Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Carihuela is an extension of Torremolinos in one direction and Benalmadena in the other... I have often walked along its' seafront on our regular constitutionals from Torremolinos to Torreblanca (we take the train down and walk back.. four hours on the hoof, one hour stop in Bonanza Square, Benalmadena for lunch, highly recommended). Anyway, can't speak with any great degree of authority on Carihuela, as I've never stayed there and we long ago stopped going down to what used to be great fish restaurants and probably still are, when they became so expensive. By and large, prices along the promenade there would tend to be the highest in that area. Its a lovely part of our walk, the seafront with the little shops, probably the least tacky of all those on our route, and the cooler back streets. The Marina is also within easy walking distance. Just not sure if there'd be much for kids, other than the beach. Paloma Park is quite a bit away, far end of Benalmadena, rear of Benal Beach apartments. Lovely to walk round, lots of birds and small animals running free, and you can feed them, but, here again, I imagine for kids... once seen... although there is an adventure playground type of thing with climbing frames etc and the Selwo seaworld is also there. Torremolinos aquapark is closer to Carihuela and there's also Tivoli World at Benalmadena, behind the train station and under the cable car. Would not for a moment wish to influence your choice and someone with more knowledge of staying in Carihuela might offer more, but I'd say, that with kids, Torremolinos, Benalmadena or Fuengi would be better. Hope that helps
Hi
I asked the exact same question last year (i have since booked for La Carihuela and so looking forward to it)
A member named Sanji who knows the area very well posted this reply -

" I feel as though I should tell you a little bit about the area......
La Carihuela village, was a fishing village, so the big difference is that you are in a village and not a town.
You could walk for miles and never have to worry about traffic.....if you carry on walking left and around the headland, you will be in Bajondillo area of Torremolinos, with the town centre set high on the cliff.
But, it doesn't stop there, you can get a lot out of the nearby resorts.
A short bus ride or a 25 minute walk by the side of the road and you will be in Torremolinos town centre at town level, a short bus ride or a walk on the promenade passed the Puerto Marina and you can join the promenade on the Benalmadena side.

There is just so much to do for the kids and although it's going to cost, there's also the great beach for free.
EG:
Torremolinos Aquapark
Benalmadena Puerto Marina with boats trips and lively bars./discos
A walk into Benalmadena and when you get to the windmill roundabout, just off from the roundabout is one of the entrances to Paloma park, which is just a fabulous park at 200,000 sq metres, with the animals for the 3 year old.
In Arroyo de la Miel there's Tivoli world amusement Park.
The cable car ride to the top of Mount Calamorro next to Tivoli world.
Selwo Marine Park situated next to Paloma Park for the Dolphins, Sea Lions, Penquins etc.
Sea Life in Benalmadena Puerto Marina.
A bus ride into Fuengirola for the Zoo.

There are loads of restaurants/bars of different nationalities in the main street down in Carihuela village"¦.. there's Spanish, Chinese, Indian, British, Italian, Dutch etc.
When stood facing the hotel Pez Espada on Calle Salvador Allende, if you walk right along the road, you will eventually come to all the British/Irish bars.
La Carihuela is a really laid back family orientated resort, although on the promenade there are a couple of beach bars that are "lively". (El Horno and Playa Miguel)
There are plenty of shops and restaurants, and the main street in the village (Calle Bulto) is pedestrianised, so there's no worry about having a car up your back-end.

If you want discos and live entertainment, then Carihuela is not for you .....the discos and "lively" bars can be found in Benalmadena Marina, Torremolinos or Benalmadena itself.
If you want a family orientated laid back chill out place,(not dead) with plenty of bars to have a drink and several options within walking distance......IMO, go for it.
There are more people who fall in love with La Carihuela than those who don't, but don't take my word for it, just read some reviews around the internet, to get the idea".

Hope this helps
I think although La Carihuela is a quieter area of Torremolinos you are only 15 - 20 minmin walk in either direction along sea front to either More central Torremolinos or Benalmedena Marina....sounds ideal to me
Jo
Waal thank you Jojoxxx2001

That was very detailed and I will look at the places you suggested. I am certainly not after disco or that live entertainment since its just me and my small kids so that is out of question. In fact its the quitness and the ability to walk everywhere that attaracted me. I will be staying at the palace complex so I just hope now the whether will have mercy on us.
The Dark Side of the Moon is a small restaurant situated in Montemar, just 100 yards or so west of Carihuela. Ideal place to bring the kids at lunchtime. No airs or graces here. Nor tablecloths. Good, honest fare at good, honest prices.
http://www.ratepubs.com/pub/19232/general.htm
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.