Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Koupes
9 Posts
Possibly because it is more a Turkish (Çılbak Köftesi, or Bulgur Koftesi) dish than a Greek dish?
Most of the bakeries have Koubes (κοÏ!πες) available.

Sigma bakeries tend to have them in the cool cabinets and sometimes by the cash till as do Sunfresh. Zorbas also have them available.

I tend to find I prefer the ones from Sigma.

If you want them with minced meat they are usually referred to as having (keemah) inside them as there is also a variety with mushroom (maneetahreeah) and I think it's spinach as well. I find them a little bit on the slimy side.

And - I think the smaller ones are nicer than the large koubes ;)
Enjoy :cheers
I'm aware that very similar dishes appear in other countries but as far as I'm aware the "koupes" with a centre of minced pork is Cypriot (could be wrong.. but similar ones I've seen in other countries aren't exactly the same... ).. thanks for the info on shops...

Still wondering if they aren't eaten a lot from day to day... are they only made at certain times of year ?... only at certain festivals ?...
Can't wait to try these

I love meat in any form
If you love meat in many forms, you are in for a real treat in Cyprus...

Kleftiko - lamb (usually shank) cooked until its so tender you can eat it with a spoon !
Stifado - beef cooked with baby onions in a redwine and vinegar sauce.
Keftedes - little spicy meatballs, really tasty
Sheftalia - a sort of hand made sausage, again really tasty and lovely and moist
Souvlaki - finger food at its finest, skewers of pork (sometimes chicken) on little skewers brushed with lemon, oregano, garlic and cooked over charcoal
Souvla - as above but on a much bigger scale, (first time we had this was at BBQ night in the Livas hotel .. excellent !)
Tavas - another slow roasted stew dish, often with Pork but can be lamb or beef

if you are lucky you might see some other dishes like Liver and onions (as it tends not to be on the menu as most people don't like liver.. personally I love the stuff and was eating it even though it cost more than steak in one place !!)...

and thats just the Cypriot recipes.. you can also get just about any other countires food as well !... very good Indian in Pernera (the Shalimar)...
AskCy
Liver and Onions - Green Garden in Vrysoulles. Trust me it's worth the drive :tup
AskCy wrote:
If you love meat in many forms, you are in for a real treat in Cyprus...

Kleftiko -
Stifado -
Keftedes - little spicy meatballs, really tasty
Sheftalia - a sort of hand made sausage, again really tasty and lovely and moist
Souvlaki - finger food at its finest, skewers of pork (sometimes chicken) on little skewers brushed with lemon, oregano, garlic and cooked over charcoal
Souvla - as above but on a much bigger scale, (first time we had this was at BBQ night in the Livas hotel .. excellent !)
Tavas - another slow roasted stew dish, often with Pork but can be lamb or beef

Had
Kleftiko, Stifado and Soulaki on Zante so I do know I LIKE them

will watch out for the others and may be nick some recipes too
I'm aware that very similar dishes appear in other countries but as far as I'm aware the "koupes" with a centre of minced pork is Cypriot (could be wrong.. but similar ones I've seen in other countries aren't exactly the same... ).. thanks for the info on shops...

Still wondering if they aren't eaten a lot from day to day... are they only made at certain times of year ?... only at certain festivals ?...

I think they are more of a snack food so you don't find them on menus in restaurants - hence they are readily available in the big bakeries and possibly in the hot food takeaways (psistahreeah). They are available all year round. Enjoy :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.