America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
We have been a few times but never thought of doing a package deal. Generally get a flight to either Orlando or Miami then drive down.

Its usually best to book accomodation in advance I would think although we have occasionally just turned up. Accomodation is fairly expensive when compared with the rest of Florida particularly in Key West.

Another reason for booking before you get to Key West is that its a long way to go to find that the place is full :D :D .
A few years ago we flew into Orlando and did a fly drive - we worked our way down the coast, along the Keys and back up the other side of Florida through the Everglades.
We went in April and didn't prebook any accomodation, we just rocked up to a place and checked for vacancies. We found this especially easy on the Keys, even Key West to be honest. We stayed on Marathon, Key Largo, Islamorada and Key West.

Here's the offical tourist site for the Keys, you might find something useful on there - http://www.fla-keys.com/
Can you not fly direct to the Keys then from the UK?
As far as I know there isn't an airport on any of the Keys
If you pick up the booklet Go Florida at any tourist info office there are discount coupons for hotels/motels for the whole state.We stayed in The Washington Inn just off Duval street for $39 a night.
puddleduck2 said

As far as I know there isn't an airport on any of the Keys

There are a couple of airports but neither are available direct from the UK. Key West can be got to from Miami and recently Delta have started flights to Marathon from their Delta hub. These are the only two places where you can fly to and the airfares are quite high.

Wouldn't rely on staying anywhere these days for $39 per night either. More like $100 nowadays.

Terry

Terry
Delta has a couple of flights direct from Orlando International to Key West International every day.

I highly recommend "doing it yourself". Key West is very compact and about three days is all you need to see everything you need. You'll definitely want the leisure of taking the town in at your own pace as everything is quite relaxed there. If you rent a car, a trip up the overseas highway is very much worth it to take in some of the smaller towns and to see the beautiful color of the ocean around the islands.
Looks like a 7 day trip should do it then? Might just have a go at a spot of fishing in the Keys...I here its THE place to try?

Thank you everyone for your help. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.