Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
la renfe
18 Posts
Yes, they take €5, €10 and €20 notes.
Although the machine takes a twenty euro note, it can be an absolute nightmare trying to get them to accept the notes.

On numerous occassions I have had to leave the machine and just pay the "double fare" fine or miss the train. I always try to have some loose euros just incase.
That isn't my experience, in fact I can't ever remember having any note returned. If you read the instructions, it asks you to put the bank note in face-up with the note against the left-hand side of the slot.
O.K. thanks for that.
by the way, what is the fare to Torreblanca?
To Fuengirola the cost last time was 1euro 70 cents. It may be 10 cents either way to Torreblanca which I think is 2 stops before Fuengirola.

Aquilamike, good comment regarding the machine, I just pointed out that it is difficult to use sometimes. Its good you never have a problem but it does exist, as I use it on a regular basis and can read the instructions.
If you look at the Cercanias site for Malaga-Fuengirola it will tell you the fare,it goes in zones.You can get on one stop and get off the next,or you could get on the same place and travel 3-4 stops ,it could cost you the same,as long as they fall in the same zone.
Ticket machines have a habit of crashing,esp the one at El Penillo.Ive seen people give up waiting for it to come back on line,board the train and be fined double.Trying to explain to the inspector that the machine wasnt working doesnt seem to work.
Hi Pipefitter. When was the last time you were aware of the "double fare" for those travelling without a ticket? When I was out in September I was told this practice had stopped because the collectors had threatened to go on strike due to the hassle from ticketless passengers.
When I got on the train at Malaga Airport without a ticket (the machine was kaput) I just paid the normal fare to Torremuelle.
Thanks for all your comments folks, I think I`ll get a coffee in the Arrivals cafeteria and make change.
If your anything like me Mick my pocket has allways got a handfull of shrapnel left after my last European holiday.I hang on to it and take it with me next time.Handy for places where you need a euro coin for arrivals trolly.
Tony,as you say,the practice has probably been stopped since the last time I saw it happen,which was last Feb I think.
This is the first time I haven`t brought a bit of coin home, I used it all to tip the taxi driver who brought us up to the airport from the Buensol a fortnight ago. Now all I hope is that this bloody fog lifts off CWL airport by tomorrow 10.20 a.m.
I'm in Cardiff and its quite dense at the moment but am sure it will clear for you and you'll have a good time.

Sarah
Thanks Sarah, my daughter is at the airport at this very minute getting a flt to Glasgow and it is totally clear. Hasn`t lifted in Newport all day
O.K. heres the gen on the ticket situation. The machine on the airport would not take notes, it also would only take the exact amount of coins(1Euro.5cents to Torreblanca) apparently it was out of change. On the way back the Torreblanca machine was out of order so we paid on the train, no problem no double fare no hassle from the conductor. So no worries there. I changed my 20 euro note in the bank in Arrivals. It seems that the penalties have been dropped, owing to the unreliabilty of the ticket machines.
Hummm ........

Those banknote validators are BNA562's made by MEI in Switzerland. I've several years experience of installing / servicing them here in the UK and they are the most reliable validator ever made.

Perhaps I should be approaching RENFE for a job !
I think that the machine was out of change as it would accept the correct amount with no problem. The best part about is that we never saw the conductor all the way down to Torreblanca, so a few people had a free ride.
I think the machine is probably O.K. but the service and maintenance may not be.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.