutes form the centre of the nightlife.
Thanks everyone for your help it is greatly appreciated. I have e-mailed a few hotels, Hotel Venus seems a good price but would need to get flights, does anyone know roughly how much I should be paying for flights in the first two weeks of july?
Price of flights depends partly on where you are flying from and the time of the flights. I think if you are flying from the north then you will not find daytime flights for less than £200 and probably nearer £300 per adult.
It is sometimes cheaper to book a package holiday rather than flight and hotel separately at peak holiday times.
There shouldn't be any night time flights into Zante in the summer months. It's to protect the turtles.
I can honestky say Kalamaki is the best resort I have ever visited. I have stayed there the past 2 years. I am 43 and have a 16 year old daughter. There is absolutely loads going on but it is not mad like Laganas.

There are a couple of clubs and at least 25 lively bars as well as tavernas and great restaurants. If you want a night in Laganas, it is a 6 euro taxi ride from the main strip in Kalamaki.

If you want more info, please let me know.
I would pick Laganas every time
Hi, laganas is great, if it is a mini blackpool your after, kalamaki a lot quieter, but only a short taxi ride away from laganas, Tsilivi further up is very nice and fairly lively, Argassi, allthough not stayed here but have visited falls between all three.
where ever you go you will have a brill time, but do try to hire a car as zante is one of the most beautifull islands i have been to and is well worth the effort, getting lost is allmost impossible.
apart from the clubs i would place Tsilivi on a par with Playa Den Bossa for night life, and Los Christianos on a par with Kalamaki
good luck
No way is Laganas a mini Blackpool, it's not full of drunken scots :lol:

Graham (from Scotland)
Hi everyone :)
My son is going to Kalamaki for the 1st time in 3 weeks time for two weeks in an apartment and is really looking forward to it. He does not drink alcohol but does drink lost of cola! I was wondering if you could let me know how much he will need for two weeks for food, drinks and the odd couple of trips? Thanks ever so much for your help.
Dizz x :)
Just to put my tuppence worth in I would go for Kalamaki. Great resort, plenty of really good restaurants and a few good bars. If too quiet Laganas is only a short taxi ride away.

Kalamaki is that bit more relaxed and would be a good base for the holiday. I personally wouldn't want to be in the middle of the 18-30 scene for two weeks.
Hi,

I went to Laganas last year in August with my boyfriend. It was great. There is lots of stuff to do and although there are alot of bars. My fave was Bad Boys. I would love to go again.

I think it is ideal for anyone. I highly recomend it. There are loads of nice places to eat and then theres the water park which is quite a way out but you have to give the lazy river a shot.

Def go there.

xxxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.