Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Koni Apts Stalis
18 Posts
just returned from the koni there were lots of young people there although they weren't too much of a nuisance but I can't understand why they have no security at night now there are so many young ones there.big fault for me this year and I've been going there for many years was the fact it's not as clean as it used to be our room wasn't being cleaned properly and the little pool had an awful green stain round it had already booked to go back in Sept and if there's no improvement probably my last visit.I like to add though Stalis resort bars and taverns have worked really hard to keep prices down again this year.
Rick
Hi Rick
Thanks for your reply, thought that might be the case, we wont bother then....any recommendations for other apts in stalis
M
Definitely- I can 100% recommend the Socrates studios and apartments. They are in an ideal position between Stalis and Malia with restaurants and bars far enough away to be peaceful, yet close enough to get to.

My review's the 5th down here and my sister, Helen's is above it.
will agree with Shirley - a brilliant location almost at the edge of the resort, but within easy reach of everything. A brilliamt place for sleeping at night, as it's up a quiet lane, and the doors of the room are so heavy they block out all noise. Drink & food prices at the pool bar were excellent and the staff were helpful, but only when you required it. I can't recommend it enough.
Hi
I did look at reviews for Socrates, but was a bit worried it was too near Malia and it would be full of teenagers partying till all hours.
Those days are well gone , just want nice places to eat and have a drink or two and to be able to go back to the apartments and have a peaceful nights sleep :tup
M
When we were there (high season, August) it was a lovely peaceful place- Only couples and families. Although Malia was only up the road we slept peacefully all night and sis and I are very light sleepers.
Agree with Shirley and Helen about Socrates Appts. Not been during August , but have been in July (2006) and twice during September (2005 & 2007). Never had any problems with rowdy teenagers and as Helen mentioned, the room doors are so thick they tend to cancel out any noise from anyone in the corridors being a bit noisy whilst arriving back in the wee small hours. Can't recommend these appts enough. My fiancee (46) and myself (almost 50 !! lol) love the place and are going there again on 12 Sept 2010 for what will be our 4th visit in 6 years. :sun2
I've never stopped at these apartments but at the top of the road on the main road is probably one of the best tavernas in crete "the kreta" visit there every other night we always head back to stalis along the beach road around midnight and we always marvel as you walk down that lane past the socrates how quiet it is.
Rick
I know the restaurant you mean juggernaut. We had a meal there towards the end of our holiday. It was packed out but we managed to get a table. We had to wait so long to be served though, we nearly walked out. I know they were busy but it took about 20 mins for them to ask if we wanted a drink. The food was lovely though.
It never bothers us shirleyh we often stay late anyway with george the owner and he usually comes for a drink with us so we are never in an hurry, although this year he has been a bit quieter so the service has been quicker.Siga Siga as the greeks say.
Rick
Hi Rick,
we are regulars to Greece so we know it's no good being in a hurry for anything but that night we'd been on a long walk, we were boiling hot and were in need of a drink. We thought we should have at least been offered a drink within a reasonable time but they were exceptionally busy so they were forgiven ;)
The main reason I stopped holidaying east of Heraklion was the kind of experience described in this thread. The main resorts to the east are simply not very Cretan any more. It's a shame but they have been ruined by a certain, predominately British style of mass tourism. If you want authentic, traditional Cretan hospitality then head west. You'll also find the best scenery (White Mountains), the best beaches (Falasarna, Elafonissi) and as many great bars and clubs as you could wish for (Chania area). Once you spend a holiday in western Crete you'll rarely venture east again. I've yet to meet anybody that disagrees with that point of view.
As I've mentioned before on this site, I'd love to go to Western crete but it's not easy to get to- no flights from any of our nearby airports (and our nearby ones are between 1 and 2 hours away). I don't like travelling for 4 hours or more unless I have to for the Caribbean.
I know Richard you like that part of the island but I was in Rethymnon in August last year and it is touristy just not full of brit tourists, it is a lovely place but be warned anyone who goes there and is used to paying Stalis " prices" I'm afraid that I can see no justification for charging almost double for a large beer to what I've just been paying in Stalis and 9 euro for a sunbed sorry but I also want to be able to enjoy myself without having to double check everytime I go somewhere for a meal or a drink also the locals are nowhere near as sociable it's definetely more money orientated there.
Rick.
Hi Juggernaut,
Rethymnon is at the extreme east end of the area usually defined as Western Crete. Head to the Chania area and even further west and you'll find the real Crete. It's great value and far more traditional. I've never paid more than 5 euros for a sunbed, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's 6 euros this year! I do know the East and south very well and of course there are some nice areas but they lack the scale, beauty and drama of the West. Finally I must respond on your point about sociable locals. I find them so friendly and generous. You still get offered a traditional meze at no cost just for stopping at their taverna. If you want nightclubs then go to Platanias, about 10k west of Chania.....the best all night raves on the island! ....and eating out is still half the price of England.
The truth is Crete has something for everyone....it just depends what you're looking for. I do a lot of business in Greece both on the mainland and the islands. In my view Crete beats most for variety and character. The West just has that little bit more of both.
Couldn't agree more, I've been a regular there for 25 years now and I want to retire there eventually,I went to the Stalis area for my first visits and made so many friends that we see year in year out, that, that is as much part of the attraction for us as the area.I will return to the rethymnon area in the future but as I say it just doesn't have the same draw for me.It is a pity though that there are not more flights to that area for people who want to enjoy it.
Rick
we could certainly swap some tales then Juggernaut. I first went to Crete (Elounda) in the early 70's and at that time Greece was still a police state and you couldn't get anything that was on the menus and the locals were stille loathe to visit Spinalonga! When I first went to Chania area the road signs and menus were bi-lingual (Greek/German) because the most frequent visitors were German (visiting the cemetry at Malame). Then the Brits took over but caused so much trouble when drunk that the hoteliers started to favour the Scandinavians. Now it's 90% Scan but there's no trouble and it's allowed the Cretan culture to re-emerge. Mind you the hoteliers still complain because the Scans don't spend so much in the bars as the Brits used to. Like you we have friends in the region and they tell us that it's about survival now because costs have risen so much through taxes and they dare not pass it all on to the tourists. I'll be out there in a couple of weeks and plan to take some extra euros and maybe even a few drachma for nostalgia!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.