Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Kefalonia
11 Posts
Kefalonia is about 35 x 25 KM [arouns the same size as the isle of wight] you could proberbly drive around the compleate coast in a day

wizard
We stayed in Skala in 04, had a car for four days and saw alot of the island. One day we drove up to Fiskardo via Myrtos and had time for a swim and snorkle on a deserted beach on the way back. Another day we went to Xi beach and surrounds and then came back via the Lixouri ferry which was very pleasant, managed to drive accross the Drapano bridge ( don't know if you can do that now) and on to Sami. Going back to the island for the first week of september and staying in Agia Efemia, really looking forward to our visit as we lost all our photo's from last time! :D
We went to Skala 2 years on the trot and stayed in Paspalis [brilliant], also hired a car and went all round the island - definitely not out on a limb - it's lovely with everything on your doorstep.
Scala is a good choice however more 'noisy' and lively than Lassi. Definetely hire a car as the island has many beauties than can only be seen if you have a car. Driving from Scala to Lassi should take you about 45min to 1 hour. If you decide to hire a car I can recommend 'Express' which also has a branch is Scala (INVALID URL
Now - you see I would say Skala is quieter than Lassi - it has less bars and restaurants anyway. I'd thoroughly recommend either but have a soft spot for Skala - you won't feel out on a limb.
Hello
Sdala is about 45 minutes from Lassi by car and has more of a village feel than Lassi. It is flatter and has a nice beach and some lovely restaurants. And yes you can to the island in a day, however it is best to do it over a few days as there is so much to see.

The Drogorati caves are a must, apperently Maria Callis performed in them for the wonderful acoustics.
Also worth mentioning is the Melissani lake, an underground lake discovered after the earthquake of 1952, you'll be rowed across it in a row boat, the coulour of the water is unbelievable as light floods in from the hole in the ground above.

To get to both theses places you will drive through Enos National Park a lush and green plateau with farm land, sheep, goats and lots of small chapels, the biggest one being the convent os St Gerosimas which is next to the Robolo (wine, very good it is too) factory.

There really is too much to mention but one of my favourite is the small town of Assos, set either side of a small penisula topped off by a small fortress, truly beautiful.

Hope this helps.
I always stay in Poros which is about 10km furhter along the coast from Skala. Whilst you do have to drive for quite a while to get to the main sights of the island...........(Argostoli, Lassi, about 45mins) Fiscardo can take about 2 hours, take your time and enjoy the scenery. There is so much to see on the island and you will be able to take in all of the main sights easily in about 3 or 4 days.
Skala is a lovely resort and one of my favourite places on the island (next to Poros!) Just spend the rest of your time relaxing or enjoying some of the great walks in the area!

John :cheers
Thank you to everyone for sharing their knowledge of Kefalonia.
We have booked our holiday today - so the countdown begins!!!!
Hi Sylvia

My wife and I are just back from Lassi and I would definately recommend this resort to anyone. We stayed in the lassi Hotel which was lovely and had a fantastic sea view on the top floor. Lassi has some lovely beaches and we swam in the warm sea regularly. There are numerous restaurants and we did not have a bad meal over our 2 week stay. You can walk to Argostoli in around 15 minutes on the main road or walk the scenic route which takes around 90 minutes. It is mainly a couples island and I think Scala is about 1 hour drive away.

Whatever you do dont miss the chance to go to the beautiful island of Ithaca. We went on the Ithaca cruise and stopped at Kioni, which was lovely, on the way to Vathi.

Kefalonia is a beautiful island and we will be back again.

Enjoy your holiday.
Hi!
I was (unfortunately) only once on Kefalonia, however I'm planning my next visit next year. We stayed at cozy hotel Mirabell in Argostolli, which I warmly recommend. Especcially if you rent a car!

Have a nice vacation!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.