Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi :think

We stayed in Katelios several years ago and the beach there was sandy very quiet with no sunbeds and if you walk along the sand dunes to the left hand side towards where the turtles were nesting it becomes very shallow. We visited Myrtos beach and found at the time it was very fine shingle and rough on the feet. The sea there went deep within a few feet of the shore line not really suitable for a 4 year old.
Definately best seen from above! Very coarse sand, shingle and pebbles with bigger pebbles/rocks in the sea. As mentioned it drops away very sharply in the sea and its cold. Beaches in Lassi are lovely fine sand and Xi beach on the Lixouri peninsular is red sand
Myrtos beach is definately stunning seen from above but is also worth going down to. The surface of the beach varies from fine pebble/ sand to quite big pebbles, especially at the waters edge. Fivearches and rdc both mention that the beach shelves very sharply and believe me it does. 3 steps and you are up to your neck....or deeper depending on how tall you are! :yikes I love swimming off Myrtos because of the swell but a word of warning................Myrtos is a dangerous place to swim because of the very strong undertow. Several people are drowned there each year. I would not recommend anyone to swim there unless they are strong swimmers, and even then to take extreme care.
There are some beautiful beaches on Kefalonia which you can virtually have to yourself, no sunbeds or anything! A lot of these can be found on the eastern side of the island, Kakogilas ( a 3km drive down a forest road ) will give you a deserted beach with stunning views over to Ithaca. Horgota (Captain Corelli threw Pelagia into the sea off a specially constructed jetty here), again with stunning views over Ithaca.
There are lots of gorgeous little beaches waiting to be explored, i could go on and on! The best idea would be for you to buy a map when you get there and pick a few out and try them. You won't be dissapointed.........promise!

John :cheers
Rachael - I'l be looking forward to your report when you get back, as we don't go until August. rdv - we're staying in Lasi and although not beach addicts we do pay a couple of visits during our 2 weeks, so glad to hear that the beach in Lasi is nice.
wow, lots of good advice. Myrtos sounds amazing but not great for our little one. I might have a swim there though. And I would love to go to the Captain Correlli jetty beach as I remember that from the film- it looked beautiful.

I'll post a full report when I get back. Something tells me we are going to fall in love with Kefalonia.
Red soft sand, quiet beach (when we went), warm and shallow water for a way out = Xi beach on the Lixouri peninsula. Sit in it and watch the little fish swim around you with the little one. There's a restaurant just off the beach for a cool drink/something to eat, and easy parking. We were visiting late last September, had the beach to ourselves. Not a sunbed in sight. Don't know how much busier it will be higher in the season.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.