Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
bushbaby,

I got back from Kenya (Mombasa) last week. You require a visa to gain entry to the country. You can either obtain this prior to travelling from the Kenya High Commission in London (£30 + postage fees; you have to send them your passport so about £7 registered delivery each way), or you can obtain them at the airport (far easier and I wouldn't trust my passport in the post). The easiest is to download and print a copy of the visa form (V1) so you can fill it in before you fly. Once you get to the airport, you can go straight to immigration with your form and $50. That's what I did. There's also $20 departure tax that is payable at the check-in desk on your departure.

Darren
thanks dazbo - so just to make sure i've got this right -the $50 i've read about in holiday reviews is actually the visa fee paid on entry instead of from the kenya high commission in advance? in which case although its a bit more expensive it lets you book last minute without any worries.
thanks
bushbaby,

That's correct - $50 for your entry visa on arival at the airport (or £30 if you want to get it from the Kenya High Commission before you travel, it's the same visa / documentation, you don't need to pay it twice!), then $20 departure tax.

Darren
We did not pay any departure tax. I think it is best to get your Visa before leaving the UK if possible. I noticed a massive queue for them when we arrived in Nairobi.
jacky wrote:
We did not pay any departure tax.

Some airlines include it in the price of the ticket, many charter operators don't (eg Thomson (First Choice) and Monarch / Cosmos).

jacky wrote:
I noticed a massive queue for them when we arrived in Nairobi.

If you print your visa application form out and fill it in before you travel, you can go straight to the immigration desk on arrival and zip through while the others are busy filling them it. The reason I did that is because I wouldn't trust sending my passport in the post, I've had things go missing in the past and certainly wouldn'd want to have to fork out £85 for a new one. I found it just as easy doing it that way.

Darren
hi
i am travelling to nairobi, kenya on the 26th of may and need advice about obtaining a visa. i would prefer to get the visa at airport as i dont have much time to send off my passport as i also have to get it renewed. i was reading that you can fill the form out before you fly and be able to go straight to immigration where can i get this form from??????????????
HELP
Scroll down to Quick Forms on the Kenyan High Commission website in this link and click on Visa Form (V1) then you can print it off and fill it in ready for your departure.

http://www.kenyahighcommission.net/khccontent/index.php

Angie.
thank you so much.
you have been a great help.
ok so when i got that form it said that i needed a letter of invite because i am going to visit my brother..........is this for just getting it by sending passport off or do i need one aswell for when i get to airport......
i mean for when i get my visa on arrival at nairobi airport
hi i have read on the kenya high commision website that children under 16 don't need a entry visa so does that mean they wont have to pay depature tax? :) Thanks for your help.
As far as I know, under 16's get a sticker in their passport for their entry visa to show they are under 16 and a fee isn't applicable. It's usual however that all passengers regarless of age have to pay the departure tax. I would assume the same for Kenya.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.