Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hi Dave,
You could do a lot worse than check out http://www.simplylagos.com. It's a great site which will give you a real taste for the town.If there's anything you want to know that you can't find on simplylagos, just shout and I'll try to help.
Hi Dave :D

I am not an expert like Sagres but did spend a fortnight there this summer. There is a huge choice of restaurants and bars. We liked:

Triangulo (tulips roundabout) - Portuguese Food
Pirates (tulips roundabout) - International
O' Navagador (need to book if its a weekend in the summer) - Fish
A Vaca - Swiss
West (on the Marina) - International
Cosmopolitan (I think it was called?) - Portuguese - slow service as
everything is cooked fresh, not a problem for us.
Dos Artista- French? - Mega Expensive

Not sure if these are going to be to your taste, if you want really local ones you may have to take the car and go inland a bit. Years ago we ate in what appeared to be someones front garden choosing food from the guys fridge. :shock:

Regarding the day trips I would say you can't really go wrong if you drive out west from Lagos towards Cape St Vincent. There are various villages and quiet beaches you can stop at and I am sure you will find local restaurants there for lunch, can't advise on any as we always took picnics. ( I have two youngish teens and therefore can't manage two restaurants a day).

There are free maps in the town. The only place that is built up west of Lagos is Luz so you might want to give it a miss although it does have a nice beach.

Silves is good if you fancy some history, it has a castle and river, Puddleduck recently put some photos of Silves in the HT gallery & I put some of Western Algarve, Dos Artista, the Marina Club Apts, Sand Sculptures etc

You could also try Alvor for a day trip. I beleive this is the first resort going east and is supposed to be nice.

We drove to Albuferia as I was curious about the new Marina and we went to Algarve Shopping one day, but that depends on if you like big shops. There are plenty of interesting small shops to satisfy most folks need for retail in Lagos!

Glynis did a brilliant trip report the first time she went, when I have more time I will try to find it for you. (although now she has insulted Londoners on another thread I might go off in a huff and stop complimenting her :wink: )

Hope this helps, although I do worry about giving restaurant recommendations as it is such a personal thing.

What accommodation are you staying in?

Doe
Click Here for my trip report from Lagos.

(sorry Doe :oops: the written word strikes again - wasn't Londoners was more the families behaviour)
:rofl You just know there is always going to be someone waiting to trip you up Glynis.

Dave

As well as the trips that Glynis and I did which are based around hiring a car, there are also organised day trips such as jeep safaris with lunch and coach trips to various places of interest. There are shops in Lagos that organise these and would probably be cheaper than Thomson/First Choice et al.

It depends on your taste really, it's just that we prefer an independant type holiday if possible but there is are people there that will do it all for you should you so wish.
(sorry Doe the written word strikes again - wasn't Londoners was more the families behaviour)
..... that's got to be the most :offtop remark this forum's ever witnessed - and from Admin too !! :tut :lol:
Dave,I wouldn't spend too much time looking for the Cosmopolitan restaurant - 'cos I don't think there is one ! :) If Doe would explain the whereabouts, I'll try and work out where she means.(Quick guess - the Mediterraneo by any chance, Doe ?) :)
Very possibly Sagres, quite small probably only eight tables with a big open window (well in July anyway, what a pointless piece of info. :oops: ) and you can see the owner doing the cooking. Specials were on a blackboard. I had chicken in fresh pineapple it was delicious. All I ever do is talk about food.

Just down from is it McMullens? the one that you described to me as having the most politically incorrect menu in the world. :rofl
The one down the road from Mullens ( no Mc. :) ) is O Artista - that's the more expensive one.The Mediterraneo is near the top of Rua 25 Abril - the main drag.
I think it is Mediterraneo as it was at the top of the main drag. :D Lovely food as all the veg had obviously been cooked fresh but he was run off his feet as it was Saturday night and every table was taken. He apologised profusely for how long it took but we didnt really mind just got on with the tinto.
The Mediterraneo is in the process of changing hands, apparently;we were speaking to a couple in Christian's Kitchen in September, who had come over to complete negotiations to purchase it.They were hoping to complete before the year end so we'll check it out next week -( we were promised a free bottle of wine, now that I think about it !! :pele )
Up the slight hill, going inland from the Tiangulo is the Portuguese restaurant -bar called Pinquin. It very cheap and serves a goor variety of food. Its about 5 minutes stroll from Triangulo. 2 course meal with 2 bottle of wine for 2 people cost 30 euros.
I'd give O Pinguim a miss if there's football on the telly,Dave, as it's given priority over customers and the service is abysmal during matches.
Hello, thank you all for your input, it gives me a good start on the restaurant side. Could do with some bars as well, and 'doepsmc' we are trying the, Albergaria Marina Rio near the bus station and harbour we have paid a bit extra for a harbour veiw and the best bit is for us ( no kids)

Dave
The Amuras bar on the marina has live music once or twice a week and the staff there are all friendly;there is also computer access there,but you've also got that at the Marina Rio (reception area is wi-fi enabled if you're taking your laptop (and anorak !!) :rofl )
There's a super cocktail bar at the hotel Marina Sao Roque, on the road behind the marina;Manuel,the owner of the hotel used to own 'Shakers' cocktail bar, the first cocktail bar in town and non-residents are welcome.Beside the cocktails, there is also draught beer(San Miguel) and an unbelievable range of whiskies and liqueurs - I remember that, when he still had Shaker's bar, he had well over 100 different varieties of Scotch.
Closer to the Marina Rio, opposite the entrance to the Tivoli Lagos, is Luis' Pub ( used to be 'bar' but he's gone all British on us all of a sudden!).If my memory serves me correctly, they used to have a quiz night there - I'll be in there next week and will check for you if I remember ( BIG,BIG IF !! :D )
In town there is Stevie Ray's Jazz & Blues bar, but, last September, they seemed to be aiming their music towards a younger clientele - pity if they do, as they used to get some really good live bands there;here again, I may be able to give you an update after next week's jaunt;please remind me if you don't see an update.
Hi Sagres, just reading your post I know its :offtop , but you & Mrs Sagres have a wonderful holiday :fly :glynis , hope there is plenty Monte Velho available, as stocks were very low when I left in November. cheers Jayjan
:oops: A Public apology to doepsmc :oops:

I don't know why, but I've just remembered eating in the Cosmopolitan restaurant, quite a few years ago.By coincidence, it's only a hundred yards or so from the Mediterraneo (the one I thought you might have been referring to), but tucked away in a narrow little street that we hardly ever use.
Please accept this as an abject apology;-I'm off now to have a slice of humble pie,washed down with a glass or two of Monte Velho Tinto. :oops: :glynis
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.